No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academics will be a component in the B12 decision-making process. I read in The Oklahoman that 7 of the 10 current members are classified as Carnegie I Research Institutions (IA St, KS, KS St, OK, TX, TX Tech & WV). Every P5 conference has a majority of its membership classified as such, with the B12 just reaching that level of accomplishment just this year, as 3 schools advanced. They want to keep it that way.

That said, here are the probable expansion candidates with Carnegie I ratings: UC, CO St, UCF, UConn, UH, USF & Tulane. (I still refuse to believe that the Green Wave would be serious contenders, especially in view of the fact that most of the viable candidates fit academically.) Note that Boise St, BYU, ECU and Memphis are not so categorized. That's not to say that the B12 wouldn't add such an institution, but, it seems unlikely that they would add more than one.

Comment

• I doubt that USF had much of a shot at the B12 anyway, but the Bulls can kiss that goodbye, in all likelihood ... academic fraud investigation of their already weak basketball program:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/baske...e-time/2286223

Comment

• I hope we are accepted into the B12 & that they add 4 teams. This will give us some teams closer to us like UCF, Memphis, UConn &/or Temple or ECU. If its' BYU, that's a great place to visit with a direct flight from
        Delta weekly from CVG. I don't even want to think what would happen if UC didn't get invited!

Comment

• If they are worried about "watering down" the league, just look at the BIG with Maryland and Rutgers. We could step in today and be the best 6 or 7 team in the league and would only get better with recruiting from a power 5.

Comment

• Not going to lie...I just come for the latest Lobot updates!
            Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

• The twitter folks are saying the Big12 schools are all negotiating with each other to get enough votes for the schools they want... It takes 8 votes to get in and supposedly the only school that doesn't need help getting the 8 votes is UC... good news for us if true.

Comment

• http://keepingitheel.com/2016/07/24/...re-dame-uconn/
                Do you think that the ACC may try to get to 16 before the Big12 moves to 14? UC is not listed in the article but do you think that UL and Pitt would lobby for UC?

Comment

• The truth is they should probably drop bc and pickup uc and uconn while they can. Even the folks in Boston has argued to drop back that program. Geography and rivalry wise we fit great, but given they have a tv network set up, our biggest booster may be companies locally buying tv time. We'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                    http://keepingitheel.com/2016/07/24/...re-dame-uconn/
                    Do you think that the ACC may try to get to 16 before the Big12 moves to 14? UC is not listed in the article but do you think that UL and Pitt would lobby for UC?
                    The ACC isn't expanding without ND joining full time and I don't see that happening. ND has an incredible schedule when you look at the Independent and affiliated schedule they put together. If they joined the ACC full time, they would need to drop games, and they'd have tough choices as to who to drop between some pretty time programs. Even their "cupcake games" this year are Nevada and Army. Would the money be there to take a full portion of the ACC Network versus their NBC contract?

Sorta related: does ND get a partial cut of the ACC Network because they play 5 conference games per year?
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Best case scenario from my standpoint would be for the ACC to pull a pre-emptive strike and add UC and UCONN. If the end game is a power four with 16 teams each, they should grab the two best remaining teams to deal with the future from a position of strength. The ACC is a much better fit for us and a more stable league.
                      ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

• Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post
                        Best case scenario from my standpoint would be for the ACC to pull a pre-emptive strike and add UC and UCONN. If the end game is a power four with 16 teams each, they should grab the two best remaining teams to deal with the future from a position of strength. The ACC is a much better fit for us and a more stable league.
                        The ACC only needs 1 team if ND goes full time. If ND stays part time, then ACC doesn't expand. They won't do anything to disrupt their relationship with ND and their stability means they can afford to wait until Big 12 breaks up to act. The Big 12 may survive. It may not.

Comment

• You guys are right about the stability of the ACC vs the Big 12, but they no longer need to expand and even if they did, UC is not even on their radar. UConn would be their next choice. Our best hope to make the Big Boy division is the Big 12 and then hold on for dear life in a few years when things reorganize.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                            You guys are right about the stability of the ACC vs the Big 12, but they no longer need to expand and even if they did, UC is not even on their radar. UConn would be their next choice. Our best hope to make the Big Boy division is the Big 12 and then hold on for dear life in a few years when things reorganize.
                            The ACC is a good fit for UC, but I'm not sure the ACC wants to go our direction either. I'd think ECU is ahead of UC where the ACC is concerned, though their top two targets would be UF and UConn.

Regarding the Big 12, has anyone heard anything from anyone associated with UC? Interim President, outgoing Prez, AD, Associate AD, an intern on the volleyball team...anything??

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                              Regarding the Big 12, has anyone heard anything from anyone associated with UC? Interim President, outgoing Prez, AD, Associate AD, an intern on the volleyball team...anything??
                              Publicly no, and for good reason I think, The work has already been done. We have to give the formal presentation and that's about it at this point. The administrators have been putting work in for years on this so I'm not sure publicly tweeting about it like ECU did yesterday is worth anything at this point. Especially since Boren pretty much said they didn't need anymore input a while back.

Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                                You guys are right about the stability of the ACC vs the Big 12, but they no longer need to expand and even if they did, UC is not even on their radar. UConn would be their next choice. Our best hope to make the Big Boy division is the Big 12 and then hold on for dear life in a few years when things reorganize.
                                Yep agree. The ACC threw a big ole curve ball at the college football establishment with their announcement last week. It was a shot not only at the Big 12 but at Jim Delaney and the B1G. All of the talk about Texas trying to pry FSU & Clemson out of the ACC, and Jim Delaney having designs on ACC schools like UNC just went up in smoke. Not gonna happen......at least not for another generation. Which means that we have to find a way to get ourselves into the Big 12. And I have zero confidence with Texas driving the bus that the Big 12 will "do the right thing" in regards to this expansion. I could see Texas shutting the whole expansion process down if they don't get their way (i.e add Houston).

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X