No announcement yet.

More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion piece from Texas Tech student newspaper. Take it for what it's worth.

http://www.dailytoreador.com/opinion....html?mode=jqm

Comment

At least there is some talk about it within the conference. However, I disagree with the premise of the title of this thread. The Big12 does not need UC. I would agree though that the Big12 does need to expand to at least 12 schools for the reason stated in the article of adding a championship game thus being more enticing for the 4 team playoff. It still is all about money and until the powers in the Big12 decide that increasing the split to 12 versus 10 would, in the long-term help the conference, nothing will happen. I do believe that the reason we have our current football coach and AD is to make that happen and I do see movement quicker than later.

Comment

It's also about getting espn to pay more for the tv contract if they add 2 more teams. The teams have to drive some value into the contract on their own and then the championship game. If they can get to a point where the increased contract covers the new teams, they will add.
        Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

^ and I am sure that there is a lot of behind the scenes discussions going on right now concerning TV deals. I am not sure if ESPN has the Big12 right now but does anyone own the championship game that currently does not exists? What college brings the largest TV market to the Big12? Which team brings the best recruiting state to the Big12? The answer to both of those have to be Florida and Ohio.

Comment

In this day and age the "recruiting state" impact is not what it once was. With cable and satellite coverage you still see a lot of big 12 teams currently in the ohio market. Would it help having teams travel here every year. Probably, but they are not as shutout of the market as they once were.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
              UC was considered to be an outlaw school throughout the 70's & 80's. The academics were mediocre (at best) in most of the colleges (except DAAP, Engineering and Medicine). Attendance was horrible in a day when Nippert held only 26K and had been condemned, forcing the Cats to play at Riverfront Stadium. We went on probation after Tony Mason left as head coach, because of indiscretions during his tenure. The facilities were pathetic. The locker room at Nippert was under the stands, replete with dripping water and roaming rats. The band room was down there, too.

Then, the losing started in spades under Ralph Staub, Dave Curry and Tim Murphy (who remains at Harvard after leaving here following the 1992 season).

Probably the most embarrassing event in the programs' history from that era were the three-weeks(!) in which Lou Saban (Nicks' dad) was UC's AD, after having been an AFL/NFL head coach. He just pulled up stakes and quit. I don't recall why.

The only big programs to come to Cincy to play us were Penn State (independent), Florida State (independent) and Oklahoma State (Big 8). The Cats were competitive only versus the Cowboys, losing a good game before a packed house at Nippert in the fourth quarter the week after UC had upset the Nittany Lions on the road in 1983. That night was a rarity for attendance, especially considering that the game was played during Johnny Bench Night at Riverfront (also sold out, of course). By the end of that year, UC couldn't beat anyone. They were down to their fourth-string QB by the end of the season and collapsed to 4-6-1. (Actually, that was a fairly typical record back then.) Maryland showed up in 1975, but they were merely decent. Kentucky was here too, but they weren't even close to decent.

One of the worst UC games I ever attended was during the Curry era when the Cats lost to Indiana State (I believe 40-16) before 5,000 or so fans at the Hoosier Dome.

So, no. We weren't going to get an invite anywhere. It took creation of another league (C-USA) to get us out of Independent Purgatory.
              Pretty sure Lou Saban was not Nick's father....in fact, I do not believe they were related.

Comment

"'One True Champion' is really about everybody playing everybody," Bowlsby said. "That's the right way to do it."

"We believe that playing everyone every year is the right way to determine a champion," he said, "even if ends in a tie." Reported by ESPN.

This guy can not really believe his own BS, can he? Now I have to root for a 3rd string an Ohio state university quarterback to win the big ten championship so the big 12 gets locked out and has to add teams for a championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
                  "'One True Champion' is really about everybody playing everybody," Bowlsby said. "That's the right way to do it."

"We believe that playing everyone every year is the right way to determine a champion," he said, "even if ends in a tie." Reported by ESPN.

This guy can not really believe his own BS, can he? Now I have to root for a 3rd string an Ohio state university quarterback to win the big ten championship so the big 12 gets locked out and has to add teams for a championship game.
                  Actually, this is what alot of people on here have been complaining about....not playing everyone. The B12 probably has the truest form of a "champion" that there is.
                  Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcattom View Post
                    I work in TV. ESPN is no longer hiring for the LHN based in Austin. Bowlsby sees the LHN as a blocker to launching a Big 12 media property.

I expect at some point...Texas & Oklahoma to crush the B12 and move to the SEC. These schools add significantly to the viewership value of the SEC..enough to pump the $/school to possibly $40-50M.

That opens the door for UC, Boise State, BYU, and SMU (yes, I said SMU).
                    Why SMU? I would think Houston or UCF before SMU.
                    RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                    CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
                      Pretty sure Lou Saban was not Nick's father....in fact, I do not believe they were related.
                      They are related, but is is relatively distant. Nick Saban is the grandson of Lou's uncle.
                      Nate Shelton

Now Is The Time, This Is The Place

Comment

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...r-scholarships
                        IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 has announced it will cover the full cost of a student-athlete's attendance and offer multiyear scholarships.

The league announced Monday that Big 12 schools will cover expenses beyond tuition and fees, room and board and supplies that they deem "reasonably related" to attendance.

The league will hand out scholarships that run at least as long as an athlete's period of eligibility.

The Big 12 will also offer aid to former student-athletes seeking to return to school and earn their degree.

The new bylaws will go into effect on August 1, 2015.

Can UC compete with that? I believe that UC already has some sort of program to help student athletes complete their degree if they leave and want to come back.

Comment

No doubt this would add expense. But like you said, UC already has at least something in place to help returning athletes. Most of the scholarships currently are de facto four year scholarships, though some athletes leave for many different reasons. The "full cost" is another thing. What some schools consider "reasonably related" may not be the same as others. For example at Kentucky, they may consider a new BMW a "reasonably related" expense for basketball players. Now that the P5 has self rule, there is really nothing to stop them from doing anything they want. I firmly believe that the ultimate goal is to get rid of all the non P5 football schools. UAB was the first to go, who will be next?

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                            No doubt this would add expense. But like you said, UC already has at least something in place to help returning athletes. Most of the scholarships currently are de facto four year scholarships, though some athletes leave for many different reasons. The "full cost" is another thing. What some schools consider "reasonably related" may not be the same as others. For example at Kentucky, they may consider a new BMW a "reasonably related" expense for basketball players. Now that the P5 has self rule, there is really nothing to stop them from doing anything they want. I firmly believe that the ultimate goal is to get rid of all the non P5 football schools. UAB was the first to go, who will be next?
                            Xaiver!! Oh wait, that was 40 years ago.. Sorry I couldn't resist.

Seriously, I hope that you are not serious. There is a plethora of high school talent from which to choose, so I believe that even the "have nots" will still have plenty of talent to field competitive and entertaining football teams. The competition for talent will be great because recruits will be able to evaluate college offers with a different set of parameters in play at P5 schools and the few "have nots" that can afford it. I seriously hope that more schools lose their football programs.

I read (I believe on this forum in another thread on the topic) that UAB did not have a separate Board of Trustees from Alabama and the decision was out of the hands of folks associated with UAB. I believe that to be a rare case. I do not have data, though I believe the potential for greater/improved revenue keeps programs going that have to be subsidized (i.e. losing money).
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Another source, not sure how reliable. Take for what it's worth. Another rumor circulating says Santa Onto visited Dallas and K-State last week.

TigerJay (@jay_256) tweeted at 4:52 PM on Thu, Dec 04, 2014:
                              Nashville 's 102.5 is reporting that no matter what happens, the Big 12 WILL add 2 members THIS SUMMER and those 2 are MEMPHIS &Cincy!

https://mobile.twitter.com/jay_256/s...608728576?s=02
                              Last edited by longtimefan; 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Um, I am not sure if Memphis has ever been in any conversation with any P5 conference expansion. Yes, they have a storied basketball history but b-ball is not driving this. Their football is middle of the road but is on the rise. There can not be a huge TV market in TN after the Vols. Do the Tigers add to a recruiting base for the B12? It would be great if this were true because it includes UC and it includes a lont-time rival.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X