Expansion Thread 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    No unequal revenue sharing. While some schools have a bigger following and brand, as a conference we are the sum of all parts. No team can be as big as they are without someone to play. I'd like to see those brands with bigger fanbases have the right to explore other revenue generating options to make up the differences.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Just some more rumors about FSU and Clemson
      Look: Clemson Fans Embrace Big 12 on Social Media as Rumors Swirl (heartlandcollegesports.com)

Then today, if you wonder what that private equity firm wants to pay for.
      Report: There is 'Internal Belief' in Clemson, Florida State to the Big 12 (heartlandcollegesports.com)

Now, it is reported that more ACC schools want to move. It does not state which ones.
      Shock Move: ACC Schools Set To Join Big 12 With FSU And Clemson | Fan Recap

As of 07/17/2024 - More rumors:
      https://fanrecap.com/major-shake-up-...l-conferences/
      Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-17-2024, 09:43 PM.

Comment

The end is nigh...

https://sports.yahoo.com/while-fsu-a...000626179.html
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

ACC started the whole mess by raiding the BE. Yawn.
          Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            ACC started the whole mess by raiding the BE. Yawn.
            I feel no remorse for the ACC or the Pac-10 for how the expansion/raiding went down. Not only did they start the whole mess, they attempted to staunch the flow with GoR. Having it all blow up on them is just desserts.
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

ACC v. FSU went to mediation and shockingly got nowhere.

https://apnews.com/article/florida-s...3f42f44753a0dc
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

UCONNNNNNNNNN!! Here we go again. ($)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/571...-uconn-pursuit
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  UCONNNNNNNNNN!! Here we go again. ($)

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/571...-uconn-pursuit
                  Looks like a free article to me?

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark has renewed his pursuit of expansion target UConn, with league officials set for a meeting next week where the issue will be reintroduced for in-depth discussion, multiple Big 12 administrators and broadcasting sources told The Athletic.

Yormark, a Northeast native and former Brooklyn Nets executive, has been talking with the school since at least last summer before the Big 12 added Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah to expand to 16 schools. In August 2023, he said those talks were “no longer.” According to multiple Big 12 administrators, discussions resumed earlier this year, but Yormark did not yet have a consensus internally to extend an invite.
                  According to the sources, if the Big 12 did accept UConn, its football program would not join the league until the next television rights contract, or at the very least for several years. When UMass joins the MAC next year, UConn will be one of two remaining FBS independents, along with Notre Dame.

In order to feel comfortable adding another school, the current members will want assurance that UConn’s addition would not dilute their shares of league revenue.

Current members have been told UConn’s addition would be “budget-neutral” and would not reduce conference revenue payouts to existing members, according to multiple Big 12 administrators.

Comment

And a free version.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-uco...204111447.html
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

McMurphy
                      ”Big 12, UConn in discussions for Huskies to join Big 12 in football in 2031 & all other sports in 2026, sources told ActionNetwork. Big 12 presidents must approve, but commish Brett Yormark has been long-time proponent of the Huskies, sources said. Here’s my story on Big 12 & UConn”
                      https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy

This would be a massive loss for the BE.
                      Last edited by longtimefan; 08-23-2024, 10:19 PM.
                      Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                        McMurphy
                        ”Big 12, UConn in discussions for Huskies to join Big 12 in football in 2031 & all other sports in 2026, sources told ActionNetwork. Big 12 presidents must approve, but commish Brett Yormark has been long-time proponent of the Huskies, sources said. Here’s my story on Big 12 & UConn”
                        https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...=BrettMcMurphy

This would be a massive loss for the BE.
                        I'm kind of wondering how this affects the BE. They just negotiated a new TV deal based on UConn winning two NCAA championships. I wonder if this invalidates the deal if they leave.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

The UConn thing has been blowing up social media. There are a few questions that I have. First is, will they take a reduced share in revenue, even less than what UC, BYU, Houston and UCF got (because their football team stinks)? Second, I wonder how FSU will feel if UConn starts getting a bigger TV share than they do. FSU was pissed that UCF will be making more than they do.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            The UConn thing has been blowing up social media. There are a few questions that I have. First is, will they take a reduced share in revenue, even less than what UC, BYU, Houston and UCF got (because their football team stinks)? Second, I wonder how FSU will feel if UConn starts getting a bigger TV share than they do. FSU was pissed that UCF will be making more than they do.
                            Football won't be joining full time until 2031, so on your first question that's a yes.

Re: FSU, The BIg XII is watching them really closely along with Clemson. The SEC doesn't seem to want to expand again, at least publicly. The Big Ten doesn't seem to interested in moving south to take them. I think for either of those conferences to take FSU, Clemson would have to come with them. But yeah, UConn getting a bigger slice of pie than FSU would absolutely infuriate them.

An aside on tha is that Dan Hurley seems to be in favor of Uconn joining ther Big XII which kind of surprises me.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have been thinking about Connecticut joining the Big XII. From a basketball standpoint as a Cincinnati fan the games with UCONN were fun, and competitive. From a football perspective the games were boring after 2010, and you could tell UCONN did not have any signs of hope. I could take them or leave them. I would rather see a combination of Louisville, Pitt, Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, Syracuse, and Georgia Tech join then Connecticut. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post
                                I have been thinking about Connecticut joining the Big XII. From a basketball standpoint as a Cincinnati fan the games with UCONN were fun, and competitive. From a football perspective the games were boring after 2010, and you could tell UCONN did not have any signs of hope. I could take them or leave them. I would rather see a combination of Louisville, Pitt, Virginia Tech, North Carolina State, Syracuse, and Georgia Tech join then Connecticut. Time will tell.
                                Based on the timline of the BIg XII possibly not absorbing Uconn in football until 2031, you might get your wish on the ACC teams.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X