X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Thamel also reported that the PAC school brass were presented with a "framework" of a potential deal, but it's far from settled. It appears likely that this will drag on for a few more weeks at least. The "framework" supposedly involves some "linear concepts", whatever that means.

As far as SDSU are concerned, if I were in charge of the MWC, I'd welcome the Aztecs back ... with a school-specific addendum to the grant-of-rights, specifying that they have to stick around for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Thamel reporting that SDSU is remaining in the MWC and has withdrawn its resignation (can they do that?)

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    The latest about SDSU's predicament:
    San Diego State's murky exit from Mountain West leaves Aztecs in limbo as Pac-12 awaits TV deal (msn.com)
    Bryce Miller: Aztecs find themselves wedged between Mountain West and 'not your father's' Pac-12 (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• D.A.H.
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

No, they would give the one-year notice next year and join the following year. It only doubles if the give notice after June 30, 2023, to leave NEXT year.
    yeah. but, sdsu still looks like a bunch of idiots - they should fit right in, in the new PAC

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    A problem that SDSU faces is that the MWC have already accepted the Aztecs' departure and kicked their prez from the conference board of directors. That acceptance also led to the MWC announcing that they will keep SDSU's earned distribution.

If the MWC allow the Aztecs to return (cap in-hand), the terms probably would need to be negotiated.

It doesn't appear that George Kliavkoff will be able to produce a final media deal today, which is the reason why SDSU wrote their bungled departure letter in the first place. They wanted a 30-day extension, so it's possible that Kliavkoff let them know he expected a resolution sometime in July.

For now, SDSU are in limbo.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

The exit fee doubles if they do that. I dunno......
    No, they would give the one-year notice next year and join the following year. It only doubles if the give notice after June 30, 2023, to leave NEXT year.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied

I suspect that they will have to give notice prior to July 1, 2024 and join in 2025. Aztecs in a new era, Part 3: SDSU would be wise to let deadline pass while eyeing a more certain future (msn.com)
    The exit fee doubles if they do that. I dunno......

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    So what's the latest with SDSU??? 😂. Almost expected to hear about a PAC contract by now so they didn't screw over their future member but guess not
    I suspect that they will have to give notice prior to July 1, 2024 and join in 2025. Aztecs in a new era, Part 3: SDSU would be wise to let deadline pass while eyeing a more certain future (msn.com)

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca2099
    replied
    So what's the latest with SDSU??? 😂. Almost expected to hear about a PAC contract by now so they didn't screw over their future member but guess not

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    I don’t know this guy well but his name pops up occasionally. He’s a media consultant and appears to be credible.

https://twitter.com/jwmediadc/status...Vejy7i9nQSL1ug
    Of all of the tweets and suggested tweets Jim Williams is about as sound/reasonable as they come. While he follows ASU Sun Devils, he is not a Pac10 homer like Canzano and Wilner, nor is he posting theories like the looney tunes Greg Swaim. He tends to post facts, let readers postulate/conjecture, and responds intelligently to mst comments. I follow him because he is actually a USF grad and seems to be doing an unbiased job reporting. As to the content, I cannot blame a 4 corners resource for wanting to know if they will get same amount of linear tv coverage as the newly "promoted" schools. However, those same resources have to take into account that the networks decide which matchups get linear coverage, not just X amount of coverage for a particular school. A Colorado will get more linear coverage than Arizona simply based on where the program is today with Coach Prime. Lastly, that resource will need to factor in the total increase in tv/media revenue they could get in the Big 12 versus Pac 10, not just we get 1 more linear tv game than lowly Houston. I happen to believe that the dollar amounts will be quite different when the total Pac10 numbers are revealed, not just linear tv coverage.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    I don’t know this guy well but his name pops up occasionally. He’s a media consultant and appears to be credible.

https://twitter.com/jwmediadc/status...Vejy7i9nQSL1ug

Leave a comment:

• Bearcats1232002
    replied
    The AAC turns 10 years old. The American Athletic Conference turns 10 (sportsbusinessjournal.com) Only four founding members remain: Memphis, SMU, South Florida and Temple.
    Just for poops and giggles I was looking at Conference USA and saw that only UAB and Charlotte remain from when we were there. I believe UNC Charlotte even left for a spell and went to the A10 and then returned.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

This is the best comment I’ve seen in a long time. Haha. Well played!
    ... Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• bearcat1518
    replied
    Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
    I'm sure that Temple have scouted around for a P5 slot. Unfortunately for the Owls, they're in the same situation that I am. I'm 73 and have no shot at dating Taylor Swift.
    This is the best comment I’ve seen in a long time. Haha. Well played!

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    I'm sure that Temple have scouted around for a P5 slot. Unfortunately for the Owls, they're in the same situation that I am. I'm 73 and have no shot at dating Taylor Swift.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X