X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    Greg Swaim claiming Big 12 is talking durectly or thru intermediary with all four corners schools, probably others. He is also reporting ESPN bid is $90 million/year for whole conference for 1 game on network and one game on streaming plus per week. That's barely MWC and AAC value.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...smc9QhKCA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...YPMxv8KMQ&s=19
    A. I'm confused at the 90M. Did you mean PAC 12 there?
    B. Greg Swaim is not credible in my opinion. He's a talk radio guy. Anything for ratings. I called him on his BS years ago and he blocked me.
    Last edited by Lobot; 03-28-2023, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Greg Swaim claiming Big 12 is talking durectly or thru intermediary with all four corners schools, probably others. He is also reporting ESPN bid is $90 million/year for whole conference for 1 game on network and one game on streaming plus per week. That's barely MWC and AAC value.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...smc9QhKCA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...YPMxv8KMQ&s=19

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    I am not doubting the contact between the Big 12 and Fresno but I suspect that it may be a warning to certain PAC 12 schools that if they do not join soon, then there will not be an opening or opportunity for them later. If contacting Fresno were true, I would say that the Big 12 should go after SDU first and steal them from the PAC and make the PAC go after Fresno. I will not believe anything until a media rights deal has been announced. There are stories that Amazon is going after soccer and if they do, the PAC may be out of any good deal with Amazon. With all of the layoffs and cutbacks in media and big-tech, the PAC may be having troubles landing that media rights deal that they all think that they will get. If no deal for the PAC is announced by mid-April, I think then, you will see some heavy rumors about defections. Like some have said, there are companies out there looking for pennies on the dollar deal with the PAC.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Fresno State confirms big 12 contact

https://247sports.com/Article/Confer...ogs-207287554/

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied

Are you sure about that? SportsCenter has shown SEC highlights from CBS and Noter Shame highlights from NBC and other Fox games. I'd guess ESPN pays a small fee for each of those as part of the production cost, or has a negatiated fee to show no more than X amount of time for each game. The games on ESPN/ABC get much more playing time, but the others still get a mention. I'd hope Apple/Amazon would do the same thing to help maximize exposure. If not, you are correct, streaming will nearly kill Pac 10 viewership.
    Just for comparison's sake, they're have been plenty of NFL highlights shown on ESPN that were pulled from the Amazon Thursday NIght football streaming broadcasts.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

If ESPN is not involved, there will be no highlights, no mention, no coverage of the conference on TV.
    Are you sure about that? SportsCenter has shown SEC highlights from CBS and Noter Shame highlights from NBC and other Fox games. I'd guess ESPN pays a small fee for each of those as part of the production cost, or has a negatiated fee to show no more than X amount of time for each game. The games on ESPN/ABC get much more playing time, but the others still get a mention. I'd hope Apple/Amazon would do the same thing to help maximize exposure. If not, you are correct, streaming will nearly kill Pac 10 viewership.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

A lot of folks in media have stated that Amazon only wants game of the week stuff from the PAC and Apple doesn’t seem to be interested. Makes you wonder who’s bluffing.
    This states that the deal is close to being finalized including ESPN, Amazon and Apple. It also says that nobody really knows. There is a Zoom meeting with the presidents this week. Future of Pac-12 at stake for George Kliavkoff as media-rights saga nears conclusion | The Seattle Times If ESPN is not involved, there will be no highlights, no mention, no coverage of the conference on TV.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied

I agree with you. My point was that with rumors about the Big 10 having even more interest in Oregon cannot be good news for the other members or the media companies trying to negotiate a deal.

In other news, Forbes is reporting that a streaming service for the PAC 12 media rights would be a great fit because of the relationship between the PAC and tech valley. There is even a silicon forest in Oregon. Is this a way to soften the news that the primary account will be with Amazon or Apple?
    A lot of folks in media have stated that Amazon only wants game of the week stuff from the PAC and Apple doesn’t seem to be interested. Makes you wonder who’s bluffing.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied

I don't think it is likely that Robbins knew of any initial talks between Big 10 and USC, much less that Oregon was a preferred choice over UCLA. Everyone was stunned when this news broke and it only broke with announcement of USC and UCLA. Robbins' speculation may be true, and it is brilliant if Fox wanted to tie up the entire LA market in one fell swoop, but no one saw that coming.
    I agree with you. My point was that with rumors about the Big 10 having even more interest in Oregon cannot be good news for the other members or the media companies trying to negotiate a deal.

In other news, Forbes is reporting that a streaming service for the PAC 12 media rights would be a great fit because of the relationship between the PAC and tech valley. There is even a silicon forest in Oregon. Is this a way to soften the news that the primary account will be with Amazon or Apple?

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Was Oregon the preferred team of the BIG 10 over UCLA? Did Fox squash that in order to have the LA market completely tied up? Will the BIG 10 come back for Oregon? This rumor has to have the rest of the PAC (and their media suitors) worried. Pac-12 President Reveals Big Ten Preferred Another School Over UCLA (msn.com)
    I don't think it is likely that Robbins knew of any initial talks between Big 10 and USC, much less that Oregon was a preferred choice over UCLA. Everyone was stunned when this news broke and it only broke with announcement of USC and UCLA. Robbins' speculation may be true, and it is brilliant if Fox wanted to tie up the entire LA market in one fell swoop, but no one saw that coming.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Was Oregon the preferred team of the BIG 10 over UCLA? Did Fox squash that in order to have the LA market completely tied up? Will the BIG 10 come back for Oregon? This rumor has to have the rest of the PAC (and their media suitors) worried. Pac-12 President Reveals Big Ten Preferred Another School Over UCLA (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Then there's this. Help me out here with Outkick. Is that a FOX property these days?

https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-media...ose-espn-deal/
    Fox purchased Outkick in May 2021. I have no odea if this article is true or a product of Endeavor PR firm. Some reports take a decidely Big 12 stance and some clearly slant to Pac10.

My two cents: The Pac10 should be able to build a more solid product with Oregon and Washington as anchors than the Big 12 without UT-Austun and OU. My almost any metrics the brand powerof Ore/Wash is bigger than any combination of 3 Big 12 teams (IMO). With that Yormark has been able to get more value from the tv market reach and having content across multiple time zones. The remaining Pac10 schools have more world class educational institutions and good football value at the top. So why did the Big 12 get a quick good media rights deal? In part due to potential, in part due to time slots, and in part because the Networks don't want the bottomhalf of Pac10.

In essence: the Yormark contracted Endeavor PR firm is winning the perception game and has sold the Networks on his expansion plan. if Fox can get 4 Pac 10 schools in Big 12, they keep desirable content at a bargain rate compared to letting top two schools join Big 10. I still maintain 4 corners is a smokescreen on Big 12 part, and you see ASU, AZ, and UT AD or president statements because they are the bait to lure big prize. Yormark and Fox will take any two 4 corners school if it means also adding the two Pacific Northwest big brands. This may be the only mistake that Brett has made. He'd likely have better shot at those top targets by taking all 4 Pacific NW schools.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    If pac10 tv deal that is being pitched to the school presidents was as good as Canzano claims, it would've been leaked or immediately approved/announced. Every minute they don't have a deal lowers their credibility
    Then there's this. Help me out here with Outkick. Is that a FOX property these days?

https://www.outkick.com/pac-12-media...ose-espn-deal/

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Reverse Expansion !!!! The NEC has lost a team. St. Francis NY has eliminated all athletics. They were D-1 in basketball.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    If pac10 tv deal that is being pitched to the school presidents was as good as Canzano claims, it would've been leaked or immediately approved/announced. Every minute they don't have a deal lowers their credibility

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X