Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well spoke too soon . Last night President Davenport tweeted this
    Cincinnati-Dayton, w/in 600 miles of 54% of US population; a Top 20 TV market; Westchester explodes along I-75
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I'm seeing reports that BYU could begin Big 12 play effective fiscal year starting July 1, 2017. Rutgers announced in Feb 2012 it was leaving effective July 1, 2014. The AAC wanted $15 million because Rutgers didn't give the requisite 27 months. They sued the AAC and negotiated an $11.5 million exit fee on that timing.

I don't have any inside information, though have to believe AAC teams (including UC) have already began negotiating with the AAC. I predict that UC could get out of the AAC by July 1, 2017 for around $15 million. The exit fees being split by fewer teams with as many as 3 AAC teams leaving means more money per remaining school, plus a forfeiture of bowl and NCAA monies owed that is sitting in conference accounts drawing interest.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
        I'm seeing reports that BYU could begin Big 12 play effective fiscal year starting July 1, 2017. Rutgers announced in Feb 2012 it was leaving effective July 1, 2014. The AAC wanted $15 million because Rutgers didn't give the requisite 27 months. They sued the AAC and negotiated an $11.5 million exit fee on that timing.

I don't have any inside information, though have to believe AAC teams (including UC) have already began negotiating with the AAC. I predict that UC could get out of the AAC by July 1, 2017 for around $15 million. The exit fees being split by fewer teams with as many as 3 AAC teams leaving means more money per remaining school, plus a forfeiture of bowl and NCAA monies owed that is sitting in conference accounts drawing interest.
        I've seen the figure as 11 Million which UC would pay immediately. I'm really not sure about the source of that though because it's been a while and I can't remember where I saw it.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• This has almost nothing to do with realignment but it is significant because this 1996 Gallis Report outlined that the Greater Cincinnati Area encompasses 13 Counties in three states. If you ever wondered what community and civic leaders were looking at 20 years ago, here it is: https://www.uc.edu/cdc/urban_databas...lis_report.pdf .
          The report identified the growth of the region and that the I-75 corridor would be industrialized and connect Cincinnati and Dayton.
          Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-26-2016, 01:59 PM. Reason: Significant because Pres. Davenport tweeted the Cinci-Dayton Market no. 10.

Comment

• It would be nice for all schools involved, current b12 members and any invites, if they did it prior to the start of the season. I think it distracts from the action on the field. However, me thinks the likelihood of this is slim and none.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
              It would be nice for all schools involved, current b12 members and any invites, if they did it prior to the start of the season. I think it distracts from the action on the field. However, me thinks the likelihood of this is slim and none.
              The next scheduled meeting is in October, so you're probably right this won't be decided before play begins. In fact, we will probably not find out anything until after we play the AAC games against most of the other contenders and before BYU, UCF, and Memphis.

Hold onto your seats and have patience, the waiting is the hardest part...

Comment

• From Flugaur: ‏@flugempire 2h2 hours ago
                BTM:Would take UT saying no expansion in total or catastrophe in answering B12 concerns from 1 of candidates for UC/UCONN/UH/BYU not to happen
                BTM: B12 will present questions of concerns...candidates will be told questions/instructions before meeting. Candidates will bring solutions
                BTM: According to OU Contacts Presentations being scheduled between B12 & candidates are turning into Solution driven meetings on concerns
                BTM: Conclusionary Data on "in the air" portion shows clear value for the addition of UCONN to the Big 12 Conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

The next scheduled meeting is in October, so you're probably right this won't be decided before play begins. In fact, we will probably not find out anything until after we play the AAC games against most of the other contenders and before BYU, UCF, and Memphis.

Hold onto your seats and have patience, the waiting is the hardest part...
                  I would tend to agree. I saw a tweet today from Tuxedo Yoda that the new members would be announced before the season for what that is worth. I know the conference situation did become a media hot potato doing the basketball season given the big 12 was having a great year, but all the conference hubbub was distracting from it. I recall several school officials noting it so they are clearly aware of it. I doubt the transition could ever be handled by then(logistics, dates, etc), but i would think they are at a point by labor day to name teams. It would be to their and everyone's benefit. We'll see. Until it's done, it's all speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Yep agree. The ACC threw a big ole curve ball at the college football establishment with their announcement last week. It was a shot not only at the Big 12 but at Jim Delaney and the B1G. All of the talk about Texas trying to pry FSU & Clemson out of the ACC, and Jim Delaney having designs on ACC schools like UNC just went up in smoke. Not gonna happen......at least not for another generation. Which means that we have to find a way to get ourselves into the Big 12. And I have zero confidence with Texas driving the bus that the Big 12 will "do the right thing" in regards to this expansion. I could see Texas shutting the whole expansion process down if they don't get their way (i.e add Houston).
                    I don't think Texas cares if Houston gets in or not.... it was entirely about getting Houston to not challenge TX wanting to add a satellite campus in Houston's backyard.. The deal was that Texas was to support Houstons addition to the Big12, didn't mean Houston would actually get in. If the non-Tx schools vote Houston down TX can be like, "well we did try but were out voted, but thanks for letting us build our campus!".

Comment

Yep agree. The ACC threw a big ole curve ball at the college football establishment with their announcement last week. It was a shot not only at the Big 12 but at Jim Delaney and the B1G. All of the talk about Texas trying to pry FSU & Clemson out of the ACC, and Jim Delaney having designs on ACC schools like UNC just went up in smoke. Not gonna happen......at least not for another generation. Which means that we have to find a way to get ourselves into the Big 12. And I have zero confidence with Texas driving the bus that the Big 12 will "do the right thing" in regards to this expansion. I could see Texas shutting the whole expansion process down if they don't get their way (i.e add Houston).

Originally posted by 98bearcat View Post
                      I don't think Texas cares if Houston gets in or not.... it was entirely about getting Houston to not challenge TX wanting to add a satellite campus in Houston's backyard.. The deal was that Texas was to support Houstons addition to the Big12, didn't mean Houston would actually get in. If the non-Tx schools vote Houston down TX can be like, "well we did try but were out voted, but thanks for letting us build our campus!".
                      I'm aware that some think this is just a ploy by Texas to get their satellite campus in Houston. And I know that Houston has to have the votes to get in. However don't underestimate Texas politics and money from billionaire Houston alums (like Tilman Fertitta). Houston in the Big12 would give UT another Texas voting block member. I'm sure if the boys in Austin decide that it's in their own selfish best interest to have Houston in the Big12, they will find a way to get enough of the non-Texas schools to vote for it.........don't doubt that for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

I'm aware that some think this is just a ploy by Texas to get their satellite campus in Houston. And I know that Houston has to have the votes to get in. However don't underestimate Texas politics and money from billionaire Houston alums (like Tilman Fertitta). Houston in the Big12 would give UT another Texas voting block member. I'm sure if the boys in Austin decide that it's in their own selfish best interest to have Houston in the Big12, they will find a way to get enough of the non-Texas schools to vote for it.........don't doubt that for a minute.

I think this is not a ploy, but a real attempt to get a Texas based voting bloc by adding another state school. Currently, most items require an 80% vote to be passed in the Big 12 which means Texas and TT cannot block an item from passing and that will only get worse with 12 or 14 teams. Having a third state school, i.e. one that can be pressured to vote Texas' way via political influence is important to them and the reason they won't expand to 16 teams. 3 no votes could block any topic up for a vote at 12 or 14 teams; however, 13 yes versus 3 no votes in a 16 team conference would dilute Texas' power (real or perceived).

Hence, Texas will truly fight for Houston and limit expansion to 14 teams. Houston will feel indebted to Texas much the way TT does today. I'm okay with that because there isn't a real reason Houston couldn't be one of the four teams invited. I'd take issue if they were in the top 4 and it meant a deserving team like UC being left out. I don't care if UC is ranked 1 or 4 as long as it's not 5 or lower. I'd be way more suspicious and upset if the team Texas was advocating was Sam Houston State or UTEP, but Houston will grow into the Big 12 if invited.

On the other hand, UC will have that same indebted feeling toward Oklahoma. That's just politics, you rub my back....

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other if Houston gets in, but what do they really bring to the table?

-That market is already locked in for a Big 12 network
                          -The football team has had 1 good season in the last 20 years
                          -The basketball program is on the up, but hasn't been relevant since the 80's
                          -The basketball and football stadiums are about 1/4 full on game days

I know UT has a lot of pull, but I would be shocked if they got in and we didn't.

Comment

• http://247sports.com/Bolt/Big-12-exp...ig-12-46448513
                            UC has the best chance to win the Big 12 in 2017 out of all candidates. It has been interesting to read local articles from existing Big 12 members. WVU does not want BYU or Houston because of the travel. ISU does not want Houston because of the travel. KSU likes Houston because of the travel. Etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by cinmike View Post
                              I wouldn't be surprised one way or the other if Houston gets in, but what do they really bring to the table?

-That market is already locked in for a Big 12 network
                              -The football team has had 1 good season in the last 20 years
                              -The basketball program is on the up, but hasn't been relevant since the 80's
                              -The basketball and football stadiums are about 1/4 full on game days

I know UT has a lot of pull, but I would be shocked if they got in and we didn't.
                              - I can't see a scenario where that happens.

It's kinda like drafting kids into the NBA directly out of high school, it's all about potential. I know there's more to it than that. No school is a sure thing to succeed in the Big 12 much like any draft prospect; however, Houston has the potential to become a good Big 12 member. IMO they are slightly ahead of both Memphis and UConn and behind BYU and UC.

"-That market is already locked in for a Big 12 network" ... if the Big 12 goes with a digital streaming pay option, Houston will bring in additional viewers. I don't believe digital will work out too well because there are more people with cable/satellite than there are college football fans
                              -The football team has had 1 good season in the last 20 years ....correct, but they were pretty good during the Run-n-Gun(shoot) days too.
                              -The basketball program is on the up, but hasn't been relevant since the 80's...Phi Slamma Jamma might not mean much to people under 40, but the basic forum is there for that school to be almost as good a program as UC, though they have a long way to go
                              -The basketball and football stadiums are about 1/4 full on game days...When UC was independent then went to Conference USA and Big East, our attendance soared as product on the field met raised expectations.

Comment

• What am I missing here on the inclusion of Houston to increase the Texas voting block % from 2 to 3?? Did Baylor and TCU move or are they just not on the UT manipulation list and TT is? Confused by this logic.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X