No announcement yet.

More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks like the folks at UCONN are worried about it. If this is true, look for the ACC to consider a preemptive strike and add UCONN and UC. The ACC still fears that the B$G or SEC will look to raid them, and as far as ACC is concerned the best two remaining options are UC and UCONN (at least it was reported that way when the added Louisville). If the ACC gets raided and UC and UCONN are not available, they are in a tough spot, so it would not surprise me if they are at least considering such a move, but only if there is any truth behind the UC to the Big 12 rumors. Of course the ACC would like ND to join as a full member, but ND cares only about themselves, and for them staying independent with the NBC deal is much more lucrative.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 12-06-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

One additional thing, it is being reported that Fedex, based in Memphis, is willing to open up the wallet and help with the expansion if Memphis is added. Maybe it's just me, but I can't ever see major Cincinnati companies like P&G, Kroger, Macy's, Western Southern or any other company doing anything like that to help the local University.

Comment

It's not about opening up wallets exactly. It's more about purchasing advertising time. Tv contracts become negotiable when more $'s come to the table. A conference contract with added sponsor $'s means more money to the conferences. Follow the trail. However, i'm not certain our fan base really is behind us going to a bigger conference. The turnout today was certainly not indicative of that. We have a lot of "occasional" fans.

Comment

^The attendance was down right embarrassing. All the weather forecast said that the rain would be gone by noon so that should not have been a factor. One can dress for a dry cold and that is what we did. With 14k tickets being given away to presumably Bearcat fans, I thought that there would be more in the seats. However, it seems that people take free stuff for granted and can easily discard it as well.

As for FedEx and Memphis, maybe they realize that the only hope they have is to bring UC along with them. Memphis may not have enough by themselves to get in. As mentioned previously, Memphis does get the Big12 into SEC territory while UC would open up the fertile Ohio market in tosu's backyard.

Comment

You have the last part backwards. UC is bringing Memphis.
            In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
            Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

^I agree and that is what I meant. With UC's openness about their desire to join a P5, it would make sense for a school that has not been mentioned to use whatever relationship they have with UC to get an invite. Memphis may have FedEx but not enough clout to go alone. However, I have said it before, UC was Memphis prior to joining the Big East. Moving to that conference did wonders for our football program, our ability to recruit, and our rise out of purgatory to success. There is no coincidence that we have owned Miami (OH) since joining the Big East (well, other than they just plain suck). I believe that the American still has more to offer than Conference USA or the MAC but we will be back to purgatory before too long without an invite to a P5.

Comment

We went to Memphis for the Vanderbilt Bowl game and found it to be a pretty cool but small-ish city. Not sure what Oxford we are talking about...Oxford Ohio? No comparison Memphis hands down. Memphis and Cincinnati provide WVU with two teams in the same time zone. I might have thought that the Big 12 would want to grab UCF to get a Florida school.

Comment

Why wouldn't the Big 12 go to 14 schools like the Big 10 (never mind the math), they could take UC, UCONN, Memphis, and UCF. UCONN brings a powerhouse basketball program. I get that these move are all about football, but if I'm a conference boss and I can get a national championship contendor in basketball I will swallow the pill and take the bad football team. Note that a few years ago, they tied for the BigEast championship in football. UCONN football could rise from the ashes again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat-in-Italy View Post
                    Not sure what Oxford we are talking about...Oxford Ohio?
                    Oxford, MS, home of Ole Miss.

Comment

Baylor and TCU bickering over "one true champion.". Championship game would have settled it just like every other conference.

Comment

Earlier this week the Big 12 commissioner thought they had a good chance to get two teams in the playoff, after today they may get shut out. Interesting.....

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                          Earlier this week the Big 12 commissioner thought they had a good chance to get two teams in the playoff, after today they may get shut out. Interesting.....
                          I am curious why you say that. Both TCU and Baylor won. I know that Baylor has the head to head win and that was a great game earlier in the season. Is this because of the tosu blowout/shutout of Wisconsin?

I also have a question for the pollsters...... Our beloved Bearcats have won 7 straight, not many non-p5 teams have done that. Are we the highest ranked now and get to go to a big boy bowl game? lol.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_...true-conundrum One true conundrum.....

I do believe that the Big12 will be left out of the playoff. Baylor won the head to head which TCU should have and could have won but did not. tosu has more prestige, more influence, and more traveling fans so they will get the nod. I have to admit that OSU's win over Wisconsin yesterday was nothing less than spectacular.
                          Last edited by bearcatbret; 12-07-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11992137

baylor coach blasts commissioner over co-champions. It's about to get interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian H. View Post

baylor coach blasts commissioner over co-champions. It's about to get interesting.
                              This makes me more excited about the real possibility of Big 12 expansion than any internet or radio rumor.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian H. View Post

The conference's own rules say that if 2 teams have the same conference won loss record there is a TIE BREAKER - the nod (championship) goes to the team that won the head to head game. Not sure where the commissioner is coming from - but as of this moment in time BAYLOR is THE Big 12 2014 football CHAMPION - per the conference's own RULES!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X