Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Here is an interesting one:

South Carolina star 6'2 guard Meechie Johnson (14.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, apg) from Cleveland is portaling.

Spent two uneventful years at Ohio State, two very solid years at South Carolina, and appears to have one "COVID year" left.
    I watched him in the Tourney, and he is a shooter!
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Bradley's leading scorer -- Connor Hickman, a 6'3 junior from Bloomington, IN -- is portaling.

He averaged 14.5 points, including 40.2% from three. He had 14 versus UC over the weekend.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...connor-hickman

Comment

Here is an interesting one:

South Carolina star 6'2 guard Meechie Johnson (14.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, apg) from Cleveland is portaling.

Spent two uneventful years at Ohio State, two very solid years at South Carolina, and appears to have one "COVID year" left.
        I wonder why he wants to leave USC. He was a very important part of what USC did this season. He started and he played a ton of minutes. Also, did I mention that USC had one of the best seasons in program history (which includes beating Tennessee and Kentucky, and making the NCAAs). They have a pretty good new coach. There is a lot to build on. Why is Johnson unhappy? I guess there is no need to ask why. All of these guys have their reasons. However, sometimes the grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Additionally, for some players, or people for that matter, no matter how good they have it, they are never happy. Good luck to Meechie Johnson. I hope he finds what he is looking for.

Comment

Re: Meechie Johnson above, good chance he ends up back at Ohio State

Comment

TCU's third-leading scorer Micah Peavy to the portal https://247sports.com/Article/colleg...tcu-229354378/

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

We have a full roster, so perhaps CWM already knows that somebody plans to transfer. Or, it’s just due diligence in case somebody leaves.
              Of course you know that Newman is not coming back. Greg Gordon might be a good replacement for Newman with more scoring. Miller favors guys that can score. My guess is that CJ is long gone too. Ody is also gone. Tolentino may have a question mark by his name as well. If all of the bigs come back, Tolentino will spend another season on the bench. However, he is just a redshirt freshman. So, if he stays, Miller will probably give him the first shot at taking the five spot in the 2025 / 26 season. Tolentino SHOULD be ready by then.

Comment

Only way CJ is back would be as a non-scholarship player so... that's one open spot. Sage would be the next most likely since he would still be behind Aziz and Milly. My flyer would be Vic given what we have seen over the last month or so.... wondering if Big 12 is too big for his game.

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
                  This guy gets to the rim A TON. Almost 7 times per game. And he has the highest usage rate and second best defensive box plus minus on Toledo. I'd take him for sure.
                  Sedz, I am surprised that you like this guy because of his low three-point shooting percentage. Also, I have always wanted to ask you, what do you have against the mid-range game? Actually, I have heard TV analysts mention that 34 percent made threes is better than 50 percent made twos or something like that. My point is this; every made basket is a good one regardless of where it comes from on the floor. Also, the three-point shot is a lower probability shot compared to the mid-range shot. I am not trying to start an argument. I am wondering why you do not like the mid-range game. It is a part of basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Sedz, I am surprised that you like this guy because of his low three-point shooting percentage. Also, I have always wanted to ask you, what do you have against the mid-range game? Actually, I have heard TV analysts mention that 34 percent made threes is better than 50 percent made twos or something like that. My point is this; every made basket is a good one regardless of where it comes from on the floor. Also, the three-point shot is a lower probability shot compared to the mid-range shot. I am not trying to start an argument. I am wondering why you do not like the mid-range game. It is a part of basketball.
                    Lee-
                    See middle of this article for the basics of the reasoning. https://www.nba.com/news/3-point-era-nba-75 As you are hinting at, the math doesn't always work out if we force someone who will never be a 3 point shooter into a box that doesn't work for them, and there is a sweet spot in many NBA and college defenses now for an elite mid-range shooter, as defenses have tilted hard towards preventing shots either at the rim or from 3 point range. As Sedz and many others have commented-stats don't tell the entire story-but in general, over the broad range of players, the numbers usually don't lie, even though there are notable exceptions that violate the rule (think DeMar Derozan or Chris Paul in the NBA, for instance).

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

You actually articulated the problem quite well. 34% made threes (average) is the same as 50% from midrange (elite). Very few players make 50% from midrange, which is what you'd have to make for it to be an average shot. There are only 25 players in the entire country who are making 50% on at least 100 midrange attempts this season. Good offenses make 54%+ effective field goals, so a player would have to make 54% for it to be a truly good shot. There are only 4 players who hit that mark, and three of them are big men likely hitting jump hooks.

If a player can make 50-54%, I'm all for it. Jizzle is on an absolute tear in the past few games, making 13 out of 17, but he's still under 47% for the season. He's probably at the point I'd give him a green light. Indiana St is the best shooting team in the country, but they make 43% from midrange so it's a bad shot. Gonzaga is probably the best midrange team in the country at 45%. Still a bad shot. Sometimes it's the best shot available in late clock situations. But in general, for almost all players, it's not good offense.

As for Moss, he's a bad three point shooter but he doesn't take many (less than 3 per game). And he takes less than 2 midrange shots per game, but gets to the rim 7 times and the foul line more than 5 times per game. I see him as a Newman replacement who can attack the rim and defend. We need more high usage wings who can create off the bounce, and he fills that role.

Comment

Post moved to analytics thread.
                        Last edited by sedz; 03-26-2024, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
                          Well said. This is the most relevant paragraph:

Over the last five years, only two players — Paul (51.7%) and Kevin Durant (51.2%) — have shot 50% or better on at least 300 mid-range attempts. And 147 of the 175 players who’ve attempted at least 300 mid-range jumpers over those five years have shot worse than 45% on those shots, which is like shooting worse than 30% from beyond the arc.

I think even that understates the issue. The league wide effective field goal percentage in the NBA is over 54%, and top offenses are hitting 57%. No one is consistently shooting that percentage from midrange.
                          I remember in the early 2000 folks were talking about how few were taking and hitting the mid-range. The 3-point shot has turned the mid-range into a lost art. A player's ego doesn't hurt if he misses a 3 and is exalted when he makes one. That is far from the case with the mid-range. This is where confidence enters the game big time.

Comment

This is a thread about the transfer portal -- if you want to discuss analytics in general, start a new thread

Comment

6’2 NKU guard (and all-time leading scorer) Marques Warrick putting his name in the draft and the portal. He’d have one year left.
                              UC among the programs that have reached out to Warrick https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/...89917392392408

Comment

Post moved to analytics thread.
                                Last edited by sedz; 03-26-2024, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X