No announcement yet.

USC and UCLA to leave the PAC 12

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is blowing up everywhere but there can't be any truth to it. Simply doesn't make any sense at all. Why would someone willingly leave the P2... if it was Vanderbilt or Northwestern it would make slightly more sense because they may be hearing rumors of getting the boot

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
      Outside of the fact that they can’t compete and never will?
      My thoughts exactly. How exactly do you recruit to a team that plays outdoors in subzero weather?
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
        Outside of the fact that they can’t compete and never will? Maybe there are rumblings that the B$G will shed some of the lower end teams to add Oregon/Washington? It makes no sense financially, but maybe they think they can compete for championships in the Big 12?
        I have wondered this about the SEC and B1G about getting rid of the basement teams to make room for more marque teams. There are least 3 teams in the SEC that could fall into that category as well as 4 teams from the B1G. When TV markets no longer matter, I can see where teams get booted. This will not be in a year or two but by the time the next TV deals 5 years out or so, it may start. I am not sure if current conference names even hold.

Comment

• An interesting read about expansion and why the B1G has stopped expansion. Why the Big 12 may be in a good seat. Again, I do not think that we will hear anything for a few months if not longer. Conference realignment: Big Ten interest in additional Pac-12 teams has cooled, Big 12 positioned well (msn.com)

Comment

• Is Seattle a lucrative TV market? Is Eugene? It still makes
            sense (if it’s mostly about TV markets) that Stanford & maybe Cal join the B10. ND appears to be fine staying independent.

I’m not particularly excited about any other adds for B12 other than Utah, if in fact Oregon & Washington stay in a reconstituted PAC-12 or go to B10 eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
              Is Seattle a lucrative TV market? Is Eugene? It still makes
              sense (if it’s mostly about TV markets) that Stanford & maybe Cal join the B10. ND appears to be fine staying independent.

I’m not particularly excited about any other adds for B12 other than Utah, if in fact Oregon & Washington stay in a reconstituted PAC-12 or go to B10 eventually.
              IS Utah your third choice behind Oergon and Washington? I am not a fan of adding the so called four corners schools because ASU, AZ, and CU and not much different than Oregon St or Washington St on the field and their big market cities are not directly tied to either school. I doubt Phoenix and Denver add more tv sets or streaming fans than at least 5 other Pac10 schools.

Here's the wishlist I've seen used most if the Big Ten doesn't expand further:
              1. Oregon
              2. Washington
              3. Stanford
              4. Cal
              5. Utah
              6. CU
              7. ASU
              8. AZ
              Oregon St and Wash St tie for 9/10
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Expansion isn't about bball, but bringing in AZ would make the Big12 hands down the best basketball conference... That's why I don't mind them coming even though the football is a dumpster fire. I sort of agree with your list but would put Utah over Stanford and Cal... I think those 2 are too snooty to come to the Big12 anyway

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                  Expansion isn't about bball, but bringing in AZ would make the Big12 hands down the best basketball conference... That's why I don't mind them coming even though the football is a dumpster fire. I sort of agree with your list but would put Utah over Stanford and Cal... I think those 2 are too snooty to come to the Big12 anyway
                  Does snooty = national reputation in academics? I think that's the only thing that separates them from the rest of the pack in the list above.

I will say I agree with Oregon St and Wazzu being last. Corvallis and Pullman are pretty small places.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Yes, I mean I would welcome them in but based on football I would rather have Utah. I think they would turn their noses up about joining the Big12 though and almost think they'd go independent or try to join the ACC

Comment

• Utah would be #1 on any of my lists. But that may be because I spent the first 13 years of my life living there.

Comment

• An interesting read especially the last two paragraphs. College football preview: How the sport’s direction hangs in the balance - Sports Illustrated

Comment

• I’d like Utah for their balance in football and basketball-certainly a strong top 20 football program recently. Stanford and Cal just don’t seem a) like a fit and b) don’t have the balance of either sport right now. I also try to think realistically-neither of those schools will go to the B12. Utah helps regionalize B12 a little bit, too. I have zero interest in the four corners schools.

Comment

• I see Stanford and Cal being left by themselves because of their attitude towards everyone else (except maybe the B1G) and neither have students that support their primary sports. Washington State and Oregon State will end up in the Mountain West (and wonder what ever happened). It is interesting to consider how memoires forget. Once there was a Big 6 and the Big East football was part of it. Those BE schools that landed early are considered Big 5 status which includes WVU, UL, Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers. None have competed better than UC which is still considered a group of 5 and just a body added to the Big 12 even though UC won the Big East when all teams were still there with back to back big boy bowl games. I see the PAC dying slowly like the Big East did a decade ago. The PAC will experience one member leaving, then another and then the rest just scratching their heads. If I recall, Virginia Tech, Boston College and Miami were all once part of the Big East.

Comment

• In this scenario, both the PAC and Big 12 die and the ACC becomes the third power conference. Will the Big Ten expansion unravel an expanding Big 12 conference? | WVU Mountaineers | timeswv.com

Comment

• Interesting article-not sure how everyone gets untangled (UC, WVU, UCF) with buyouts and do regional or backyard brawls (as much as I love them) matter much anymore?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X