Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Day Day had a solid game: 15 points - 2 assists - 1 steal - 3 turnovers

Jizzle James had: 19 points - 1 rebound - 1 assist - 1 blocked shot - 1 turnover

Now just imagine both of them playing at the same time... The possibilities are endless! Hopefully Wes will give it a try someday!

Comment

• Two newcomers to this so called rivalry, one being a freshman, come in undeterred out of the regular rotation. I was thinking prior to the game that we would end up needing Jamille but when your supposed scorers don't bother to show up for big games and allow themselves to be humiliated on a repeated basis just about speaks enough on this coaching staffs ability to prepare, develope, and generally put players in positions to succeed. I haven't been this disgusted with UC's play for this many years in a row since Ed Badger and Tony Yates were coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

Day Day had a solid game: 15 points - 2 assists - 1 steal - 3 turnovers

Jizzle James had: 19 points - 1 rebound - 1 assist - 1 blocked shot - 1 turnover
        I stand corrected- maybe I saw the TO’s & a bad shot or two ?
        Was the first game I’ve been able to view & for some reason I was a bit underwhelmed. But you’re right, he was certainly not the focal point in the defeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
          Now watching the Nutcracker with the wife
          I think that we watched that during the game.

Comment

• It’s frustrating, but at this point I have no reason to expect the Cats to win in this game, regardless of rosters, records, coaches, etc.

Very frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by KevMan1976 View Post
              It’s frustrating, but at this point I have no reason to expect the Cats to win in this game, regardless of rosters, records, coaches, etc.

Very frustrating.
              Yes, but one game does not define our entire season.

Comment

• Aziz attempted 2 field goals. What gives?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
                  Aziz attempted 2 field goals. What gives?
                  The offense had no flow. Needed: one floor general.

Comment

Aziz attempted 2 field goals. What gives?
                    That is all coaching. Miller did a terrible job on the X game. We should have pounded it down low & stop taking all those 3's!
                    I am still pissed over the play & coaching or lack there of that happended Saturday night.

Comment

Yes, but one game does not define our entire season.
                      Agreed 100%. Again, was just frustrating.

Comment

• A few observations on the Xavier game: 1) with Newman being UC's best perimeter defender and Olivari being Xavier's best scorer, why didn't Miller put Newman on Olivari from the start of the game? Miller put Fredrick, Lukosius, and Skillings on Olivari before he put Newman on him. By then, Olivari had hit for 23 points. The fact that Miller could NOT read the tea leaves on that match up is somewhat disturbing. Putting Newman on Olivari earlier may have lead to a different outcome; 2) what the $#@& is wrong with Fredrick on the road? He had the exact same shooting night at Howard (0 - 4 and 0 from 3) It appears that if Fredrick does NOT hit his first 3 or 4 shots, then he stops being aggressive on the offensive end. Miller needs to get him in the office and tell him that they will have a hard time winning on the road if he does not shoot the ball: 3) Once again, UC cannot stop a power team. UC scored 79 points and STILL LOST the game. That appears to be a habit with Miller's teams. UC's pick and roll defense still stinks and Miller continues to play pick and roll the same way. No zone defense. No switching man-to-man. Nothing different to stop anybody for 3 years. That is also disturbing. Here is what is funny. The new coach that Miller hired, Josh Loffler, was a head coach at Johns Hopkins before he came to UC. His 2022-23 team only gave up 60 points a game. Clearly, this guy knows defense. Why not let Loeffler handle the defense and Miller handle the offense? When I read the Miller hired Loeffler, I was all fired up thinking that the defense would get better. Man, was I wrong.

It is time to go get a cold one, so I will end with this. I like this UC team. I believe that they have the players. UC appears to be searching for that 3rd starting guard. I do not know if Skillings is the answer because of his poor defense and his inability to hit the 3 consistently. James may be that 3rd guard that they are looking for. Put James at the point and let Thomas play at the 2 guard spot. Newman, James, and Thomas are the three most consistent guards. They also are not bad defenders.

I know that a lot of people are upset over the Xavier loss. However, losing the Xavier game may be the BEST thing that could have happened to this UC team right now. Now they know what it is going to take to beat a Power Six basketball team. BY the way, watch out for Dayton. Their big men are pretty good and will give UC a hard time. It is time for Miller to start playing a BIG BOY non-conference schedule to toughen up his teams. Stop playing so many games that do NOT make the team better. I like this UC team. Nevertheless, the elephant in the room and the wild card is Miller. UC has the players. The question now is, does UC have the coaching?
                        Last edited by leeraymond; 12-11-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Sure, have your best players transfer out, lose your two blue chip recruits, hire somebody else and start over. No, we need continuity. It takes time to build a program. Last year JD3 started and played major minutes. This year at Arkansas he’s averaging 3.5 ppg in 13 minutes. Wes played him because he had nobody any better. It takes time, Wes is bringing guys who can win in the Big 12.
                          This might shock you but it appears we agree! Whether the sport is football or basketball I have long held the view that it often takes 4-5 years to fully evaluate a coach (this assumes no scandals, collapses, etc. which would shorten that time frame). At that point the coach should have a team comprised entirely of his guys. Go back and re-read what I wrote - I said I'd give him one more year and if the program is not at the level the fanbase expects then it would be time to make a change. He's in year 3 at UC so next year is year 4. If the team is not up to the standard Bearcats fans have come to expect by that time then it would be justifiable to go in a different direction. Now as for the question of what is your standard or performance I am certainly happy to have that debate. Would you say being NCAA tourny bound 2 out of every 3 years and beating X more than 50% of the time is reasonable?
                          Last edited by Binturong05; 12-11-2023, 03:52 PM.
                          "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

• Seems like > 2 quad 1 wins in 2+ years should be in the mix for coaching goals.
                            Last edited by Bearcat93; 12-11-2023, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post

This might shock you but it appears we agree! Whether the sport is football or basketball I have long held the view that it often takes 4-5 years to fully evaluate a coach (this assumes no scandals, collapses, etc. which would shorten that time frame). At that point the coach should have a team comprised entirely of his guys. Go back and re-read what I wrote - I said I'd give him one more year and if the program is not at the level the fanbase expects then it would be time to make a change. He's in year 3 at UC so next year is year 4. If the team is not up to the standard Bearcats fans have come to expect by that time then it would be justifiable to go in a different direction. Now as for the question of what is your standard or performance I am certainly happy to have that debate. Would you say being NCAA tourny bound 2 out of every 3 years and beating X more than 50% of the time is reasonable?
                              Third season under Wes Miller and no NCAA Tournament berths. Have to think if UC does not make the tournament next season then it is time to reevaluate.
                              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

• The Eggmen will play at GA in NIT.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X