Expansion Thread 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expansion Thread 2024

Just in case we need this going forward. Previous thread was here.

https://vb.bearcatnews.com/forum/con...on-thread-2023
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Are you anticipating ACC fallout? Since they added Stanford, Cal, and SMU; I figure they bought some stability if/when FSU and Clemson leave, at least until 2036. I don't know if many others will attempt to leave if the buyout isn't worth the destination, and it may only be worth it if the Big 10 calls on UNC/UVA. Schools aren't going to pay big buyouts to the ACC to move to the Big 12, and I don't see any Big 12 schools leaving for the ACC.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      Are you anticipating ACC fallout? Since they added Stanford, Cal, and SMU; I figure they bought some stability if/when FSU and Clemson leave, at least until 2036. I don't know if many others will attempt to leave if the buyout isn't worth the destination, and it may only be worth it if the Big 10 calls on UNC/UVA. Schools aren't going to pay big buyouts to the ACC to move to the Big 12, and I don't see any Big 12 schools leaving for the ACC.
      With all the lawsuits flying around the ACC right now, I'll be shocked if something doesn't happen there with FSU and Clemson before the Grant of Rights ends.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I agree FSU and Clemson be get a buyout number, which could apply to UNC and UVA. FSU and Clemson to SEC and UNC/UVA to Big Ten. However, if that happens, the ACC stays afloat with 13 teams, maybe adds S Florida, Memphis or Coastal Carolina. I don't see this impacting the Big 12 until there isn't a buyout. Before they added three members there was a possibility they get 8-9 teams to dissolve the conference, and I don't see them getting that number voting to dissolve. The biggest hope to dissolve the conference is in 2027 if ESPN doesn't extend the deal to 2036. Again, ESPN can get cheap, below-market value so they will extend. The only teams paying the buyout will be those that can land in the top two conferences, which at most is four teams. The Big Ten may be in a position to wait until 2036 before shuffling again.

Comment

Miami would like to be in the Big Two conferences when the dust settles but suspect that the Big 12 is the best option going forward. 'I Could Foresee the Big 12 Being a Landing Spot' for Miami: Inside the U's David Lake (heartlandcollegesports.com)

Comment

This is sort of expansion. A Super League is being floating along with a new governance model for college sports. Membership would be all Power conference teams plus ND and SMU. They've already formed a committee and Gordon Gee has reared his ugly head again. ($).

https://theathletic.com/5383639/2024...t-realignment/
            Last edited by Lobot; 04-04-2024, 08:20 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

If it includes all power conferences and the Big 12 is considered a power conference, I am glad that UC will be in. Here is a free article and there are others out there. Report: CFB 'Super League' to Replace NCAA, CFP Being Discussed by School Presidents | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
              Last edited by bearcatbret; 04-03-2024, 08:20 PM.

Comment

The CST is not happening soon. I like the concept of UC being permanent members of the new league, and separating the league into 8 10-team members will likely return traditional matchups like Pac10, SWC, Big 8, original Big 10, an old Big east of sorts, etc... I hope this eventually happens, but cannot see it happening in the next 7-8 years.

The two big obstacles are the need for networks to forgo their exclusive contracts with each conference, and the SEC/Big10 either getting less money or accepting that others will be raised up to their level of income. A lot of the CST hinges on the NCAA going bankrupt or conferences breaking off on their own.

Comment

This seems to be the best place to put this. Witht eh women's games having more viewers than all but 1 regulaseason college football game, most Bowl games, and a host of other events I suspect that Yormark is working harder to leverage Big 12 basketball tv deals. I know football drives the bus here, but basketball cannot be far behind with three times as many games.

Comment

So, the latest on the realignment: 7 ten team leagues plus 1 ten team "under league". This has UC in the Midwest alongside of tosu, UM, MSU, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Louisville, Missouri, Northwestern. The under league includes Miami (OH) and Toledo for the first year. You will need to scroll towards the bottom to view the embedded slide showing all leagues.
                    Could Penn State and Pitt Reunite in College Football's 'Super League'? (si.com)

Comment

Florida St. has sued the ACC. They’re demanding that the league produce a copy of its ESPN TV contract
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X