Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coach View Post
    You got to relax dude. This is nothing more than a play to limit the amount of teams leaving the aac to keep it's low cost contract in place for the network while allowing the big 12 to go to a workable number(12 or 14). Espn does not want to pay a big number of schools(say 3) what they pay for big 12 schools. I don't think they have a choice though, and fortunately it looks like we may be the one school from what i've heard that is/has gotten out. Think positive,.
    I'm trying to relax. I really am. But if we get hosed again by some network (esp ESPN), I think I'm gonna take a trip to Bristol, Connecticut and flip a booger on one of their executives.
    Last edited by blackattack; 08-01-2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      University and AD folks at UC have been told not to comment.
      Do you think this means they know one way or another how this will go for UC?

Secrets don't last long, let's hope the announcement comes soon, one way or the other...
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
        UC has proven that within a couple of years in a power conference (Big East) that they can climb to the top. I have seen articles about how UC has a losing record against teams like WVU and Pitt but in the last couple of years in the Big East, UC won those games. I hear how UL is so good and a deserving member of a P5 group but they are the same as UC. I am tired of hearing that if a name of an University is the name of a City, then they are undeserving of a P5 group. But how about Pitt, UL, Miami, Syracuse, Boston, etc. It only seems to apply if the name is Cincinnati. I hear that Texas has the brand name but they have been irrelevant for years. I also say that with a P5 affiliation, UC could be competing for the Big 12 championship within 4 years. We have a better recruiting area than any school in the Big 12 not located in Texas.

Most of the other competing schools for inclusion into the Big 12 have been commenting as well as their local papers. UC has been silent as well as the enquirer. I would expect the enquirer to be silent because, well they are typically silent with regards to positive UC news. I see the silence as a good thing.
        You have the right perspective. I've actually felt that over the past week or so while this process has gotten heated we've fared well compared to the other schools. We've really not been mentioned as a dilution directly while other schools have, and i've seen quite a few comments that we have the votes and support to get in. Where this all stands likely only a handful knows, but i know we've done what we can based on where we seem to be at, and obviously we've shown interest early and often which is about all you can do. If espn and the others want Uc to continue to provide good content for them(which we have in the past in bball and fball), then they need to support us as well. I noticed Kasich's letter was 7/12 so it's 3 weeks old. If he had sent it today i would be more concerned given the other reports of where this process is, but that date seems to fit with the rest of the timeline.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post

You have the right perspective. I've actually felt that over the past week or so while this process has gotten heated we've fared well compared to the other schools. We've really not been mentioned as a dilution directly while other schools have, and i've seen quite a few comments that we have the votes and support to get in. Where this all stands likely only a handful knows, but i know we've done what we can based on where we seem to be at, and obviously we've shown interest early and often which is about all you can do. If espn and the others want Uc to continue to provide good content for them(which we have in the past in bball and fball), then they need to support us as well. I noticed Kasich's letter was 7/12 so it's 3 weeks old. If he had sent it today i would be more concerned given the other reports of where this process is, but that date seems to fit with the rest of the timeline.
          Good, valid points. I just want in!
          Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

• I did a little research on just how we did as we entered a BCS conference for the first time. Below are the results for Big East games against all the teams we played that are currently in a P5 or like us candidates to join one. The list below includes our years in the Big East which was a BCS conference from 2005-2012. You can see that in almost every case we struggled in the early years but came on to win league championships so for the last 4-5 years we were the best team in the league. So we may be able to assume that UC is stronger now then when they joined the Big East in 2005 and with the added boost from the Big 12 they could once again rise through the league ranks. I hope so. UC went 42-30 in the games listed below. Notice all the early blowout losses to teams UC would beat later.

Against the teams listed below our record by year was

2005 3-6
            2006 4-4
            2007 5-3
            2008 6-3
            2009 9-1
            2010 2-7 (Butch Jones 1st year disaster)
            2011 7-3
            2012 6-2

Breakdown by Team

UCONN 6-2
            2005 Connecticut 28 17 Win
            2006 Connecticut 26 23 Win
            2007 Connecticut 27 3 Win
            2008 Connecticut 16 40 Loss
            2009 Connecticut 47 45 Win
            2010 Connecticut 17 38 Loss
            2011 Connecticut 35 27 Win
            2012 Connecticut 34 17 Win

Louisville 4-4
            2005 Louisville 22 46 Loss
            2006 Louisville 17 24 Loss
            2007 Louisville 24 28 Loss
            2008 Louisville 28 20 Win
            2009 Louisville 41 10 Win
            2010 Louisville 35 27 Win
            2011 Louisville 25 16 Win
            2012 Louisville 31 34 Loss (OT)

Pittsburgh 4-4
            2005 Pittsburgh 20 38 Loss
            2006 Pittsburgh 15 33 Loss
            2007 Pittsburgh 17 24 Loss
            2008 Pittsburgh 28 21 Win
            2009 Pittsburgh 45 44 Win
            2010 Pittsburgh 10 28 Loss
            2011 Pittsburgh 26 23 Win
            2012 Pittsburgh 34 10 Win

Rutgers 5-3
            2005 Rutgers 9 44 Loss
            2006 Rutgers 30 11 Win
            2007 Rutgers 28 23 Win
            2008 Rutgers 13 10 Win
            2009 Rutgers 47 15 Win
            2010 Rutgers 69 38 Win
            2011 Rutgers 3 20 Loss
            2012 Rutgers 3 10 Loss

USF 6-2
            2005 South Florida 16 31 Loss
            2006 South Florida 23 6 Win
            2007 South Florida 38 33 Win
            2008 South Florida 24 10 Win
            2009 South Florida 34 17 Win
            2010 South Florida 30 38 Loss
            2011 South Florida 37 34 Win
            2012 South Florida 27 10 Win

Syracuse 7-1
            2005 Syracuse 22 16 Win
            2006 Syracuse 17 3 Win
            2007 Syracuse 52 31 Win
            2008 Syracuse 30 10 Win
            2009 Syracuse 28 7 Win
            2010 Syracuse 7 31 Loss
            2011 Syracuse 30 13 Win
            2012 Syracuse 35 24 Win

WVU 2-5
            2005 West Virginia 0 38 Loss
            2006 West Virginia 24 42 Loss
            2007 West Virginia 23 28 Loss
            2008 West Virginia 26 23 Win
            2009 West Virginia 24 21 Win
            2010 West Virginia 10 37 Loss
            2011 West Virginia 21 24 Loss

Other P5 7-9
            2005 Penn State 24 42 Loss
            2006 Ohio State 7 37 Loss
            2006 Virginia Tech 13 29 Loss
            2007 Oregon State 34 3 Win
            2008 Oklahoma 26 52 Loss
            2008 Virginia Tech 7 20 Loss
            2009 Florida 24 51 Loss
            2009 Illinois 49 36 Win
            2009 Oregon State 28 18 Win
            2010 NC State 19 30 Loss
            2010 Oklahoma 29 31 Loss
            2011 NC State 44 14 Win
            2011 Tennessee 23 45 Loss
            2011 Vanderbilt 31 24 Win
            2012 Duke 48 34 Win
            2012 Virginia Tech 27 24 Win

Comment

• Thanks for the Big East results! It's hard to pick a favorite but I'm quite fond of 2009 Pittsburgh 45 44 Win.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Do you think this means they know one way or another how this will go for UC?

Secrets don't last long, let's hope the announcement comes soon, one way or the other...
                I would say they know and aren't allowed to say a thing. I think it's a positive thing and that we're trying to not to preempt the official announcement. But yes leaks are appearing. Even if everyone knows beforehand you aren't going to hear the Admin say anything until after the Big 12 has their presser.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I would say they know and aren't allowed to say a thing. I think it's a positive thing and that we're trying to not to preempt the official announcement. But yes leaks are appearing. Even if everyone knows beforehand you aren't going to hear the Admin say anything until after the Big 12 has their presser.
                  After AAC media days, any ideas on announcement timing? Could the announcements be one school at a time to give each the spotlight for a time?

Comment

After AAC media days, any ideas on announcement timing? Could the announcements be one school at a time to give each the spotlight for a time?
                    Could be later this week after AAC. Our folks have already flown home from Newport RI. I doubt the Big 12 lets it go too long. Doing it one school at a time would be interesting but I feel sorry for the last school on the list regardless of how long it is. Might even be us. I'm thinking they're going to try and time it as close to the beginning of the season as possible to get the maximum distance on the announcement from the talking heads.

Speaking of which, it looks like FOX is going to back down on the TV contract issue. I'm guessing ESPN will not even though they're bound by their own previous decisions. I'm guessing you won't hear the expansion discussed by the ESPN announcers nearly as much. ESPN had their bluff called and I'm guessing that business unit at Disney is going to have to chop some more heads to pay for the Big 12 contract now unless they manage to take it to court and tie up the money for a while. Disney's probably pissed at all these bad long term contracts ESPN signed now that the cable subscription model is crashing.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Not sure if FOX ever had to backdown, as there was an article earlier today stating that FOX has always been a proponent of BIG12 expanding and that only ESPN was balking because they would have to pay more to rights they already have (G5s) but FOX wants the added access that they currently have to pay ESPN to get access to.. Expansion is a win for FOX no matter who gets added, so long as they are from the East.
                      Article: http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/9221-fo...-g5-teams.html

Comment

• 2h2 hours ago
                        Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire
                        No backpedal
                        No stand down
                        Transparent
                        Ruthless consistency
                        Contacts sitting on correct perch in Norman

A quickening..

No later Aug 14

Could be two more weeks of He!!

Comment

2h2 hours ago
                          Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire
                          No backpedal
                          No stand down
                          Transparent
                          Ruthless consistency
                          Contacts sitting on correct perch in Norman

A quickening..

No later Aug 14

Could be two more weeks of He!!
                          What does that mean? It will be announced by the 14th?
                          Last edited by CroninCrazy; 08-02-2016, 09:29 PM.
                          Former KMart Ball Boy

Comment

• Originally posted by CroninCrazy View Post

What does that mean? It was be announced by the 14th?
                            I read the tweet to mean announcement by the 14th. Greg seems to have pretty decent info. It could be tomorrow or next day, but no later than the 14th which seems so far away

Comment

• Random vent about TCU and Utah being only non P5 schools to move up with the big boys. Does this mean moving from Big East to ACC or B!G didn't count? Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, L'ville all joined from the Big East. If you go back further PSU joined from independent like BYU is considering.

We joined BEast with others who moved on and some who are with us in AAC. Houston was in SWC. I won't consider UC, UH, or BYU as graduating to the big leagues, all three plus UConn are big league teams.

Comment

• I read that tweet the same way. I think it might be before the 14th. UConn's also in quiet mode by the way.

Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X