No announcement yet.

More Big Ten movement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the viewpoint of SMU's president on realignment in general, but with an eye on the B1G. (Kindly ignore the blatant editorial error because there is no such conference as the "Whack".)

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2013...big-east-foot/

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat25 View Post
      I just don't see that happening. I've been surprised before, but those two schools are joined at the hip. I can see NC State breaking away from the group, but not UNC/Duke.
      Actually, the way the university system in NC is set up, NC and NC State are joined at the hip. Duke is just a private university that happens to have a nice rivalry, and basketball is not a consideration in realignment.

Comment

Sounds like the B1G is getting antsy again according to Jeff Ermann‏ @insidemdsports:

"Big 10 talk buzzing again. #UVA being mentioned often as likely to join. Georgia Tech still in the mix. #UNC, the big domino, has an offer."

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/201...offer-virginia
        Last edited by RedRocker; 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM.
        RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
        CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

All the Big 10 cares about is television markets and they will add 2 more schools within the next 12-18 months. They want Georgia Tech bad, but there is a by law in the Big 10 that says they can't add a school unless they are in a state that is adjacent to a current member's state. Which is probably why they are interested in Virginia and UNC.

Comment

Originally posted by cinmike View Post
            All the Big 10 cares about is television markets and they will add 2 more schools within the next 12-18 months. They want Georgia Tech bad, but there is a by law in the Big 10 that says they can't add a school unless they are in a state that is adjacent to a current member's state. Which is probably why they are interested in Virginia and UNC.
            I didn't know it was a bylaw, but in this environment, I'm sure bylaws will be changed to accomodate their wants.

Red Rocker
            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
              I didn't know it was a bylaw, but in this environment, I'm sure bylaws will be changed to accomodate their wants.
              The bylaws dont mean anything anymore. I remember hearing the ACC had a bylaw that the state had to touch the Atlantic Ocean but they must have changed that to allow Louisville in.

Comment

Here's a B1G blogger slant:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/20...uth-expansion/

I agree that there likely won't be any movement until the whole ACC vs. Maryland suit is resolved. Once that is over, just as quick as Keith Jackson could say: "Whoa Nellie", the floodgates will open up.

I don't see UNC leaving, but UVA and GT could be real possibilities.

Red Rocker
                CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by Binturong05 View Post
                  The way I read it from an article on the matter is it's not even about getting people to watch Ohio State or Michigan, it's simply about getting added to the cable package. If you assume the Big Ten network adds a buck or two to your cable package, now multiply that by millions of households in a metropolitan area and pretty soon you're talking real money. It's not really about fans or patronage or Nielson ratings, it's about getting added to the cable offering plain and simple. The home team in the area (in this case Georgia Tech) would be the driver for adding the channel to the local lineup.
                  Ruh roh. Seems Jim Delaney et al may have been a little myopic in their decision to add teams in other TV markets if John McCain's cable bill has any chance in passing. If the bill passes this would theoretically mean ala carte channel choices in which the Big Ten Network would have to actively be subscribed to instead of simply picking up market share by piggybacking the home team.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/4-things-jo...145722767.html

Now granted this bill is anything but certain. They've been tossing around an idea like this for over a decade and every time the cable TV lobby bribes, er I mean, persuades enough politicians to get this bill suppressed.
                  "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Ha ha, McCain is just grandstanding. See the congressional outrage re: Steroids.

Ruh roh. Seems Jim Delaney et al may have been a little myopic in their decision to add teams in other TV markets if John McCain's cable bill has any chance in passing. If the bill passes this would theoretically mean ala carte channel choices in which the Big Ten Network would have to actively be subscribed to instead of simply picking up market share by piggybacking the home team.

Now granted this bill is anything but certain. They've been tossing around an idea like this for over a decade and every time the cable TV lobby bribes, er I mean, persuades enough politicians to get this bill suppressed.

Comment

There is zero chance that this congress will side with consumers over corporations. Forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                        I agree that there likely won't be any movement until the whole ACC vs. Maryland suit is resolved. Once that is over, just as quick as Keith Jackson could say: "Whoa Nellie", the floodgates will open up.

I don't see UNC leaving, but UVA and GT could be real possibilities.
                        When will the Maryland lawsuit be heard or resolved? I thought it was February, then moved to April or May. I have not heard about any more setbacks or delays.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

This is old but I found several like it speculating on four super conferences. I find it interesting that they do have a few teams dropping out of the super conferences and others being invited in. The take on Baylor, USF, West Virginia among others caught my eye. I really do not think that the expansions are over and as this article as well as others is that you will not see this over night but it is where they think we will ultimately end.
                          http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ould-look-like
                          I am worried that UC does not find a home in the Super East, Super SEC, Super BIG, or Super PAC. Texas as an independent much like ND is interesting.

Comment

"If your team isn't a current member of a BCS AQ conference, and they're not mentioned herein or rumored to be making the move to a BCS AQ conference, the chances are pretty high that you'll find your team landing in the to-be-determined “mid major” superconferences (some sort of mix between Conference USA, MWC, Sun Belt, WAC, and MAC)." OUCH

Comment

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ary-violations
                              But I thought that their president said that they were paying their players. lol.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X