X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richard k.
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I think I had missed that CBS will get a Big 10 game to replace the SEC on Saturdays at 3:30. I knew Fox and NBC were big players replacing ESPN. One thing missing is the summary of the Big12 deal says the new four schools bring the conference to 14 teams, but no clarification that they will be at 12 teams when the new contract begins.

It has all along been clear networks want to consolodate top viewed teams into fewer conferences; however, I am still confused why networks pay for Vandy, Rutgers, Northwestern and other perrenial losers. There are only so many teams that add value, so it is inevitable that we see contraction in the form of one or more conference dissolving or becoming irrelevant. The next major domino just might be teams like Oh St, Bama, and other big dogs in those top conferences realizing they can get 25-50% more per yer by ejecting the bottom feeders. When contraction comes in the form of members being forced out or left behind, then we will have reached the point the NFL reached in the 30's-40's ejecting cities like Canton, etcetera... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...gue_franchises
    The Ohio St., 'Bama. Georgia, Michigan, etc., still have to have someone to beat - 12 games of OSU vs Michigan split 6/6 not something either school has any interest in - if for no other reason then it eventually leads to loss of eyeballs on screens.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    Yes, this article talks about Apple + TV is getting into the PAC discussion but I liked the summary of media deals for the other 4 conferences at the end..
    Apple TV+ Is Looking Into Streaming More Live Sports - Forbes (inferse.com)
    I think I had missed that CBS will get a Big 10 game to replace the SEC on Saturdays at 3:30. I knew Fox and NBC were big players replacing ESPN. One thing missing is the summary of the Big12 deal says the new four schools bring the conference to 14 teams, but no clarification that they will be at 12 teams when the new contract begins.

It has all along been clear networks want to consolodate top viewed teams into fewer conferences; however, I am still confused why networks pay for Vandy, Rutgers, Northwestern and other perrenial losers. There are only so many teams that add value, so it is inevitable that we see contraction in the form of one or more conference dissolving or becoming irrelevant. The next major domino just might be teams like Oh St, Bama, and other big dogs in those top conferences realizing they can get 25-50% more per yer by ejecting the bottom feeders. When contraction comes in the form of members being forced out or left behind, then we will have reached the point the NFL reached in the 30's-40's ejecting cities like Canton, etcetera... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...gue_franchises

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Is there anything to be read into the Colorado's AD walking out on Kliavkoff's comments on the media rights deal?
    Colorado athletic director abruptly leaves Pac-12 media day after George Kliavkoff presser (yahoo.com)

Then there is Oregon against expansion (does this sound like USC blocking the addition of Big 12 teams a couple of years ago?) Two Pac-12 programs currently not on board with conference expansion - Sports Illustrated All Cardinal News, Analysis and More
    Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-22-2023, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Yes, this article talks about Apple + TV is getting into the PAC discussion but I liked the summary of media deals for the other 4 conferences at the end..
    Apple TV+ Is Looking Into Streaming More Live Sports - Forbes (inferse.com)

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Pete Thamel: The Colonial Atheltic Association is set to change its name to the Coastal Atheltic Association.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    The Buff's Chancellor believes that the PAC will become the third richest power 5 conference with their new media rights deal. Cough-cough. CU chancellor Phil DiStefano: Buffs’ goal is to remain member of Pac-12, expects media rights update Thursday (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Thamel:

Can confirm that the Mountain West has informed San Diego State that they are member in good standing, as Yahoo Sports reported. This includes a release of the $6.6 million dollars that has been withheld from San Diego State, per ESPN source, after SDSU's muddled notice of their intent to withdraw. SDSU will be charged a small fee for the Mountain West’s legal services.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    The PAC will not announce a Media Rights deal this week because new players are at the table. The past players included Fox, ESPN, CBS, Amazon, ION, CW, etc. Who could the new players be? Maybe Facebook?
    Sources: Pac-12 will not announce new TV deal at media day this week (msn.com)
    Source - Pac-12 media rights deal expected in 'near future' - ESPN
    Pac-12 won’t announce new media deal this week with more bidders engaged: Source (msn.com)
    Pac-12 will not announce media rights deal this week as talks progress with new bidders reportedly involved - CBSSports.com

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    There are several articles floating around today about how the Big 12 and SEC should pair up for annual matchups. This would help the Big 12 cement itself as the number 3 conference, increase exposure, and provide some good games. Why the SEC and Big 12 can have thriving college football rivalry (yahoo.com)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    This writer notes what is going to happen in 2023, what will happen in 2024 and predictions on future. Some of it is said jokingly and then there are things that he thinks will happen that I just do not agree with. I will let you make up your own mind. College Football Expansion Predictions, Conference Realignment, Who's Where In 2023, What's Coming Next? (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Oh, the MW Board of Directors meet on Monday to determine SDSU's future. In or out? SDSU to learn its Mountain West fate at Monday's board meeting (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    A power 5 conference signed a TV deal with the CW. A conference got a TV deal from the CW … and it’s not the Pac-12 (yahoo.com)

PAC - "The wait will be worth it" Pac-12 source: delay in media rights deal ‘will be worth the wait’ (yahoo.com)
    Last edited by bearcatbret; 07-14-2023, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Mandel at the Athletic on why we can't quit realignment talk. ($)

https://theathletic.com/4662794/2023...e-realignment/

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    Just curious, did Texas and Oklahoma announce their planned move to the SEC the first day of football media day 2 years ago? Could Colorado and Arizona pull the same stunt next week at the PAC football medai days?
    The Houston Chronicle broke the story on July 21st and by July 30th it was official. The Big 12 media days in 2021 were a week earlier on July 14th and 15th. Nice speculation, and I believe when the Pac10 media value is announced it will be lower than expected and GK is doing it on purpose during media days to try using hype of the event to soften the blow. The next few days should be quite interesting. I have to believe GK has told the schools already because it would be a PR nightmare should any school balk at the numbers and berate the conference during their hype event.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Just curious, did Texas and Oklahoma announce their planned move to the SEC the first day of football media day 2 years ago? Could Colorado and Arizona pull the same stunt next week at the PAC football medai days?

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X