Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Brannen has at least one other supporter in Paul Daugherty and he has a very powerful voice in Cincinnati. He wrote an article yesterday basically blaming John Cunningham, Madsen and other freshmen. If JC is at fault, where is President Pinto or where was he in this mess. After all, it dealt with very high profile(national) personalities representing the University. He is in charge or are deep pockets in this mess too.

Comment

• What I would like to know is how much of a settlement did UC offer? (It was reported they did offer some sort of settlement and Brannen declined) Because that's going to tell me how well this was handled.

If it comes to light that this entire chain of events could have been avoided if UC would have just paid him, let's say 2 million dollars then I'm going to find it very difficult to believe that John Cunningham and Pinto didn't completely botch this.

I find it almost impossible to believe that he's not going to get something. Between the investigation that took place, the legal fees that will continue to mount and 2 months of bad PR (there's a cost to this), this may very well get pretty damn expensive.

I think it's obvious UC needed to move on. John Brannen needed to go. But I also think it's obvious that he got railroaded. The things that have come out, while not at all good and worthy of firiing or resignation, don't seem to be enough for to get UC off the hook completely.

I just really hope Cunningham didn't try to get out of this by playing a game of chicken and getting his bluff called, all because he was too stupid or too cheap to realize he'll have to pay out regardless.

When you couple this with the fact that Cunningham was nowhere to be found during UC's College Football Playoff push (he should have been in the media making a case for them), or that he's been largely invisible in his year and a half here, or that he wasn't even meeting with his head basketball coach, it's pretty damning. If this Brannen situation gets costly he needs to be fired before the end of the year. Very good chance he's a worse AD here than Brannen was a coach. And that's saying quite a lot.

Comment

• Most attorneys take cases for the perceived payoff or the publicity. I would say Tom Mars carefully considered this case. Mars is from Rogers, Arkansas and has gotten a local Ohio firm to do his court room work. There has been a lot of money already spent.

Since this is ports related here is a quote about Mars:

Mars is to lawyering what
        Tom Brady is to quarterbacking.

- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Tom Mars is an accomplished trial lawyer, a nationally recognized advocate in collegiate sports, and an experienced crisis consultant for companies, executives, and public officials.

After graduating first in his law school class and making the top score on the bar exam, Tom began his career as a law clerk to Judge Monroe McKay on the U.S. Court of Appeals. Following his clerkship, Tom spent the next ten years establishing himself as one of Arkansas’ most formidable trial lawyers. Tom’s accomplishments as a trial lawyer have included a number of seven-figure jury verdicts and eight-figure settlements and the successful defense of corporate defendants in complex litigation. His litigation experience includes business torts and contract disputes, class actions, RICO, defamation, civil rights, medical malpractice, FOIA, administrative law claims and the representation of clients in civil and criminal federal investigations.

In the 1990s, Tom’s high-profile clients included the Governor of Arkansas. In 1998, the Governor asked Tom (a former police officer) to join his leadership team as Director of the Arkansas State Police—the state’s highest-ranking law enforcement position. He served in that capacity for nearly three years before returning to private practice as a trial lawyer in Northwest Arkansas.

Not long after returning to private practice, Tom was recruited by Walmart to manage its vast litigation portfolio as Vice President and Assistant General Counsel. Four months after joining Walmart’s legal department, he was promoted to Senior Vice President and General Counsel and became responsible for all of the company’s legal matters. During his tenure as Walmart’s General Counsel, Tom led an ambitious diversity initiative and became a nationally known champion for advancing diversity in the legal profession. He received numerous awards for his leadership in this area, including the American Bar Association’s prestigious “Spirit of Excellence Award.”

Five years after joining Walmart, in recognition of Walmart’s legal department receiving national acclaim for both its unprecedented diversity and extraordinary talent, Tom was promoted to Executive Vice President and General Counsel. Two years later, he was promoted again and joined the leadership team of Walmart U.S. as Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer. In that role, he was responsible for various business units, including real estate, human resources, labor relations, external relations, U.S. compliance, and financial services.

In recent years, Tom has represented a number of high-profile student-athletes in matters involving the NCAA’s transfer rules. Based on his success in securing eligibility waivers for his student-athlete clients, sports writers have referred to Tom as the “the most impactful man in a suit in college football” and “the de facto commissioner of the new [college football] culture.”

In describing Tom’s ability to win difficult cases in high-stakes litigation, members of the media and former clients have described Tom as “fearless,” “relentless,” and a “fierce litigator” who’s “committed to winning.” Commenting on Tom’s track record as a trial lawyer, one journalist recently said that “Mars is to lawyering what Tom Brady is to quarterbacking.”

The breadth and depth of Tom’s experience make him uniquely qualified to represent individual and corporate clients in litigation, administrative proceedings, and enforcement actions by government agencies. His prior experience also makes him well-suited to work with clients and their PR professionals facing situations that could result in lasting business and reputational damage.

FOLKS TOM MARS DOES NOT COME CHEAP AND HE DOESN'T TAKE CASES TO LOSE. IF HE TAKES A SETTLEMENT, IT WILL BE HUGE AND MADE VERY PUBLIC.

Comment

• Nick Saban wishes he were as intensely focused on victory as Tom Mars.

Pat Forde, Yahoo Sports

A one-man wrecking crew — Mars has been referred to as a transfer ‘magician,’ ‘savant,’ and ‘super attorney.’ . . . The aptest description of Mars is a workhorse. When he’s hired, the case becomes all-consuming.

Kyle Rowland, Toledo Blade

He was in the fox hole completely dug in. He didn’t accept excuses, only results. Never seen a person work like he did to get a result most people thought would be impossible.

Shawn Jefferson to The Athletic

Comment

• Interesting case Mars did quite like the Brannen firing:
            Houston Nutt v. University of Mississippi (Lafayette County, MS Circuit Court)

• Lead counsel for former SEC football coach in breach of contract action
            • Undisclosed settlement with public apology by the university

Comment

• Where in the document submitted to the court by Brannen does it mention Madsen being one of the instigators? I've looked several times and apparently keep overlooking it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                Where in the document submitted to the court by Brannen does it mention Madsen being one of the instigators? I've looked several times and apparently keep overlooking it.
                there are 19 mentions of young Madsen in the document. Go to it and you will see a search document. Type in madsen .

Comment

• Well I guess that sheds immensely more light on why CWM recruited all guys who he was familiar with. Hes not putting all his eggs in the basket left that was Brannens. Brilliant move.! It looks like He isn't fully trusting that at least two from last year are going to be all "both feet in". I don't know why Miller even takes on a quagmire such as this but Im glad he did. Its going to be a very interesting season indeed if these same guys try to pull this stuff again.

Comment

Well I guess that sheds immensely more light on why CWM recruited all guys who he was familiar with. Hes not putting all his eggs in the basket left that was Brannens. Brilliant move.! It looks like He isn't fully trusting that at least two from last year are going to be all "both feet in". I don't know why Miller even takes on a quagmire such as this but Im glad he did. Its going to be a very interesting season indeed if these same guys try to pull this stuff again.
                    My exact thoughts. The guard (and forwards) needed changing, but you can't kick all out in the middle of this mess. I also wonder what he said to the Saunder and Madsen families when he visited them.

Rufus look at all who were blindly for the players. CWM had to keep some. Sadly, I have been in revolts before and not all is really seen. Time often slowly shows truth. As I have preached, give it time. I know people just want to get pass this, but a man's rep and salary is at stake. Tom Mars is not letting this slide. He would not have taken this case if he planned on being a peace maker.

My thinking is that CWM will be done with many involved in a year or two and bringing in his guys, while maybe not superstars, might have a good effect on the team. I also saw that he didn't visit the Eason family, but I could be wrong. I further wonder what will happen if some folks don't get the pt or the game plan they want. It could go a couple ways. The players have already spoke and more attacks may be too much. CWM has the support of the powers and was told to ride the Storm with the backing he needs. Or worse case, the players run the ship. I don't see that with the players CWM has brought in.

Oh to be back to complaining about every loss once again and not all this other excrement.

I further believe that ZH was a victim and bystander and not a mover. Although he could move better than one of the movers still on the team. His name is seldom, if ever, mentioned in articles or legal papers. perhaps the kid had his fill of drama from his past and got out while he could. I wuld like to think that as I felt for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                      Mr. Brannen has at least one other supporter in Paul Daugherty and he has a very powerful voice in Cincinnati. He wrote an article yesterday basically blaming John Cunningham, Madsen and other freshmen. If JC is at fault, where is President Pinto or where was he in this mess. After all, it dealt with very high profile(national) personalities representing the University. He is in charge or are deep pockets in this mess too.
                      I’ve lived in this city for 30 years and follow all Cincinnati sports and I have never bought a Enquirer paper. Daugherty is a self absorbed clown who doesn’t influence anyone under the age of 50.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      "life is good today"

Comment

• MDW- I think this thing will end in settlement for sure. Mars and Brannen are counting on UC being a public institution and they will subpoena documents that UC doesn’t want to release. My best guess is we offered him $1m buyout and he pushed for more so he brought suit and we will settle near $2-3m.

Brannen is destroying his reputation in process. Look at similar case with Jim O’Brien and see what has happened to his coaching career after he won that case against O$U. My guess is he will be positioning for office athletic work somewhere after this instead of coaching.

--------------------------------------------------------
                        "life is good today"

Comment

• Leo I foresee these same individuals hitting the transfer portal again after the upcoming season especially if they don't get the playing time they think they deserve. And they realize that they' re no longer running the asylum. And I like you am very curious as to what was discussed when CWM visited these youngsters. I hope that he was coerced or forced into taking them back to placate Cunningham. And yes if only we had wins and loses to discuss my friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ucmba2002 View Post
                            MDW- I think this thing will end in settlement for sure. Mars and Brannen are counting on UC being a public institution and they will subpoena documents that UC doesn’t want to release. My best guess is we offered him $1m buyout and he pushed for more so he brought suit and we will settle near $2-3m.

Brannen is destroying his reputation in process. Look at similar case with Jim O’Brien and see what has happened to his coaching career after he won that case against O$U. My guess is he will be positioning for office athletic work somewhere after this instead of coaching.
                            O'Brien's loan was for more than $135 dollars. Mr. Brannen might have enough to retire especially if he gets a large settlement. Of course, Mars will get his cut. Perhaps JB will be blackballed. At least O'Brien exceeded expectations at OSU. Brannen did not.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

My exact thoughts. The guard (and forwards) needed changing, but you can't kick all out in the middle of this mess. I also wonder what he said to the Saunder and Madsen families when he visited them.

Rufus look at all who were blindly for the players. CWM had to keep some. Sadly, I have been in revolts before and not all is really seen. Time often slowly shows truth. As I have preached, give it time. I know people just want to get pass this, but a man's rep and salary is at stake. Tom Mars is not letting this slide. He would not have taken this case if he planned on being a peace maker.

My thinking is that CWM will be done with many involved in a year or two and bringing in his guys, while maybe not superstars, might have a good effect on the team. I also saw that he didn't visit the Eason family, but I could be wrong. I further wonder what will happen if some folks don't get the pt or the game plan they want. It could go a couple ways. The players have already spoke and more attacks may be too much. CWM has the support of the powers and was told to ride the Storm with the backing he needs. Or worse case, the players run the ship. I don't see that with the players CWM has brought in.

Oh to be back to complaining about every loss once again and not all this other excrement.

I further believe that ZH was a victim and bystander and not a mover. Although he could move better than one of the movers still on the team. His name is seldom, if ever, mentioned in articles or legal papers. perhaps the kid had his fill of drama from his past and got out while he could. I wuld like to think that as I felt for him.
                              He did go visit the Eason family either 2/3 days after his press conference. He flew out to either LA or Seattle. Wherever Tari was at the time.

Comment

Leo I foresee these same individuals hitting the transfer portal again after the upcoming season especially if they don't get the playing time they think they deserve. And they realize that they' re no longer running the asylum. And I like you am very curious as to what was discussed when CWM visited these youngsters. I hope that he was coerced or forced into taking them back to placate Cunningham. And yes if only we had wins and loses to discuss my friend.
                                Just my opinion, but I think Madsen and Saunders are back, first of all, because CWM thinks they can contribute and wants them on the team and secondly, that they want to play for UC and CWM. I think that they also had good relationships with other teammates.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X