More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
    Interesting that ESPN listed us as one of the 5 top jobs outside the P5. We were in the group with BYU and Houston. BYU wants in and so do we. Do it.
    Not that surprising... if your wanting to become a P5 head coach but can't get hired yet... UC is probably your best way to get a P5 in the next 3 years.. We have the best track record so far:

Dantonio in less than 3 years gets the HC at Mich St.
    B. Kelly in 3 years gets the HC job at Notre Dame
    B. Jones in 3 years gets the HC job at Tennessee

If I'm a HC looking to move up the ladder, and there aren't any P5 jobs available UC is number on my list then.

Comment

• Right now it's the highest paid g5 coaching job. That is the biggest reason. Would you rather make 750k or 2m?

Comment

• Draw your own conclusions

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...elaxed-by-2016

Assuming this is true, it would seem to remove any pressure on the Big12 to have to expand. Doesn't mean they won't (eventually)...just removes the pressure

Comment

• Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
          Draw your own conclusions

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...elaxed-by-2016

Assuming this is true, it would seem to remove any pressure on the Big12 to have to expand. Doesn't mean they won't (eventually)...just removes the pressure
          I have always said that putting our hopes on the Big12 having to expand because of a conference championship game is false hope. Even if they don't allow the exemption I think the playoffs will go to 6 or 8 teams which means any great Big12 team will make it.

Are only chance is if Oklahoma or Texas bolts and then the musical chairs start again. Hopefully we don't end up in the Big12 at a point which then consolidates into 4 and we are left out again.

Comment

• All I have to say is this sucks big time & in my opinion we will not be going to a P5
            conference.
            JDBearcat
            RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

• This only reinforces my belief that the g5 schools have to bond together for fb and bb and put together the best conference they can(east to west) and fortify the product they can control. It may also be easier now to convince byu to entertain such an affiliation, but not necessarily. Tv money is there if they product supports it.

Comment

• Bummer. Unless Ono and Bohn can work some sort of magic, our long-term home is the unbalanced AAC. In both football and basketball, there are chasms between the top and bottom. There's very little middle-ground. In football, barring some really strong OOC wins, there isn't enough depth for any AAC team to be in the hunt for a major bowl. The numbers just won't be there.

It won't be as big of a problem in basketball, but it requires that UC schedule up. All major schools play their share of bottom feeders from the MEAC, Big South and SWAC, but UC can't afford to have a bunch of them.

Comment

• Bains:
                  http://cincyontheprowl.com/2015/04/2...game-a-factor/

Comment

• One true champion would work if a Big 12 team is undefeated. When counting 1 loss teams to each other, the 13th game would give those teams an advantage when counting high quality of championship game opponent.

If there was a rule to allow a ten team coference to put on a championship game, how would you decide who plays. Is it the best two records, standings in the rankings? I'd think, they would have to designate division in one way or another.

Imagine if Baylor and TCU were in the same division this year, one losing to Kansas Stat in the championship game and the other still being snubbed for a playoff slot. They could expand to 12 and still play a round robin schedule, though it is unlikely. Every team could have five home games and one away game, with each team playing at neutral Cotton Bowl site as the "Game of the Week"!

No matter what happens, east coast teams will still get a nod due to tv exposure and shear population numbers. If only Yankee Stadium were available for Big 12 games of the week....
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• The Big 12 as a football conference is screwed. And not because they don't have good teams....they certainly do. But the folks running the show in Austin just don't get it.
                      The selection committee is going to take a 1 loss OSU, USC, Michigan, ND, Alabama, or FSU team that has played a 13th Championship game EVERY TIME over an undefeated Baylor or TCU or even Texas. The loons in Austin need to get over themselves.....but they won't.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post
                        The Big 12 as a football conference is screwed. And not because they don't have good teams....they certainly do. But the folks running the show in Austin just don't get it.
                        The selection committee is going to take a 1 loss OSU, USC, Michigan, ND, Alabama, or FSU team that has played a 13th Championship game EVERY TIME over an undefeated Baylor or TCU or even Texas. The loons in Austin need to get over themselves.....but they won't.

It won't matter soon because the Big 12 will be allowed to have a 13th game without expanding. I think they just de-regulated the conference championship requirement. The power 5 can make up their own rules now. Regardless, I think the CFP will expand to 6 or 8 teams so there will be room for every great team to get in. I really have a bad feeling that UC is screwed for the foreseeable future if not forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                          It won't matter soon because the Big 12 will be allowed to have a 13th game without expanding. I think they just de-regulated the conference championship requirement. The power 5 can make up their own rules now. Regardless, I think the CFP will expand to 6 or 8 teams so there will be room for every great team to get in. I really have a bad feeling that UC is screwed for the foreseeable future if not forever.
                          I just can't see UC dropping $80M+ on Nippert with no expectation/hint/strong rumor of getting into a P5. It just seems like too much of a gamble for the conservative minded Cincinnatians. People in Cincy don't buy luxury suites on a whim. I hope not but maybe we just bought the best high school playoff venue in the country.

Comment

• Maybe the NCAA will allow a 6-8 or team playoff, but the stipulation is the teams involved can't have participated in a conference championship game...

As to the P5 having autonomy to change the conference playoff rules, I don't think the other 4 will give the Big 12 what they want. On a per team basis, the Big 12 already makes the most money per university. Allowing a championship game and easier access to the playoffs will generate more money to the conference. The other four know that they are headed toward stipends and forcing the Big 12 to split their shares with more teams could prevent the best players from being bought by Oklahoma and Texas. Money isn't the issue so much as greedy ego is the issue. The Big 12 leaders believe they are better than the other P5 conference and that arrogance is not well received.

Net: UC is stuck waiting, and waiting, and waiting. There's nothing more we can do.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
                              It won't matter soon because the Big 12 will be allowed to have a 13th game without expanding. I think they just de-regulated the conference championship requirement. The power 5 can make up their own rules now.
                              Yea I'm aware that the Big 12 will be allowed to have a championship game without expanding. But has the Big 12 announced that they're going to have a 13th game? From what I have read it sounds like not all members are on board with the idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by hipal88 View Post
                                I just can't see UC dropping $80M+ on Nippert with no expectation/hint/strong rumor of getting into a P5. It just seems like too much of a gamble for the conservative minded Cincinnatians. People in Cincy don't buy luxury suites on a whim. I hope not but maybe we just bought the best high school playoff venue in the country.

I don't think they sunk the 80 mil because they have any knowledge that they are going to a power 5 conference. I think UC knows they must do this so that they can present themselves favorably IF the invite comes since there are other programs we would be competing against. When X built the Cintas Center they were in the A10 and their new facility was unnecessarily way above the other facilities in the A10. They didn't know if they would ever upgrade to a better conference which they eventually did by getting lucky that the old big east imploded. Louisville is in the ACC instead of us because they invested in their facilities ahead of any invites. (I realize that UL is in a different situation than us for other reasons) I hope as a bearcat fan that these upgrades pay off for us.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X