UC / U of L / UConn to ACC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
    For the sake of discussion, let's assume that Clemson and Florida State are going to the SEC. And let's assume that UC, U of L and UConn are ACC bound. Here is what the ACC would look like:

Notre Dame (all but football)
    Duke
    North Carolina
    Virginia
    Boston College
    Georgia Tech
    Miami
    NC State
    Wake Forest
    UC
    Louisville
    UConn
    Syracuse
    Pitt

That's 13 all sports teams and 14 basketball teams. In football, ND has committed to playing so many games against ACC teams. That opens the distinct possibility of a UC / ND game.

The team line up above blows away whatever is left of the Big East. And I think this ACC lineup could not only survive but thrive.
    What about Virginia Tech? Are they moving... and how did I not hear about it?
    "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that Clemson and Florida State are going to the SEC. And let's assume that UC, U of L and UConn are ACC bound. Here is what the ACC would look like:
      No way that SEC schools will allow FSU and Clemson to join. It makes sense, but you have to remember FSU voted to go the SEC last year and decided against it. Clemson will never go because USC. What I have been hearing is that SEC goes after NC and VT for those markets and to make a footprint right in the heart of ACC country. The play for FSU is to move to the B12, but I'm not sure Texas wants to share. IMHO, the first conference to act will either end this conf realignment (ACC expands to 16), or if another conference starts, we will see the emergence of the super conferences. The worst case scenario is that the we end up in the MWC/CUSA continental conference, which is still not the worst place to be especially if Boise and the MWC are still there. Not ideal, but it beats being an independent.

Comment

I forgot to list VaTech. My bad. What's interesting to note is the large amount of former Big East football members that would make up the ACC. I count 8.
        Keith Wedinger
        Bearcatnews.com Administrator
        Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
          Ryan Pence of Bearcatlair tweeted:

@pencerm
          I'm hearing the #Bearcats to the ACC is a done deal. Maybe even to the point of a signed agreement. Working to confirm.

@pencerm
          I should clarify, nothing is confirmed. But I have enough information to post what I have. Where there's smoke, there's fire. #Bearcats

Either this is really happening, or this kid is putting his job on the line ...
          It's bcl. They never let facts get in the way of a juicy story.

Comment

Someone earlier had said that it was FSU that was strongly pushing the expansion to 16 and therefore us and Louisville.

Comment

Even if VaTech and FSU etc go, it's basically the Big East we signed up for way back when, just named ACC. I can live with that.

Been saying all along: decent football is great, but I just want a good home for basketball that doesn't cause recruiting to implode.

Comment

Let us NOT assume Clemson and FSU are going to the SEC. I think it depends on the UMd case vs the ACC. A conference with 16 football teams and 18 basketball teams (adding Georgetown), would make more sense for the next few years.

(Everyone says "the ACC will choose UConn if it wants academics, and Louisville if it wants strong sports," UC is a much greater academic school than UofL and a much better all round sports product than UConn. While I do not think that any conference will only take one team, if they did we are the balanced choice)
                Last edited by 'nati streets; 11-24-2012, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                  Even if VaTech and FSU etc go, it's basically the Big East we signed up for way back when, just named ACC. I can live with that.

Been saying all along: decent football is great, but I just want a good home for basketball that doesn't cause recruiting to implode.
                  Agreed...and I'd look forward to this conference schedule. Good to keep UC in the best basketball conference in the country

Comment

Originally posted by 'nati streets View Post
                    Let us NOT assume Clemson and FSU are going to the SEC. I think it depends on the UMd case vs the ACC. A conference with 16 football teams and 18 basketball teams (adding Georgetown), would make more sense for the next few years.

(Everyone says "the ACC will choose UConn if it wants academics, and Louisville if it wants strong sports," UC is a much greater academic school than UofL and a much better all round sports product than UConn. While I do not think that any conference will only take one team, if they did we are the balanced choice)
                    UConn is not much academically.

I have to imagine the UNC/Duke blue bloods are holding their noses right now about us and the ville, but conference affiliation stopped being about academics about 5 years ago.

Comment

Dear Santa, please give my UC Bearcats entry into the ACC.
                      That would be the best Christmas gift ever!!!
                      JDBearcat
                      RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

Very interesting read. Are we being considered for the ACC and Big 12?

http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com...ghts-16-teams/
                        Last edited by longtimefan; 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Count me among those that think this is the best fit moving forward. The ACC offers a bright future, is geographically a better fit (than the Big 12) and allows UC to (likely) be competitive in the league.

A couple of random thoughts that I haven't seen in this thread yet...
                          • Don't be surprised if the Big 10 isn't done yet...Georgia Tech may still be in their sites (Atlanta is a huge TV market - would help the Big 10 Network)
                          • Remember when the Big 12 nearly imploded...Who knows if Texas really is in for the long term there... Most people point to the bowl agreement between the Big 12 and the SEC as a sign of stability. Although if Texas bolts, that league could very well collapse, or at least lose a lot of its luster.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                            Very interesting read. Are we being considered for the ACC and Big 12?

http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com...ghts-16-teams/
                            Good find. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                              UConn is not much academically.

I have to imagine the UNC/Duke blue bloods are holding their noses right now about us and the ville, but conference affiliation stopped being about academics about 5 years ago.
                              In the 60's in college rankings isn't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
                                [*]Don't be surprised if the Big 10 isn't done yet...Georgia Tech may still be in their sites (Atlanta is a huge TV market - would help the Big 10 Network)[/LIST]
                                yep - I try to avoid the details of all this mess, but it seems like the end game is 16-team conferences.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X