All Things Fickell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    The way that I look at it is that UC gave Fickell an opportunity to prove himself so that he could move on to better pastures just like all before him. There is a little bit difference though. He came in while UC was in the group of 6 and was heading to the power 5 which he bailed on. Before him, Tubberville just wanted to get closer to his wife's family and retire. Before that was Butch Jones who came in after the meltdown of the Big East and the AAC was not as desirable as the SEC which he failed miserably. Kelly came in when the Big East (power 6) was thriving and he was able to win but during the end of it, teams were bailing to the other power conferences, and he saw the writing on the wall that the Big East was collapsing - yes he left for his dream job but it was the way that he left. Mark Dantonio came in during UC's initial year of the Big East and was only looking for better things and he was a Big 10 guy. Then there was Rick Menter who would still be here if he was not fired but UC probably would not have been as successful. Prior to Menter, every coach was in as an independent where UC was everyone's homecoming game and they wanted to escape as fast as possible. So, Luke could have stayed and gone into a Power 5 conference to try to prove himself again or he could go for the Power 2 and survive with the big money. I am hoping that the Big 12 will be successful and that our new coach will be successful and that he will stay and prove that in the decades to come that UC is a place to stay and not to step on. Rant ended.
    Since you brought up former coaches: Somebody mentioned Chuck Studley in a The Athletic comment. He had a couple of good years in the 60's and is still kicking around Cincinnati in his 90's.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

He thanked the City of Cincinnati, which includes the fans. FWIW.
      Yeah, I relaized that after I posted
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The plot thickens. LF is already in a beef with a big ten coach concerning recruiting. Yahoo is reporting Minnesota's Coach Fleck accusing LF of negative recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
          The plot thickens. LF is already in a beef with a big ten coach concerning recruiting. Yahoo is reporting Minnesota's Coach Fleck accusing LF of negative recruiting.
          Not sure what to make of this. I think that all coaches do this to some degree. It is like whenever a coach does not get a contract extension, all those recruiting against him tell the kids that he will not be around. I remember seeing an interview decades ago with Joe Montana. He really wanted to go to UM but when ND asked him a question about how many UM QBs were in the NFL, he switched to ND. It wasn't until Tom Brady that UM had a successful QB in the NFL. I am getting old, so I am probably wrong with some of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Not sure what to make of this. I think that all coaches do this to some degree. It is like whenever a coach does not get a contract extension, all those recruiting against him tell the kids that he will not be around. I remember seeing an interview decades ago with Joe Montana. He really wanted to go to UM but when ND asked him a question about how many UM QBs were in the NFL, he switched to ND. It wasn't until Tom Brady that UM had a successful QB in the NFL. I am getting old, so I am probably wrong with some of this.
            I understand what you are saying, but Fleck at Minnesota has several years to go although he didn't win the division in a few years. Will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens.

Comment

• I know a lot of you won’t care to read this but here’s a profile of what Fickell and crew are doing at Wisconsin. The reason I’m posting it is that there is a revelation in here that I didn’t know about. Gino may have been second choice. It appears he tried to hire Phil Longo at UC to replace Denbrock and missed on it. ($).

https://theathletic.com/4588098/2023...shared_article
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• We will see how great of a hire it was when the Big 10 goes no divisions in 2024.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  I know a lot of you won’t care to read this but here’s a profile of what Fickell and crew are doing at Wisconsin. The reason I’m posting it is that there is a revelation in here that I didn’t know about. Gino may have been second choice. It appears he tried to hire Phil Longo at UC to replace Denbrock and missed on it. ($).

https://theathletic.com/4588098/2023...shared_article
                  If you could take Luke's coaching styling with increased intensity, leadership, and accountability and pair it with the GM/professional style recruiting BigSatt has at UC, it'd be tough to miss out on 11 and 12 win seasons. That said, I like what Satterfield has brought to Clifton, which he didn't have at Loserville. Not trying to put a positive spin on it, wish Luke had stayed and tried hard last year to in. I wish him well, but think Satterfield is doing many of the same types of coaching things, but his investment in recruiting department and tie-in with NIL will allow him to coach up a higher rated and talented squad than what Luke had here, and possibly what Luke will have in Madison.

I can't blame Longo for wanting one more year at UNC. He knew Maye was going to be good following Howell, plus why go from the ACC to AAC?
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I wonder how many head coaching jobs Longo has interviewed/been contacted for?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X