UC / U of L / UConn to ACC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BearcatNationUC View Post
    Maybe someone can help explain our financial endowment. As I understand it UC has a substantial endowment fund and it is often touted as an asset to the University, yet it always seems we are in dire straits financially. Based on this article, we are in the top 100 schools (private & public) in terms of the size of our endowment.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...oes/57704440/1

I'm just curious to learn more about what this all means.
    The endowment is a pool of money. People have the ability to donate to the endowment. However, the university can not (or does not) use the endowment fund directly.

The university receives the interest from the endowment to use as necessary. This way, the endowment provides sustainable income... instead of a one-time-use donation.
    "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
      Look, the big 12 is one move away from having the same panic as the big east if texas moves. Both the Acc and Big 12 have issues if there is any fallout to the big ten or sec. I just really wonder if the Big 10 and sec really want to risk dilution of what they earning now. I suspect any moves would have to be big time guaranteed money makers. One thing i haven't heard is what the syc, pitt and lou deals are in the new conference. They may not be full members at inception. This is an important factor. We shall see.....
      Despite what others have said about Texas and the rest of the B12 being tied together because of TV rights, we all know they will do what the want and fight it out in the legal system. The B12 and ACC definitely have potential stability issues, but I'd rather be in the ACC vs. BE 4.0 (aka C-USA 5.0).

I doubt any new school is getting a full share immediately. Nebraska is still receiving partial shares from the B10. I heard somewhere it is a 3-5 year phase in to a full share. Maybe start @ 75 or 80% and earn 5% per year?
      Last edited by RedRocker; 11-29-2012, 12:12 PM.
      RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
      CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

• Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
        The endowment is a pool of money. People have the ability to donate to the endowment. However, the university can not (or does not) use the endowment fund directly.

The university receives the interest from the endowment to use as necessary. This way, the endowment provides sustainable income... instead of a one-time-use donation.
        Didn't we just raise a billion dollars (or very close to it)? That money wasn't for the endowment fund was it? As someone said, Varsity Village enhances the whole campus, and campus life, and certainly helps draw in prospective students. Is the Athletic Department supposed to pay for it by itself? If the University builds a new physics building, does the Physics Department have to pay for it, and, if so, how would all the individual University components do so? At one point some years ago I had an interesting discussion on this Forum with a UC prof about athletic scholarships. While I know what they do, I've never understood assigning the cost of tuition to the athletic department, since it almost never costs the school anything extra to educate student athletes - though I do accept assigning them the cost of room/board, etc. Does the University charge the cost of a scholarship to the Political Science department for their scholarship students; I don't know. maybe they do - but if so, how do the Poli Sci people "pay" for them?

Look, either athletics are a component of the University, part of the university "experience," or they aren't. If they are, then the University as a whole has to accept at least some rational share of the funding - Ono can't whoop it up at Nippert and then say Babcock is on his own. If they aren't, then we need to drop intercollegiate athletics down to what the Division 3 people do; or at most treat them the way the Ivies do (which is basically the same as Division 3). If we are going to compete at the highest levels of intercollegiate athletics then the University has to recognize that while there are huge benefits that come from success doing that - there are no free lunches - Babcock and the rest will need the tools to do so.

Stepping off my soap box.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
          Look, the big 12 is one move away from having the same panic as the big east if texas moves.
          Once again...

The Big 12 schools have all signed a Grant of Rights -- no matter how big and powerful Texas is, they're locked into the B12 until the GOR expires (in 10+ years). They can't just pay a buyout and walk away, even if they wanted to.

The Big 12 is the most stable conference there is right now.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by DBrentonBuck View Post
            My endowment is also substantial... or at least that is what I tell myself.
            Do you have one of those carnival mirrors in your house?

Comment

• Well, this would certainly open a spot for UC into the ACC....

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/...artner=popular

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                Well, this would certainly open a spot for UC into the ACC....

Almost makes waiting somewhat palatable. This whole thing is a mess and not just for UC. There are plenty of schools that currently exist in the ACC and Big12 that are sweating the next big move.

Comment

• I don't want the ACC to get poached in case we do get the invite but it would serve those idiots right for not getting to 16 first in an attempt to prevent the poaching.
                  Walter Merritt

"If you're the fan of a team then you should support that program no matter how you feel about who is coaching them. Because if I'm not doing my job I will be gone but the program will still be there." - Mick Cronin

Comment

• Originally posted by ME80 View Post
                    Almost makes waiting somewhat palatable. This whole thing is a mess and not just for UC. There are plenty of schools that currently exist in the ACC and Big12 that are sweating the next big move.
                    We'll be in the ACC no later than '15, but the question will be: what will the ACC look like by then? Frankly, it's going to look a lot like the old Big East.

The ACC could lose 2-6 teams with NC, NC State, Duke, UVA, VT, GT, FSU and Clemson all in play.

UC, UConn and USF could be added along with UCF and others.
                    RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

• When it is all done there will be the Pac, Big10, SEC and an east west merged conference between the remaining ACC and Big12 members.

Comment

• Originally posted by OCASCM07 View Post
                        I don't want the ACC to get poached in case we do get the invite but it would serve those idiots right for not getting to 16 first in an attempt to prevent the poaching.
                        What about getting to 16 teams would prevent another conference poaching schools from the ACC? I've seen this point come up multiple times, and seem to be missing something.
                        If you listen to people in the stands, you’ll be sitting there with them.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                          Well, this would certainly open a spot for UC into the ACC....

The ACC will be the old BE.

And they will still looking in from the outside for major bowls.

UC needs to concentrate on getting an invite one of the four, sixteen team conferences. They, and only they, will be in control of the large pursestrings.

I feel pretty confident that the ACC is not the answer.

Comment

• If we are truly one of the top choices left outside the "big 5", I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better for UC if the 50 million exit fee for Maryland were upheld and the ACC stayed intact.

In that scenario it seems like there would be at least a chance of less shuffling between the big conferences and in turn, five conferences looking to fill their few remaining spots from the best programs still available, instead of a consolidation into four super conferences which we would most likely not be a part of.

Comment

• Don't be surprised if its the Big 12.

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                              We'll be in the ACC no later than '15, but the question will be: what will the ACC look like by then? Frankly, it's going to look a lot like the old Big East.

The ACC could lose 2-6 teams with NC, NC State, Duke, UVA, VT, GT, FSU and Clemson all in play.

UC, UConn and USF could be added along with UCF and others.

Comment

• No, we could never get where we want to go staying put. There is not enough revenue.

Originally posted by applegbt View Post
                                If we are truly one of the top choices left outside the "big 5", I sometimes wonder if it wouldn't be better for UC if the 50 million exit fee for Maryland were upheld and the ACC stayed intact.

In that scenario it seems like there would be at least a chance of less shuffling between the big conferences and in turn, five conferences looking to fill their few remaining spots from the best programs still available, instead of a consolidation into four super conferences which we would most likely not be a part of.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X