X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Illuminerdski, it has been said that the best way for the GOR of the ACC to be broken is that the majority of the teams vote to dissolve it. If over half of the teams feel that they will be picked up by either the BIG 10 or the SEC, it may just happen. So, let's try to figure out just who the SEC or BIG10 might be interested in. These teams would be FSU, Clemson, Miami, and then who?

Leave a comment:

• Illuminerdski
    replied
    With everyone focused on the PAC, I did notice some ACC GoR related chatter that may have been missed. Doing a search for 'ACC media deal' on youtube, I found some online sport commentators talking about various scenarios where the ACC GoR might get challenged soon.

The first scenario would be the ACC being sued outright over the GoR. It is mentioned that this would have the best chance of success as the number of schools suing goes up and that a single school suing is a non-starter.

The second scenario would be one where the top 4 schools (Clemson and Florida St are mentioned more often than most with #3 and #4 being various schools) who feel that they have the best chance or getting into the Big Ten and/or SEC will try to partner with 4 other schools to pay a portion in revenue lost between their ACC deal and a post ACC deal through the period the GoR would have went through. Once the consortium of 8 schools is made, they will use the majority to dissolve the conference freeing them from the GoR. It is mentioned that the only thing holding this back is the ability to find partner schools.

I don't know if any of this would be successful, but it is interesting to hear it discussed.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    San Diego State says that they will be joining either the PAC or the Big 12. They are the best option in the west. What happens to the PAC if the BIG 12 takes SDSU first? This is just for discussion because I really do not want SDSU in UC's conference. San Diego State' AD confirms the school will join the Pac-12 or Big 12 eventually (msn.com)
    SD State is a non-starter for Big 12 unless they accept considerably less than other members, but even then I don't like it because all members should be on equal playing field in short span, and SD St hasn't done what is needed to earn a bid. This is similar to the Big 10 chatter that they can add Oregon and Washington for long-term partial shares. I call the BullShoot on this for two reasons. A. They do deserve to be on equal footing in a power conference and have earned it. B If the Big 10 wanted them, they should've added them with UckLa and USC.

Given the moves Yormark has made in his first year, I give him full benefits of the doubt. I have confidence in what he is doing to make the Big 12 as strong as possible. SD State doens't make the Big 12 stronger. The four corners schools do not make the Big 12 stronger. There are only two Pac 10 teams that add value, and those Pacific NW schools are only just now starting to pick up the phone and listen when 3rd party intermediaries call on Yormark's behalf. I hope Yormark is offering both a full tv revenue share beginning July 1, 2024 and an acceptable buyout should the Big 10 come calling later. Neither Oregon or Washington should sign a GoR with the Big 12 or the Pac 10. However, I do believe if they join the Big 12 it will last into the next media deal and past the ACC breakup.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    San Diego State says that they will be joining either the PAC or the Big 12. They are the best option in the west. What happens to the PAC if the BIG 12 takes SDSU first? This is just for discussion because I really do not want SDSU in UC's conference. San Diego State' AD confirms the school will join the Pac-12 or Big 12 eventually (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Only $20 million to build a stadium? Either they left off a zero or they are expanding enough to put in a field, sidelines, goal posts, and a few tv crew perches.

Also, no mention of Title IX. Will they need to add more women's sports or drop some men's teams?
    I believe that the article said non-scholarship players. That would mean it has no effect on women's sports. Also, I cannot see them having over a couple thousand people in the stands. They may be building a high school stadium with sideline bleachers. I think that they should play in the Greater Cincinnati Catholic League where they would be in the bottom half of the standings.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied

Only $20 million to build a stadium? Either they left off a zero or they are expanding enough to put in a field, sidelines, goal posts, and a few tv crew perches.

Also, no mention of Title IX. Will they need to add more women's sports or drop some men's teams?
    As I recall, football was exempted from the rules surrounding the comparative number of male and female scholarship athletes at a school. As the article states, XU has a 57-43 ratio of women to men matriculated, and they want to rebalance to some extent.

Leave a comment:

• Geaux Juan
    replied

In 2023, there are ways around Title IX requirements.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Per Jason Scheer, the AZ "Chad Brendel", reported that Colorado brass and B12 brass will meet next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Here is a shocker, a local U may add football to increase enrollment. Here’s what Xavier AD says is the key to adding football - Cincinnati Business Courier (bizjournals.com)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Also to consider is that schools such as San Diego has to give notice prior to July 1 to get out by 2024. That is if the PAC offers them membership. SMU may have a longer wait.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Valid question. I'm guessing but it might be because the fiscal year turns over for most public schools on July 1 and the separation fee probably goes down a notch at that point. That's the same date that UC will effectively actually join the BIg XII.
    http://www.2knightsmedia.com/the-see...aking-so-long/

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    I can't believe this topic is still ongoing and quiet. Why haven't the PAC teams started to bail yet?
    Geroge K has been adamant he will get 50% linear with same money as Big 12, and the presidents have bought into what he is selling until recently. It now looks like at least the AZ and CU presidents have put a deadline onto GK to "show them the money". I'd look for more cracks to appear in May with movement in June. Pac-10 schools have until June 30th to inform the conference they are moving, and this will allow them to begin new conference play Jul 1, 2024 (when the current media deal ends).

There has also been some renewed buzz the new Big 10 commissioner wants to pursue Oregon and Washington at a discounted payout to take advantage of the situation. I personally hated to hear it, because I think those are the only two Pac 10 programs I really desire. There are a few others that are okay, but those two add value to the Big 12 immediately. I'd even let them have a 12 month notice high buyout and a 24 month medium buyout price without GoR.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    I can't believe this topic is still ongoing and quiet. Why haven't the PAC teams started to bail yet?
    Valid question. I'm guessing but it might be because the fiscal year turns over for most public schools on July 1 and the separation fee probably goes down a notch at that point. That's the same date that UC will effectively actually join the BIg XII.

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca2099
    replied

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X