No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not worried about what Gov. Abbott thinks. He has a BAD tendency to shoot his mouth off on Twitter prematurely.

Fluguar says we have the 8 votes and that OU is not surprised at all by the Texas Pro-Houston contingent. If the Big 12 goes with 14 then Houston gets in but not before then. I have no issue with Houston but the idea that the Texas Gov is telling the Pres how to vote is a non issue for UC IMO. No one else is going to vote them in.
    Last edited by Lobot; 07-21-2016, 06:23 PM.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• So for those in the know, how does the 27 month notice within the AAC affect the 2017 schedule? Can any of the AAC teams mentioned start Big 12 play in 2017? Actually with the 27 month rule, could they start in 2018? I did not realize that the AAC had such harsh terms. Will UC have to bite the total financial bullet by themselves with the Big 12 auctioning off for the low bidder?

Comment

• Regarding 27 month notice and buyout, I'd wonder if that applies if as many as three or four teams exit? That would essentially disband the AAC in current composition.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
          Regarding 27 month notice and buyout, I'd wonder if that applies if as many as three or four teams exit? That would essentially disband the AAC in current composition.
          As much as I want to be in the Big 12, I personally would hate to see the AAC disband. I remember what happened to the Big East, and I will always blame ESPN for that. But I fear that if one or more teams leave the AAC it will hurt reputation of the league far more than is deserved. To look at it historically, losing Pitt and Syracuse would have hurt Big East basketball some, but the league was so strong it could have survived fine without them as they added very little football value, certainly less than the replacements that entered the league. What their departure did was sully the reputation of the BE far more than their actual absence would have, and before long WVU, UConn, Loserville and others were looking to get out even as our Dr. Williams was doing everything in his power to try to hold the league together. At that point the BE name was worthless for football, so the league sold the name to the bottom half of the old league who realized that the BE name still carried some weight as a basketball reference.

I will always believe that what Pitt and Syracuse did was not honorable, and I can't blame the others who got out after that, but I do believe the league could have survived very well with just filling their places. If UC leaves the AAC now it is not the same situation, we tried like **** to save the old league and the TV networks have declared that there is a Power 5 and everybody is scrambling to be on the right side. Pitt and Syracuse left an automatic qualifier when there was a power 6, and they snuck out in the middle of the night. If UC leaves for the Big 12 we can do so with our heads held high.

Comment

• Because it's fun and something to do....vote in fan poll for who is best candidate. You can select up to four, but it will take just one selection.

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll760129x8F2b81f2-31
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              So for those in the know, how does the 27 month notice within the AAC affect the 2017 schedule? Can any of the AAC teams mentioned start Big 12 play in 2017? Actually with the 27 month rule, could they start in 2018? I did not realize that the AAC had such harsh terms. Will UC have to bite the total financial bullet by themselves with the Big 12 auctioning off for the low bidder?
              Seems to me that those terms do not hold. Everyone who wanted out of their conferences was able to negotiate an earlier release and a reduced penalty amount. I don't see why UC would be any different.
              Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

As much as I want to be in the Big 12, I personally would hate to see the AAC disband. I remember what happened to the Big East, and I will always blame ESPN for that. But I fear that if one or more teams leave the AAC it will hurt reputation of the league far more than is deserved. To look at it historically, losing Pitt and Syracuse would have hurt Big East basketball some, but the league was so strong it could have survived fine without them as they added very little football value, certainly less than the replacements that entered the league. What their departure did was sully the reputation of the BE far more than their actual absence would have, and before long WVU, UConn, Loserville and others were looking to get out even as our Dr. Williams was doing everything in his power to try to hold the league together. At that point the BE name was worthless for football, so the league sold the name to the bottom half of the old league who realized that the BE name still carried some weight as a basketball reference.

I will always believe that what Pitt and Syracuse did was not honorable, and I can't blame the others who got out after that, but I do believe the league could have survived very well with just filling their places. If UC leaves the AAC now it is not the same situation, we tried like **** to save the old league and the TV networks have declared that there is a Power 5 and everybody is scrambling to be on the right side. Pitt and Syracuse left an automatic qualifier when there was a power 6, and they snuck out in the middle of the night. If UC leaves for the Big 12 we can do so with our heads held high.
                Agree with you on the Big East, but I think the AAC was always doomed to disband eventually. Even when it formed, several teams including UC were clear that if a Power 5 conference came calling they were gone. If anyone at the American thought it was otherwise, then they had their head in the sand. Hopefully, they can replace those who are leaving. From what I've seen, seems to me that it could be anywhere from 1 to 3 teams leaving depending on whether the B12 adds 2 or 4. I think it will be BYU (football only) and Cincy if 2 and then Memphis/UConn and Houston if 4. No inside information, just aggregating everything I have read to date.
                Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

• The local sports talk show in Charlotte just said "their sources" (here we go again) said Big 12 expansion is pretty well set at 4 (BYU, Memphis because of FedEx $$$, UC and one of the Florida teams) unless they get bowled over by one of the new suitors (maybe UConn). E Carolina is making a big push which is why it came up. The Big 12 has really prostituted themselves to all comers to see who can help sweeten the pot the most. Sad way to run a railroad. The Big 12 footprint needs to add the Florida and Ohio markets to leverage their future TV rights. UConn makes sense to be considered for the same reasons except for the fact its so remote to the rest of the conference. The ACC failed in their attempt to grab that market with Boston College.

Comment

• Regarding the Longhorns' sudden support for Houston, I wouldn't be surprised if the Texas brass look at the Cougars as another voting "partner" in the future. Texas essentially would own Houston. UH would be just another small landowner owing allegiance to the king.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                      The local sports talk show in Charlotte just said "their sources" (here we go again) said Big 12 expansion is pretty well set at 4 (BYU, Memphis because of FedEx $$$, UC and one of the Florida teams) unless they get bowled over by one of the new suitors (maybe UConn). E Carolina is making a big push which is why it came up. The Big 12 has really prostituted themselves to all comers to see who can help sweeten the pot the most. Sad way to run a railroad. The Big 12 footprint needs to add the Florida and Ohio markets to leverage their future TV rights. UConn makes sense to be considered for the same reasons except for the fact its so remote to the rest of the conference. The ACC failed in their attempt to grab that market with Boston College.
                      I read an article in the Hartford Courant that laid out the pluses and minuses of a UConn bid for the B12. Some people up there think they can talk Bowlsby and Company to accept them for football only, allowing the Huskies to move their basketball teams back to the Big East. In a nutshell, there ain't no way on the face of this planet that the B12 would sign off on that. The only reasons they'd want UConn in the first place are the possible TV revenues and the two basketball teams. It certainly wouldn't be that mediocre pigskin program.

All of the current non-P5 schools are tripping over each other, waving madly, screaming "ME, ME, ME!" There was even an article that I didn't read, from the Fresno Bee with a headline mentioning the the Bulldogs are interested. No joke. I'm sure they'd get Gordon Gee's vote. He'd love to have his teams flying into Middle-of-Nowhere, California, considering that the 'Neers reside in Middle-of-Nowhere, West Virginia, three time zones away.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                        The local sports talk show in Charlotte just said "their sources" (here we go again) said Big 12 expansion is pretty well set at 4 (BYU, Memphis because of FedEx $$$, UC and one of the Florida teams) unless they get bowled over by one of the new suitors (maybe UConn). E Carolina is making a big push which is why it came up. The Big 12 has really prostituted themselves to all comers to see who can help sweeten the pot the most. Sad way to run a railroad. The Big 12 footprint needs to add the Florida and Ohio markets to leverage their future TV rights. UConn makes sense to be considered for the same reasons except for the fact its so remote to the rest of the conference. The ACC failed in their attempt to grab that market with Boston College.
                        I would bet on four teams added. The Big 12 won't leave any money on the table unless some sort of deal is made with the networks.

Comment

• A lot of scenarios...a lot of schools interested...a lot of noise in cyberland

If the decision is to add four schools, I like UC's odds. Most potential scenarios you can read about seem to agree.

The curveball would be if Colorado wants back in. While this might seem far-fetched, I want to say one of the articles I read mentioned that currently they weren't really making all that much more money currently than, say, Houston is.

The lure of bigger payouts will attract a lot of interest

Comment

• Speaking of Gordon Gee, I recall when this board was chock full of blasts in his direction when the bowtied prez was at tO$U. Now, we see him as an ally. At both locations, the interests of his employer have determined his actions. Time (with a reversal of circumstances) heals all wounds.

Comment

• Good point. Bottom line is you represent whoever is paying you and only occasionally does that also represent your personal feelings. o$u would do anything to suppress UC and now WVU needs us, with him as the point man in both cases. Kinda ironic. Wonder what he personally thinks or if he really even cares. Regardless of his affiliation he has always struck me as a real knucklehead.

Comment

• I never really disliked Gee until he bashed Catholics. Needless to say, I dislike ND and I bash Catholics but at least I am one. Getting back to the topic, there are articles everywhere stating everything. Almost all of them have UC in as the 2nd choice. So, if the go to 4, I feel good. Politics do not make me feel easy about being number 2 in a 2 school selection.

To answer my earlier question about early exit fees.... http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ce-realignment
                                Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM. Reason: Added link about exit fees.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X