No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The TV people are pissed off about this.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...Big-12-TV.aspx
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      The TV people are pissed off about this.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...Big-12-TV.aspx

Yep saw that. That's not good news.

Comment

• I think what this breaks down to is FOX and ESPN signed a bad contract years ago and the BIG 12 is calling them on it after the ACC network fiasco. FOX and ESPN are bound by contract to pay up but it appears they would like to go to the negotiating table on this, which they're not entitled to do.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think what this breaks down to is FOX and ESPN signed a bad contract years ago and the BIG 12 is calling them on it after the ACC network fiasco. FOX and ESPN are bound by contract to pay up but it appears they would like to go to the negotiating table on this, which they're not entitled to do.

OK, but does that give the Big12 pause on their expansion decision? If the pro-rata financial payout is in question, you think the Big12 would reconsider their expansion plans?

Comment

• Holy cow! So ESPN & Fox states that UC & others will water down the conference! Really, Could this kill expansion? My goodness I hope not. Any info that states expansion will not be shelved would be welcome.

Comment

• Maybe the other 8 schools will hold together considering that "Oklahoma and Texas are the league's only national football brands." http://espn.go.com/college-football/...vation-unclear

Comment

• I've always felt ESPN has had it in for us for some reason, probably because of O$U. I know Herbstreit hates us, he has said a lot of things to that regard on the air. I also know ESPN was the masterminds behind the Big East crumbling.

Comment

I think what this breaks down to is FOX and ESPN signed a bad contract years ago and the BIG 12 is calling them on it after the ACC network fiasco. FOX and ESPN are bound by contract to pay up but it appears they would like to go to the negotiating table on this, which they're not entitled to do.
                  This is made with not yet confirmed information that UC is signed with Big 12 invite in Irving this weekend:

That's a lot of money and with no inside information, I think this is a final push to move towards a linear Big 12 Network. I further think that the Big 12 will have to force the Networks into action by offering an invite to at least two schools now (one being University of Cincinnati per the chatter and the other being BYU). Once there is a formal invitation, then the Big 12 will be able to play upon that to get a conference Network with some concessions toward keeping the LHN as the franchising/recruiting tool that it is. The path toward getting all of this is extending the GOR which is excellent for all schools not named Texas or Oklahoma and still good for those two.

It could mean that expansion to 14 doesn't happen and they wait out the PAC-12 or add teams after the two new schools grow to become high quality teams.

In this scenario, the Big 12 adds two more teams in 2018 to go to 14 if the Networks don't concede to the conference network goal. Those teams would be Houston and one other. If the Networks cave, then Houston is added later possibly with some PAC-12 teams to go to 16.

This scenario is attempting to explain the logic behind the many factors governing expansion while also keeping alive the notion that the Big 12 survives conference contraction to the Super Four. Note the Super Four is neither Marvel or D.C. nor will it be NCAA

And the roller coaster keeps twisting and turning! How are your stomachs doing this morning?
                  Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 08-01-2016, 11:09 AM.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Three Legged Lou‏@LOU_theDog 24h24 hours ago The UC contract is signed. It's official #Big12Expansion

Comment

• 3 legged Lou? That's definitely gold, He's a good friend of Bevis and Butthead. You can take that to the bank. I get a kick out of this network chatter regarding watering down the league and all of this. I would be willing to bet BYU and Cincy have won as many games the past 10 years as some of the other schools that left the b12 over the same period. Colorado, Mizzou, Nebraska have not exactly set the world on fire. That's not to mention the conference deal was signed when they had more teams. It's not like they are going into new territory here. Espn has no one to blame but themselves for that deal they gave Texas. Own it and do not blame others. EOS

Comment

• I won't believe anything until I see an official announcement. But I have to say that what I'm seeing this morning doesn't seem to add up anymore than some of the other speculation I've been seeing on a daily basis. Are we now supposed to believe that the Big 12, after all this time working with outside consultants on the value of each team, and the incredible amount of research done, would make an expansion announcement without any consultation with the TV networks in advance? If so it is in reality poorly managed. Would the TV networks damage the reputation of the Big 12 by stepping in now and stopping the expansion? That is entirely possible but it badly damages a brand that they are committed to for the next eight years, and make no mistake the Big 12 would be badly damaged in such a scenario. Are the networks upset that they will be paying full shares for teams that will not be getting those shares and seeing the money go to teams they already have under contract? I would imagine that the networks are saying that if the new teams get reduced shares at the start that is all they should have to pay, thus saving them money and keeping the existing teams whole as far as the original contract terms are concerned, the money grab issue for the existing teams may be a sticking point. So I believe there are negotiations going on that will result in some modified working of the existing contract, reducing the amount that the networks will have to pony up, at least at the start, while allowing the Big 12 to expand, increase their chance of making the playoff, and save face.

On a related note, I would suspect that ESPN is probably more against this than Fox, since they already have the possible expansion teams signed up for far less money. Additionally I believe the AAC TV contract stipulates a "group A" of UC, UCONN, Houston, and Temple and would terminate if any of those four plus any other school in the league leaves, which would be a bad blow for the AAC. Interestingly, the contract language recognizes that UC, UConn etc are worth more than the other G5 members, but ESPN also seems to be arguing that they would dilute the Big 12. Anyway I'll believe we're in when I see the official announcement and not before, but with ESPN historic antagonism toward UC I'm not rushing out to buy any Big 12 gear right now.

One more thing, I'm getting really tired of all this.
                        Last edited by longtimefan; 08-01-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• This is a ploy by the networks(espn in large part) to keep the big 12 from going past 12 teams. I think the networks are stuck unless they find the big 12 will take added dollars to not expand or limit it to 12. However, you really get into some broader legal issues hre, not even considering what has been done to date, if in fact some teams like UC or Byu have been brought on board contractually by the big 12. You could conceivably get into some anti trust issues on this one if all **** breaks loose. It's going to be an interesting month, but if i had to bet, big 12 will go to 12 and stop.

Comment

• Dodds Just now:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...g-their-fists/
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Anybody know if the "The Dude of WV" is ever accurate on anything? He is convinced that because of ESPN/Fox issues that its going to be BYU and UH, they will get a network come 2020ish in exchange for only adding 2 teams. The fact that it could be UH is frustrating because they are getting in almost solely based on politics... doesn't really address any of their needs... Solid proven athletics (ehh, debatable, not proven)... Academics (no), recruiting (no, they already have Houston market adding UN won't change SECs influence there), new market (that's a big fat nope), bridge to WVU (another big fat nope)... so UH brings one thing to the big12, and that is to make UT happy so they can build a college in Houston.. sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by 98bearcat View Post
                                Anybody know if the "The Dude of WV" is ever accurate on anything? He is convinced that because of ESPN/Fox issues that its going to be BYU and UH, they will get a network come 2020ish in exchange for only adding 2 teams. The fact that it could be UH is frustrating because they are getting in almost solely based on politics... doesn't really address any of their needs... Solid proven athletics (ehh, debatable, not proven)... Academics (no), recruiting (no, they already have Houston market adding UN won't change SECs influence there), new market (that's a big fat nope), bridge to WVU (another big fat nope)... so UH brings one thing to the big12, and that is to make UT happy so they can build a college in Houston.. sigh.
                                The Dude is anti-UC for reasons unknown

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X