Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Athletic says the Big 12 is looking at UC, UCF, BYU and Houston ($)

https://theathletic.com/news/big-12-...s/5CZvjXPK0mL1
    My only question is how reliable are the author's sources? My comment to the article:

"I'd be more excited by this article if you could partially identify the "sources". Forgive me for having expansion fatigue, but as a fan of the program most likely to be added in 2016, I am awaiting an invitation or a public statement from the Big 12. If your source for this article is a Big 12 AD or University President that is a good sign, better if a member of the Big 12 expansion committee. I know you cannot name the source so info keeps coming, but please give us some indication of how reliable is this source."
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

My only question is how reliable are the author's sources? My comment to the article:

"I'd be more excited by this article if you could partially identify the "sources". Forgive me for having expansion fatigue, but as a fan of the program most likely to be added in 2016, I am awaiting an invitation or a public statement from the Big 12. If your source for this article is a Big 12 AD or University President that is a good sign, better if a member of the Big 12 expansion committee. I know you cannot name the source so info keeps coming, but please give us some indication of how reliable is this source."
      I think the sources are good because Chuck Carlton at the Dallas Morning News just confirmed all of it.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Here is a free article that references the Athletic. Report: Big 12 Expansion Could 'Move Faster Than Initially Anticipated' (msn.com) It says the same thing.

Comment

• ESPN reporting the same https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ources-confirm

As the Big 12 continues to consider expansion, four leading candidates have emerged in BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, sources confirmed to ESPN, as formal invitations could be extended to these schools during the college football season.

A four-person subcommittee featuring two athletic directors and two university presidents from the Big 12 began meeting last week to discuss potential expansion. The conference requires eight of its current 10 members to approve candidate schools for expansion to occur. The Big 12 will have only eight members when Texas and Oklahoma depart for the SEC.

BYU, an FBS independent, is generating the most discussion as an expansion candidate, sources said, while American Athletic Conference powers UCF and Cincinnati also have been on the Big 12's radar. While Houston has been a long-debated expansion candidate in the Texas-centric league, support has recently increased to add the school.

The Big 12 considered all four of these schools and others in 2016 when it explored expansion but ended up remaining at 10 members.

UCF, Cincinnati and Houston would need to give the American 27 months' notice and each pay an exit fee of $10 million to join another conference. In 2019, the American allowed UConn to leave the league earlier but pay a larger exit fee of $17 million.

All of BYU's sports teams except football compete in the West Coast Conference. The school's football team played in the Mountain West from 1999 to 2010 before becoming an FBS independent.

The Athletic first reported on the four schools generating the most attention as potential additions to the Big 12.

Comment

• Chad Brendel (filling in for Mo Egger this afternoon) interviewed The Athletic's Max Olson https://twitter.com/BearcatJournal/s...43720062930944

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
              ESPN reporting the same https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ources-confirm

As the Big 12 continues to consider expansion, four leading candidates have emerged in BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston, sources confirmed to ESPN, as formal invitations could be extended to these schools during the college football season.

A four-person subcommittee featuring two athletic directors and two university presidents from the Big 12 began meeting last week to discuss potential expansion. The conference requires eight of its current 10 members to approve candidate schools for expansion to occur. The Big 12 will have only eight members when Texas and Oklahoma depart for the SEC.

BYU, an FBS independent, is generating the most discussion as an expansion candidate, sources said, while American Athletic Conference powers UCF and Cincinnati also have been on the Big 12's radar. While Houston has been a long-debated expansion candidate in the Texas-centric league, support has recently increased to add the school.

The Big 12 considered all four of these schools and others in 2016 when it explored expansion but ended up remaining at 10 members.

UCF, Cincinnati and Houston would need to give the American 27 months' notice and each pay an exit fee of $10 million to join another conference. In 2019, the American allowed UConn to leave the league earlier but pay a larger exit fee of $17 million.

All of BYU's sports teams except football compete in the West Coast Conference. The school's football team played in the Mountain West from 1999 to 2010 before becoming an FBS independent.

The Athletic first reported on the four schools generating the most attention as potential additions to the Big 12.

How much of this expansion do believe that ESPN is actually driving?
              Questions for everyone:
              1- Will ESPN pay OK and TX exit fees to get them to the SEC next year?
              2- Is ESPN behind the remaining 8 expansion efforts AND told them which schools to add?
              3- Will ESPN pay the exit fees for UC UCF, Houston (or any other AAC school) to get them into the Big 12 and keep that conference relevant?
              4- Will TX and OK use this expansion as a way out of paying their GOR ($80M)?
              5- Is this a ploy by ESPN to prevent TX and OK from paying their exit fees?
              6- Will this be better for what ever AAC team is invited or is it best to stay put and wait to add the remaining 8 to the AAC?

Comment

• Could the news breaking actually accelerate the process?
                https://twitter.com/frankthetank111/...223986688?s=19

Comment

• Well, this certainly is not flattering: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...DHP&li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

• Here is what I would like to see. I would like for the UC President and AD to approach the ACC and say, "It is now or never. We want to be here. We make a good fit all the way around. We won't dilute your basketball chops and will seriously upgrade your football standing. Our academics are world class. Invite us and we will accept easily and without stress. Miss your opportunity and you lose out. You have a week."

Comment

• Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                      Here is what I would like to see. I would like for the UC President and AD to approach the ACC and say, "It is now or never. We want to be here. We make a good fit all the way around. We won't dilute your basketball chops and will seriously upgrade your football standing. Our academics are world class. Invite us and we will accept easily and without stress. Miss your opportunity and you lose out. You have a week."
                      I hope that has already happened. It’s a better geographic fit. If the ACC has been keeping UC on the practice squad, maybe they act now to keep another league from getting us. UC keeps the details quiet for the most part, but they have certainly been active.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
                        Well, this certainly is not flattering: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...DHP&li=BBnb7Kz
                        I can't respect a article that thinks Arkansas would want to leave the SEC, a more stable conference with probably three times the payout eventually, for the Big 12. Even Louisville wouldn't do it. If you were in Louisville's spot and could pick between the ACC and Big 12 which one would you pick?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
                          Well, this certainly is not flattering: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...DHP&li=BBnb7Kz
                          Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Comment

• Originally posted by UC4me View Post
                            Here is what I would like to see. I would like for the UC President and AD to approach the ACC and say, "It is now or never. We want to be here. We make a good fit all the way around. We won't dilute your basketball chops and will seriously upgrade your football standing. Our academics are world class. Invite us and we will accept easily and without stress. Miss your opportunity and you lose out. You have a week."
                            Is that basketball talking or money? The ACC only makes sense to reunite some BEAST rivals and play Duke in BB. ACC football isn't that great. Couple good at top and fair in middle. With multiple Kansas type bottom feeders. SEC and Big 10 make more sense than ACC, and neither will happen.

Comment

• The Atheltic updated it's article late last night to include that Bowlsby has visited or is visiting Houston to check them out for membership.
                              Last edited by Lobot; 09-03-2021, 10:05 AM.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Bretty McMurphy seems to think that BYU, UC, UCF and Houston are the four schools for sure and that the bids might go out as soon as this coming week.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/...ite-this-month

Couple of points made in the article. The AAC has a 27 month notice window and a $10M exit fee. So if we do get a bid, contractually we couldn't jump ship on the AAC until July 2024 at the beginnning of the fiscal year. if the clock started next week.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X