Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brett McMurphy: ecision may occur in 2 weeks, which would be “major coup” for Big 12. GU may accept less revenue (like SMU to ACC), source said.

Comment

• Maybe they jump on Oregon St and Wazzu if they get a commit from Gonzaga?

Yormark wanted all 4 time zones.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Maybe they jump on Oregon St and Wazzu if they get a commit from Gonzaga?

So the apparent purpose of adding a basketball only school to the already strongest basketball conference in the country is to add the west coast time zone? Still don't understand it - am I correct in thinking that the only current P-5 with a school that is not "all-in" in both major revenue sports might be the ACC with Notre Dame, and they are, obviously, like it or not, a special case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          Maybe they jump on Oregon St and Wazzu if they get a commit from Gonzaga?

Even though none of the schools are on the west coast, I would still wait and see what happens with the ACC. There have been rumblings that Clemson or FSU may have found a way out. I don't know if I believe that but that is out there. There are some schools there worth picking up like Louisville, Duke, Pitt and maybe Miami-FL. Maybe even Virginia Tech.

Or maybe Brett knows that Clemson and FSU aren't going anywhere anytime soon?

Comment

• Seems Big 12 schools may be less than enthusiastic about adding Gonzaga.

Big 12 commissioner Brent Yormark is keen on adding Gonzaga but there's internal pushback from the league after the financial benefits of move.
            https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/71124256007/

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
              Seems Big 12 schools may be less than enthusiastic about adding Gonzaga.

Big 12 commissioner Brent Yormark is keen on adding Gonzaga but there's internal pushback from the league after the financial benefits of move.
              https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...s/71124256007/
              Gonzaga is a better fit with a basketball only conference, like the Big(?) East

Comment

• Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Gonzaga is a better fit with a basketball only conference, like the Big(?) East
                Yormark is a basketball guy, and so far he gets what he wants.

Comment

• I do not think that the Big 12 presidents are in favor of Gonzaga. If this goes through, it will be totally ESPN pushing it.

Comment

• sometimes, though, its hard to not do what espn wants - see old big east and the pac10 - espn seems like a very vindictive bunch of dicks

Comment

• I don't think this is such a good idea. Gonzaga is actually "Mark Few U", much like Wichita was "Gregg Marshall U". How has that worked out for WSU?

Comment

• It only makes sense if the BigXII somehow separates the revenue streams between basketball and football, ie GU would not get a full share of revenue from the conference. No doubt that GU would add value to the conference in basketball, but that may change once Few leaves. I am torn because they bring an exciting brand of basketball but the drawbacks may outweigh the benefits.

Comment

• DeCourcy:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...ab239c964b7207
                          Last edited by Lobot; 10-10-2023, 12:02 PM.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Matt Norlander string of tweets:
                            - Brett Yormark is seeking the most loaded league imaginable so he can take Big 12 to market at end of the decade and have separate football and basketball media deals
                            - Pusbhack and caution from some Big 12 presidents and ADs
                            - Yormark wants to get this done ASAP
                            - Big financial questions are still not answered re: Utah/Arizona/ASU/Colorado (ESPN and Fox deals are still being ironed out)
                            - May be some terms/negotiating points Gonzaga may not be thrilled with

Comment

• I don't know why Yormark is in such a hurry. There is no other power 4 conference that wants them so they will always be available. The most logical conference for them is the Big East but they don't want them because of geography.

Comment

• Seth Davis reporting talks with Gonzaga back on today.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X