2022 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    New contract for Mick Cronin at UCLA https://uclabruins.com/news/2022/3/1...-contract.aspx
    Good for Cronin. Look at what the administrators at Cincinnati let go with their short-sided thinking. Let's face it, Cronin is a very good coach and has been good for a long time. Hard driving half-court style of play with emphasis on defense and rebounding. One program's trash is another program's treasure. Look at where UCLA is right now versus where Cincinnati is. I would say UCLA got the better of the situation. Why did UC wait so long to discuss Cronin's contract when he was available to UC? Cronin got tired of waiting and felt disrespected. Around the same time UCLA came calling. Cronin said mother f@#ck UC and went to LA. More power to Cronin. I wonder what the administrators at UC now think about their decision to make Cronin wait for a contract extension, which is all he wanted. Had UC just offered the man a contract extension, he in all likelihood would still be at UC. Cronin stated multiple times that UC was his "dream job". Is Cronin Hall of Fame material? We will see what the future brings to him. Cronin is largely operating with Steve Alford's recruits right now. I believe it does not matter. Cronin is going to bring in HIS own recruits and STILL win at a high level because he has a FORMULA FOR SUCCESS that has served him very well over the years. Here is something that people DO NOT talk about when they talk about Cronin; he has taken three (3) DIFFERENT programs to the NCAA tournament. Who laughs last, laughs best. Cronin is now thinking about the butt hole administrators at UC and laughing all the way to the NCAA tournament. At the time of this posting, UCLA was headed to the Sweet 16. Probably the best thing about Cronin as, a coach, that is also NOT talked about; HE GRADUATES A VERY HIGH PERCETAGE OF HIS PLAYERS. Good for Cronin.
    Last edited by leeraymond; 03-20-2022, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Good for Cronin. Look at what the administrators at Cincinnati let go with their short-sided thinking. Let's face it, Cronin is a very good coach and has been good for a long time. Hard driving half-court style of play with emphasis on defense and rebounding. One program's trash is another program's treasure. Look at where UCLA is right now versus where Cincinnati is. I would say UCLA got the better of the situation. Why did UC wait so long to discuss Cronin's contract when he was available to UC? Cronin got tired of waiting and felt disrespected. Around the same time UCLA came calling. Cronin said mother f@#ck UC and went to LA. More power to Cronin. I wonder what the administrators at UC now think about their decision to make Cronin wait for a contract extension, which is all he wanted. Had UC just offered the man a contract extension, he in all likelihood would still be at UC. Cronin stated multiple times that UC was his "dream job". Is Cronin Hall of Fame material? We will see what the future brings to him. Cronin is largely operating with Steve Alford's recruits right now. I believe it does not matter. Cronin is going to bring in HIS own recruits and STILL win at a high level because he has a FORMULA FOR SUCCESS that has served him very well over the years. Here is something that people DO NOT talk about when they talk about Cronin; he has taken three (3) DIFFERENT programs to the NCAA tournament. Who laughs last, laughs best. Cronin is now thinking about the butt hole administrators at UC and laughing all the way to the NCAA tournament. At the time of this posting, UCLA was headed to the Sweet 16. Probably the best thing about Cronin as, a coach, that is also NOT talked about; HE GRADUATES A VERY HIGH PERCETAGE OF HIS PLAYERS. Good for Cronin.
      I agree. Mick is a good coach and a good guy. I think his leaving is all on Mike Bohn. Bohn (like many UC fans) was tired of underperforming in the tournament. Especially his last two years here when the team blew big leads and lost on the first weekend despite being favored. I was at both the Nevada game and Iowa game. Heartbreaking losses. But very shortsighted to throw away a coach who consistently got us to the tournament and had no hint of controversy around the program. I wish Mick well.
      Also, Mike Bohn is now at USC and competing (unsuccessfully) against Mick’s team. Mick appears to have the last laugh. Can’t be too mad at Bohn though. He did bring us Luke Fickle.
      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Mick coached here 13 years which is an eternity in that profession. Just about all the coaches with long careers will admit the change of scenery is not a bad idea for either the school or the coach. Guys hit walls. They missed on Brannen, it happens. You can't look at what the next guy did. Where would Mick be if JJ stayed at Kentucky? Jim B is in his 42nd year at Syracuse, you think they don't want a change?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...etball_coaches

Fickell...F I C K E L L, he deserves a correct spelling. LOL

Comment

Fickell...F I C K E L L, he deserves a correct spelling. LOL[/QUOTE]

Good catch Coach. My bad.

Comment

New Mexico State’s Chris Jans to Mississippi State

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

One other comment concerning the Cronin thread. With Cincinnati's basketball history, tradition, and success, I could never understand why Cronin approached recruitment as if he was coaching at a Mid-Major. Very seldom did Cronin bring in big men that were NOT projects. The guards that he recruited were okay. Farad Cobb said once that D-1 level basketball players are looking for about three things in a program: 1) Does it have a winning tradition? 2) Does it consistently get to the NCAA tournament? 3) Does the program have media exposure (TV coverage)? 4) This one is my own: Does a program generate NBA and overseas level talent? You can check yes for every box here for UC basketball. That is why I never understood why Cronin did not go after more accomplished players. I am sure that if someone asked him about his recruitment practices while at Cincinnati, he would have his reasons why. At this point, does anybody care.

Comment

^LeeRay, I suspect there are a few reasons but here are my thoughts. First, he tried to recruit kids who WOULD play his style of game. Second, he did not feel that he had a chance at the 5 stars (besides, they may not have played his style). Cronin will have success at UCLA because now he can have both the kids who will play his style and those kids are high rated prospects.

Comment

Quote, Does it have a winning tradition? 2) Does it consistently get to the NCAA tournament? 3) Does the program have media exposure (TV coverage)? 4) This one is my own: Does a program generate NBA and overseas level talent? You can check yes for every box here for UC basketball. That is why I never understood why Cronin did not go after more accomplished players. I am sure that if someone asked him about his recruitment practices while at Cincinnati, he would have his reasons why. At this point, does anybody care. Unquote

#1 When Cronin was here he was fresh from bringing the program from the dregs so the programs recent history as a winner was nonexistent at that time. #2 he, as a coach wasn't established as a consistent winner either, not one of instant known name and playing in a mediocre conference, so getting recruits to come to UC at that time was almost futile at that point in time and he realized this. He obtained instant prestige just from those four letters U C L A and now could immediately compete in recruiting. There are some schools that dont have to recruit all they have to do is filter through resumes of the kids wanting to come play for them. Duke, Gonzaga, some others to name a few.

Comment

Cronin had one foot out the door his last few years here. First he was gone to UNLV, then to UCLA. It showed in his recruiting. Getting out coached in loss to Nevada was the final nail, and he was out coached again in his final game here against Iowa. His heart wasn’t in it, and the way he went left a mess behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                      Cronin had one foot out the door his last few years here. First he was gone to UNLV, then to UCLA. It showed in his recruiting. Getting out coached in loss to Nevada was the final nail, and he was out coached again in his final game here against Iowa. His heart wasn’t in it, and the way he went left a mess behind.
                      looking back often erases facts as we see the victories and not the excrement Mick left. Great post and it took guts as I am sure the MC supporters will be upset.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

looking back often erases facts as we see the victories and not the excrement Mick left. Great post and it took guts as I am sure the MC supporters will be upset.
                        I defended him against attacks for 90% of his time here, but at the end he clearly wanted out. I think that loss to Nevada changed his whole mindset, something he couldn’t live down.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

Bob Huggins left excrement as well. Yet I greatly appreciate the efforts that Bob Huggins and Mick Cronin gave us. We were ranked and nationally relevant during the majority of their coaching tenures. Let’s hope Wes reaches and surpasses that level of success.

Comment

• Jerome Tang (Baylor assistant) to Kansas State

Comment

• Kevin Willard to Maryland https://shupirates.com/news/2022/3/2...concludes.aspx

All eyes on SHU alum and current Saint Peter's coach Shaheen Holloway to lead the Pirates

Comment

• Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post
                                Bob Huggins left excrement as well. Yet I greatly appreciate the efforts that Bob Huggins and Mick Cronin gave us. We were ranked and nationally relevant during the majority of their coaching tenures. Let’s hope Wes reaches and surpasses that level of success.
                                I can't brag on Huggs exit either on the bad publicity, the administrative in fighting and the depleted roster. I really liked Huggs, but he left in disgrace. Let's hope CWM leaves with personal integrity and team integrity. In today's sport's world that has become rare. Even long time coaches by defending their son, have lost integrity.
                                Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-21-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X