No announcement yet.

More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe I mentioned somewhere on here about Memphis being a possibility. I might have mentioned on here about expecting the announcement after the ncaa basketball tournament.
    In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
    Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
      Um, I am not sure if Memphis has ever been in any conversation with any P5 conference expansion. Yes, they have a storied basketball history but b-ball is not driving this. Their football is middle of the road but is on the rise. There can not be a huge TV market in TN after the Vols. Do the Tigers add to a recruiting base for the B12? It would be great if this were true because it includes UC and it includes a lont-time rival.
      BUT!!! what memphis does have (and something cincy doesn't yet) is HUGE donors (like the CEO of FedEx) and that man brushes elbows with all the big donors of the Big12 (because their all corporate world associates) and I can guarantee he has been talking behind closed doors with many of them to start lobbying for memphis with cincy for a total package to help WV and balance the geographic footprint of the whole conference... Still about the money, just not in the direction everybody was normally thinking

Comment

There is a group of Memphis fans that believe they will get an invite. Personally I think they're nuts. Most of the players from the Memphis area that are above 3 stars end up in the SEC. They are not a destination program and never have been. In that regard they have a similar problem to us in that the big boys take all their quality local recruits. The only way I can see Memphis going into the Big12 is if they opt for 14 teams. The Big12 will almost certainly take UC and UCF first for entry into the Florida recruiting market. I can see a scenario where the Big12 goes to 14 and takes Memphis and USF.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don't know any of the behind the scenes stuff but I do know that on ESPN last night they were bashing the Big 12 for not having a conference championship. Ripping them for their one true champion line and now they won't declare since TCU may get the playoff invite. Said they need to expand and add a playoff.

Comment

Best news I've heard in a while. ESPN and $ drive the bus.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

ESPN drove the Big East right into extinction. When talking about Memphis football, just remember UC prior to the Big East. We were pretty much Memphis. The Big East opened up a whole new football world for UC. If Memphis were to get into a p5, they may just surprise a lot of people in a few years. I suspect that the reason that we have our current AD and coach is to get us into the Big12. People on here have complained that we some how have Big12 rejects but I believe that there is a strategy.

Comment

Here's someone who's sticking his neck out in proclaiming that UC & Memphis to the B12 are a "done deal" by April. We'll see, I suppose.

http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-big-12-...-bearcats.html

Comment

The timing of it relative to the two teams potentially sharing the title this week with ucf is intriguing. However, if the big guy at Fed Ex is driving the bus, those aren't the type of things that generally leak out. Everybody likes to stir the pot, we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                    ESPN drove the Big East right into extinction. When talking about Memphis football, just remember UC prior to the Big East. We were pretty much Memphis. The Big East opened up a whole new football world for UC. If Memphis were to get into a p5, they may just surprise a lot of people in a few years. I suspect that the reason that we have our current AD and coach is to get us into the Big12. People on here have complained that we some how have Big12 rejects but I believe that there is a strategy.
                    When UC got into the Big East we started regularly beating MAC schools for recruits and occasionally lower end P5 schools (e.g. Purdue, Indiana). A Big 12 membership will do all of that and much more in recruiting for us. Same thing for Memphis. A Big 12 membership for Memphis will enable them to recruit against the SEC. I'll bet there are a lot of kids who would rather spend their college careers in Memphis as opposed to Oxford, or Starkville, or Fayeteville, or Columbia, etc

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
                      I'll bet there are a lot of kids who would rather spend their college careers in Memphis as opposed to Oxford, or Starkville, or Fayeteville, or Columbia, etc
                      I can't speak for Oxford, Starkville or Fayetteville, but I lived in Columbia for two years and loved it down there. Nice, clean city. Great climate. State capital. Easy drive to the beaches.

That's not to say that Memphis doesn't have some built-in advantages, but that may not be the driving factor in most kids' choices. Coaches' relationships, playing time, NFL/NBA development and exposure opportunities, TV, etc., probably play a larger role.

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
                        When UC got into the Big East we started regularly beating MAC schools for recruits and occasionally lower end P5 schools (e.g. Purdue, Indiana). A Big 12 membership will do all of that and much more in recruiting for us. Same thing for Memphis. A Big 12 membership for Memphis will enable them to recruit against the SEC. I'll bet there are a lot of kids who would rather spend their college careers in Memphis as opposed to Oxford, or Starkville, or Fayeteville, or Columbia, etc
                        Have you been to Memphis lately??? I'd rather be any of those other cities......

Comment

I actually really like Memphis. It would be my preferred destination along with New Orleans in the current road trip environment of the AAC. I think if this is true, the fedex connection may have some bearing as it relates to tv money/espn, etc as well as upgrading the Liberty bowl. It's assumed that adding non p5 teams dilutes the kitty for existing teams, but if some big corp. advertising or spiff $ come into play, then those tv deals can all of the sudden change, etc.. Time will tell. I read somewhere else that the chairman of the liberty bowl made some comments a week or so ago that in retrospect to this comment now makes some sense. I haven't seen what those comments were, but another lead on this whole rumor. Just show up at the game today to have the stands full for tv as i believe we're on espn today. Go CATS!

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                            I can't speak for Oxford, Starkville or Fayetteville, but I lived in Columbia for two years and loved it down there. Nice, clean city. Great climate. State capital. Easy drive to the beaches.

That's not to say that Memphis doesn't have some built-in advantages, but that may not be the driving factor in most kids' choices. Coaches' relationships, playing time, NFL/NBA development and exposure opportunities, TV, etc., probably play a larger role.
                            I'm not suggesting you, or, me, or many other members this Board wouldn't prefer those small cities, but a young black man from a small southern town might be much more interested in going to college and enjoying the perks that come with a "big city."

Comment

A Hartford paper picked up the story too:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...205-story.html

Comment

Buzzkill

I hate to be a buzzkill but the person that said it is just a sports talk show host throwing out an opinion. They do it all the time just to get people calling in. I realize that it was an ESPN station but that would be like Lance McAllister or Mo Egger speculating here on ESPN1530. That doesn't make it true. I will believe it when there are rumblings from a legitimate source. I still can't believe they would take Memphis either. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X