2023 NCAA Transfer Portal Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Just something to chew on with a couple of these guys. Spring Commencement ceremonies start April 27 and run through April 29. I don't think the Super Seniors are eligible for a grad transfer until then unless they have already graduated previously.
    I would think that any college basketball player on track to graduate shouldn't need to wait until actually graduating to make a move. They may not be technically eligible for a grad transfer yet, but that isn't stopping them from entering the portal and probably even committing to a school.

Comment

• CWM is certainly in a pickle. He has already stated that he wants everyone back. So if we wait until we know Nolley isn't coming back then everyone Miller has contacted in the portal will have made their transfer known / committed. They won't wait for Nolley! And then were forced to take a Horizon, Mid American, or conference USA player that will ride the bench all year like Kalu did. I'm seeing it as painting yourself into a corner. I understand being loyal to your commits and hesitant to ask them to transferring but no one seen the bonus year happening because of COVID. They were promised 4 year deal and that's been honored.
      Besides that if your keeping them just to ride the bench on the chance they may see PT, then we have a duplicate of last year when 40% of the team were on the bench for one reason or another. This is JMO and it's not the popular point of view but if you have a chance to better your team you have to take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
        CWM is certainly in a pickle. He has already stated that he wants everyone back. So if we wait until we know Nolley isn't coming back then everyone Miller has contacted in the portal will have made their transfer known / committed. They won't wait for Nolley! And then were forced to take a Horizon, Mid American, or conference USA player that will ride the bench all year like Kalu did. I'm seeing it as painting yourself into a corner. I understand being loyal to your commits and hesitant to ask them to transferring but no one seen the bonus year happening because of COVID. They were promised 4 year deal and that's been honored.
        Besides that if your keeping them just to ride the bench on the chance they may see PT, then we have a duplicate of last year when 40% of the team were on the bench for one reason or another. This is JMO and it's not the popular point of view but if you have a chance to better your team you have to take it.
        What we don't know is what was promised to JD and MAW after Brannen left. Come back in 21/22 and we will keep you as long as you want to stay. Hensley came with Wes from UNCG. Newman should get a medical redshirt waiver. Sage will probably get redshirt too, AND no one throws out a 7 foot rising sophomore who has hit the weights. In warmups, he looks like he has a nice outside touch, and the agility of Lahkin inside. We shall see if he has the attitude. Reed is a talented player and most high school stars struggle a bit with defense. Skillings is likely to be a starter next year, along with Lahkin, so they ain't going anywhere. Ody has shown big improvements through the season and has a high motor.

Say what you will about running kids off, but the downside is Wes won't be able to build trust when he makes promises to new recruits. The teams that make deep runs in the Tourney have fewer portal turnover. UConn, Miami, SD St, and FAU all had less turnover than most Tourney teams. If it takes Wes honoring the wishes of MAW and JD in order to build a team that has less turnover, I'll take it because Wes is recruiting top talent. When he lands a five star recruit, instead of being second choice, more will come. He is already getting multiple 4 star recruits per class. Yeah, it's a slow process, but the portal is a risky proposition that isn't guaranteed to make a quick winner. We will take our lumps in the Big 12 for a year or two, but I do believe Wes will be competitive at the top of the Big 12 by year 3 in the new conference. If it isn't pointed that way, then we have another discussion.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I don't think Nolley's situation is that uncertain. If he's not one of the tip top guys at Portsmouth, he's likely going to decide to take the Nil money or cut bait with college. If he's really good at Portsmouth, he's likely gone and my gut tells me Wes and he have an understanding. He's been in college 5 years and has a child. He's looking to get paid, and with only one more year of college available his situation is a lot cleaner than a one or two year guy looking at leaving. The only way I see him back is if he's really mediocre at Portsmouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

Those guys can be role players on a BigXII roster. The problem is they have started the majority of their careers. They are not starter caliber players. But this season JD settled into his role off the bench. MAW played well in some games and struggled in others. If those players are starting for your team playing in the BigXII, that’s a problem. But to say there isn’t room for them on the roster is inaccurate, IMO.

I understand where your coming from... I'm saying, if the roster is full..? And UC has the chance to add (2) quality Big 12 Players, then we would not have room for them...

I can't see either of them taking up a spot if we're able to land a Quality Transfer...

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
              One of the top names in the portal so far: Kerr Kriisa from Arizona. The ultimate love him on your team, hate him on another team player. Guess who recruited him to Arizona? Sean Miller ... would be a better and more dislikable Kunkel if he transfers there. https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...92044879814670
              West Virginia. I guess we don't have to dislike him for XU, but instead for conference rival WVU.

Comment

• I thought I read he had already transferred to X.

Comment

• Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

I understand where your coming from... I'm saying, if the roster is full..? And UC has the chance to add (2) quality Big 12 Players, then we would not have room for them...

I can't see either of them taking up a spot if we're able to land a Quality Transfer...
                  I understand your point as well. As the roster stands now, we don’t know whether we have quality starters or not. The incoming freshman and the Juco transfer may or may not be. The only player is Skillings, in my opinion. The rest need to improve in the off-season or be replaced by players who can start for a BigXII roster.

Comment

• Is there any way to remove the scholarship and make them a preferred walk-on? Find some kind of academic scholarship for them?

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                      Is there any way to remove the scholarship and make them a preferred walk-on? Find some kind of academic scholarship for them?
                      I think something like this sounds good in theory, but wouldn't play out well. One additional guy expecting playing time.

I've heard the argument before with teams of Oh, such and such's dad played in the NBA so they have a lot of money, maybe they can give up his scholarship and pay their own way... meh

Comment

I understand your point as well. As the roster stands now, we don’t know whether we have quality starters or not. The incoming freshman and the Juco transfer may or may not be. The only player is Skillings, in my opinion. The rest need to improve in the off-season or be replaced by players who can start for a BigXII roster.
                        Vic Lakhin is also a quality player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          We are in the final 4 for Jamille Reynolds from Temple per Andrew Slater
                          Jamille Reynolds is visiting UC tomorrow, per Dushawn London of 247

According to Jamille himself, his final five schools are Cincinnati, Kansas, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and UCF + "Decision will be made soon!!" https://twitter.com/jamillerey4/stat...90880857956363

Jamille actually was at UCF for two seasons before breaking out this past season with 10.1 and 5.4 in 20.0 minutes per game for Temple. He averaged just over a block per game as well, while connecting on over 60% of his field goal attempts.

He is listed at 6'10 and probably has two years of eligibility left.
                          Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-05-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• If we don’t get Reynolds we might want to look at center Daniel Batcho from Texas Tech . He went in the portal today. Spent most of last year injured and sick. Looking for a fresh start after the coaching change.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Lahkin is a quality starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                                Is there any way to remove the scholarship and make them a preferred walk-on? Find some kind of academic scholarship for them?
                                Scholarships are renewed annually, not sure on exact timing. Wes can not renew a scholarship. We have done this before, and I'm sure it will happen again. However, I do not want any scholarship player to become a forced walk-on paying his own way. It shoud and does work the other way around, but that would cause a bitterness to develop which can affect the whole team as it spreads.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X