This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    You can definitetly work your way up a spot or bounce back and forth between G league and NBA. We've seen both happen with SK, Jacob Evans and Gary Clark. However if you want to make any money, you either have to get to the NBA for a long-ish period of time or head overseas. As a player, you're generally not going to make bank in the G League in the long run.
    I understand that, but thanks. I sometimes wonder if a few remarks towards Mr. Brannen was just sour grapes because someone wasn't drafted and after years of success and being the star, somebody else has to be blamed. The writer was looking for a story too. Again it would be interesting to hear T. Scott's take. Once again, I do not like Mr. Brannen from what little I have seen. I do wonder though about this whole mess and all the personalities involved. It sure isn't good and what a nice thing it would be to see Coach Miller get a recruiting plum right now. Even if it is too late for the star recruit, I feel very positive for the future and so far CWM seems to be making the right moves for the future.

Comment

• I think if you’re well liked and more of a father figure players don’t care about a coach acting like this. I bet stuff like this happens way more often than you might think. But if you think the coach cares about you and has your best interest you have no problem going to **** for the guy. It’s when you’re a demanding coach who also doesn’t have a strong relationship with the players, problems arise. However, the urn thing was extremely odd regardless what kind of relationship you have with the players. Lmao imagine what is going through Jarrons head as he was doing that.

Comment

• it is interesting that . a former NKU player was on cincy 360 giving a positive perception of Mr. Brannen. I didn't listen as I went fishing so I didn't know what he said. It does seem like the Brannen/Mars Camp is hitting back with some positive feedback. Did anyone listen. Lot of "he said stuff" and the practices were within the guidelines or the athletic trainers would have stooped it sooner as it is their responsibility and accountability.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
          it is interesting that . a former NKU player was on cincy 360 giving a positive perception of Mr. Brannen. I didn't listen as I went fishing so I didn't know what he said. It does seem like the Brannen/Mars Camp is hitting back with some positive feedback. Did anyone listen. Lot of "he said stuff" and the practices were within the guidelines or the athletic trainers would have stooped it sooner as it is their responsibility and accountability.
          It was Drew McDonald. He was Brannens best player and basically just said a lot of what the UC players are talking about is what they had to deal with at NKU as well. Tyler Sharpe is another player that has come to Brannens defense over the past couple months on twitter. The only main difference pointed out was that Drew said he never tried to undermine the training staff where it has been said/rumored Brannen did that a lot here.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
            I think if you’re well liked and more of a father figure players don’t care about a coach acting like this. I bet stuff like this happens way more often than you might think. But if you think the coach cares about you and has your best interest you have no problem going to **** for the guy. It’s when you’re a demanding coach who also doesn’t have a strong relationship with the players, problems arise. However, the urn thing was extremely odd regardless what kind of relationship you have with the players. Lmao imagine what is going through Jarrons head as he was doing that.
            He stole the urn routine from Chris Mack when Mack was at X. Not only is it weird it’s not original.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

He stole the urn routine from Chris Mack when Mack was at X. Not only is it weird it’s not original.
              Are you being serious or joking I can’t tell lmao? That is the weirdest idea I’ve ever heard. No way he heard Mack do that and think that’s a great idea. I’ll do that too. Absolutely no way that was the thought process.

Comment

It was Drew McDonald. He was Brannens best player and basically just said a lot of what the UC players are talking about is what they had to deal with at NKU as well. Tyler Sharpe is another player that has come to Brannens defense over the past couple months on twitter. The only main difference pointed out was that Drew said he never tried to undermine the training staff where it has been said/rumored Brannen did that a lot here.
                thank you very much

Comment

Are you being serious or joking I can’t tell lmao? That is the weirdest idea I’ve ever heard. No way he heard Mack do that and think that’s a great idea. I’ll do that too. Absolutely no way that was the thought process.
                  I'm serious. There's picture of an urn with Mack.

https://foxsports1070.iheart.com/fea...-his-sideline/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• So are you saying there were more knee jerk reactions from the anti- Brannen crowd. We need to think or find out more info before the reactions. I saw nothing basically wrong with it, but I preferred the Huggins tactic of not allowing the team to wear UC gear or use the locker rooms. Perhaps some would complain about that in this day and age. That is, after someone else started the complaint parade. I realize we didn't have much to brag on with Mr. Brannen's tenure, but I see a lot of softness in the complaints. In the past, the players would just laugh and think the coach was out of it. Today some seem to be looking for anything to take the eyes off of their performances. My coach must be cruel because it surely can't be anything about my play. Adam did say the woman you gave me made me eat that apple.

Think ill of me, but have we also looked for any thing to justify our dislike for Mr. Brannen. At least with the Covid excuse, although a wretched nightmare causing much health damage, it was a thing and not a person. Of course, we missed on that excuse too. Let us not be like that. All we needed was to see ZH's and MS's body language on the bench to get upset. That was enough for me. Has ZH cast stones on Mr. Brannen or has he gone on. ZH just didn't seem, to an outsider like myself, to have been a bad kid. I believe he is a kid who with the right coach/environment , could be a very good player.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post

I agree his senior year was a shame, as was KW. JC underachieved (or was held back) and it hurt his draft potential which was already tenuous going in. He was never however, a 1st or 2nd team All American candidate, not to be confused with 1st or 2nd team AAC.

I had a feeling you would say something derogatory in regards to this post.... This is just a few I pulled up, he was a 1st to 3rd Team PRE SEASON ALL AMERICAN CANIDATE in 2019.... KW on the other hand, never rec'd a vote by any of the ranking organizations....For what it's worth!

2019-20 NBC SPORTS PRESEASON ALL-AMERICA THIRD TEAM

JARRON CUMBERLAND, Cincinnati: It feels like no one ever mentions Cumberland when discussing the best players in the country, but here is a rising senior that only went out and averaged 18.8 points, 4.4 boards and 3.6 assists while shooting 38.8 percent from three. That’s not bad.2019-20 CBS Sports Preseason All-America Third Team

Jarron Cumberland | G | Cincinnati |Sr.

As far as AAC schools go, NBA scouts will spend most of their time at Memphis this season. But it's possible the best college player in the league still resides in Cincinnati -- where Jarron Cumberland returns as the reigning AAC Player of the Year after averaging 18.8 points, 4.4 rebounds and 3.6 assists for a 28-win team.

College basketball All-Americans: Second team

Jarron Cumberland, G, Cincinnati

Last year's stats: 18.8 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 3.6 apg, 38.8 3-point shooting

It seemed possible Cumberland would give pro basketball a try after coach Mick Cronin departed for UCLA, but he was encouraged to stay. He will not only have the opportunity to reign as one of the nation’s best players, but also get to do it with his cousin, Jaevin, offering another offensive option after transferring from Oakland. That might allow Jarron to be more efficient, but he was ever so impactful as he averaged 23.3 points in three victories that clinched the American Tournament title. He was named the league’s player of the year and tournament MVP.

First Team (Dick Vitale's)

G -- Cassius Winston, Michigan State
                      G -- Markus Howard, Marquette
                      F -- Jordan Nwora, Louisville
                      F -- Kerry Blackshear Jr., Florida
                      F -- Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati

USA Today 2nd Team

: Kerry Blackshear Jr., Florida, 23; Cole Anthony, North Carolina, 10; Udoka Azubuike, Kansas, 8; Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati, 8

Comment

• sadly, preseason hype does little besides fill articles. As we all know in sports, it is what have you done lately. BearKatz are you blaming Mr. Brannen for JC's lack of recognition after his senior year. Don't you think NBA scouts looked at more than his senior year and also understood potential regardless of the system played. There are many things looked at by NBA scouts besides scoring. If that was the case (Brannen's system holding him back) , how did he perform in the G-league? He was a very, very good player for UC and I hope he succeeds in pro ball and makes a lot of money.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                          sadly, preseason hype does little besides fill articles. As we all know in sports, it is what have you done lately. BearKatz are you blaming Mr. Brannen for JC's lack of recognition after his senior year. Don't you think NBA scouts looked at more than his senior year and also understood potential regardless of the system played. There are many things looked at by NBA scouts besides scoring. If that was the case (Brannen's system holding him back) , how did he perform in the G-league? He was a very, very good player for UC and I hope he succeeds in pro ball and makes a lot of money.

Brannen plays a small part in Cumberland's overall pro success... I feel he was probably misused at the beginning of his senior year... As I recall, one of the early games in 2019 had Scouts in attendance to see Jarron play... If I remember correctly, he was hurt and still able to play... But Brannen played him very little if at all... You just don't do that to a 4yr Player... I think Jarron was traded recently in the G League... Have not kept up with his statistics... Maybe he get's a shot one day, a game of wait and see....

Comment

• JC has had no pro success to this point. He wasn't drafted in the NBA but was added to the G league. He is on his second team and has gotten very very little playing time. Hopefully that will come as his game develops. Usually guys who ride the bench and need developing in the G are kids who came out early, not guys who played 4 years of college ball and are 24 years old. We shall see and we all hope for the best for him.
                            The Athletic article went into great detail on his career. Most of it was unfortunate circumstances. It is well documented by now that Brannen was basically a jerk and his tactics were regrettable and inexcusable. I was equally dismayed in the article that JC didn't like coaches offense and refused to play it. This culminated in his benching and pouting. Eventually, Brannen relented and gave JC the reigns and JC and Tre played a 2 man game the rest of the season. Since when do players have the right to dictate offenses to the coach and refuse to comply? The article seemed to present that fact as if it was acceptable and not a negative reflection on JC. I don't agree. So in my opinion, his senior year was a mess that was equally driven by player and coach. Only a monster year would have made him an NBA draft pick and it just didn't happen. He now has a pretty steep hole to climb out of. Again, I wish him luck.
                            Thank goodness we have moved on to a new era. I am anxious for the new style and fresh talent to root for. Cleary the coach/player relationships will be better which in and of itself should pay dividends. It is regrettable that so many guys jumped ship and those who stayed like JC and KW, weren't able to parlay those decisions into better pro careers.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

Brannen plays a small part in Cumberland's overall pro success... I feel he was probably misused at the beginning of his senior year... As I recall, one of the early games in 2019 had Scouts in attendance to see Jarron play... If I remember correctly, he was hurt and still able to play... But Brannen played him very little if at all... You just don't do that to a 4yr Player... I think Jarron was traded recently in the G League... Have not kept up with his statistics... Maybe he get's a shot one day, a game of wait and see....
                              Did Mr. Brannen not play him due to injury or spite. JC I think appeared in 8 games between two teams in the G-League and didn't fare very well. In fact from MC's teams how many players went on to any long career in the NBA. I might be wrong, but I see Lance S. mainly. Some action to Evans, White, Clark and SK. I hope JC has a NBA shot, but bouncing around in the G-league isn't helpful. I am sure he could make a good salary overseas though.

Regardless of that, my desire is to see CWM put many into the NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                                JC has had no pro success to this point. He wasn't drafted in the NBA but was added to the G league. He is on his second team and has gotten very very little playing time. Hopefully that will come as his game develops. Usually guys who ride the bench and need developing in the G are kids who came out early, not guys who played 4 years of college ball and are 24 years old. We shall see and we all hope for the best for him.
                                The Athletic article went into great detail on his career. Most of it was unfortunate circumstances. It is well documented by now that Brannen was basically a jerk and his tactics were regrettable and inexcusable. I was equally dismayed in the article that JC didn't like coaches offense and refused to play it. This culminated in his benching and pouting. Eventually, Brannen relented and gave JC the reigns and JC and Tre played a 2 man game the rest of the season. Since when do players have the right to dictate offenses to the coach and refuse to comply? The article seemed to present that fact as if it was acceptable and not a negative reflection on JC. I don't agree. So in my opinion, his senior year was a mess that was equally driven by player and coach. Only a monster year would have made him an NBA draft pick and it just didn't happen. He now has a pretty steep hole to climb out of. Again, I wish him luck.
                                Thank goodness we have moved on to a new era. I am anxious for the new style and fresh talent to root for. Cleary the coach/player relationships will be better which in and of itself should pay dividends. It is regrettable that so many guys jumped ship and those who stayed like JC and KW, weren't able to parlay those decisions into better pro careers.
                                Very good and lacking the bias we often see. UC does teach critical thinking.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X