Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, here's one I didn't expect. Fresno St.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...ansion-report/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      Ok, here's one I didn't expect. Fresno St.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...ansion-report/
      I have read that the Big 12 wants southern California but this may be a ploy to force the PACs hand with San Diego State and others. Maybe the Big 12 wants to make the PAC think that they are going to pick up what little is left with inventory. I sure hope that the Big 12 waits to pluck better teams from the PAC vs. Fresno St.

Just found this that makes the argument for Fresno. The latest on Fresno State and Big 12 expansion prospects | The Fresno Bee
      Last edited by bearcatbret; 02-18-2023, 12:41 PM.

Comment

If the Big12 is serious about this they are jumping the gun quite a bit. They need to slow down and wait for the PAC to implode. Not to knock on Fresno St because they have had some tough teams in the past but why not go after SDSU instead... Seems like a big reach... if they take them on and then the PAC still implodes then you are stuck with Fresno when you don't want them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
          If the Big12 is serious about this they are jumping the gun quite a bit. They need to slow down and wait for the PAC to implode. Not to knock on Fresno St because they have had some tough teams in the past but why not go after SDSU instead... Seems like a big reach... if they take them on and then the PAC still implodes then you are stuck with Fresno when you don't want them anymore.
          I think if you want to have the PAC completely implode then you go after their targets of expansion. You go after both Fresno St and SDSU and then see what happens with the rest of the PAC from there. If I'm those two schools, I'd much rather hear from the BIg 12 where we have a working TV contract than whatever the PAC is going to end up with. Yormark can box in the PAC if he goes either this route or grabs any of the existing schools.

I think the box-in began with courting Gonzaga for basketball. It's about getting to them before the PAC does.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

This is a pretty good article that evaluates Gonzaga's value to the PAC. It concludes that Gonzaga does not bring enough value to cover Gonzaga's expected pay plus some other issues. I believe that this could be said the same for the Big 12. The only financial fit would be the Big East and geography will stop that flat in the tracks. Should Pac-12 consider Gonzaga for expansion — and would UW and WSU approve? | The Seattle Times I do not think that Gonzaga will go anywhere.

Comment

tosu buckeyes back out of Washington series. Washington not happy and it makes their future look weak. Commentary: Why Ohio State’s cancellation of UW series is a bad sign for Pac-12 | The Spokesman-Review

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                tosu buckeyes back out of Washington series. Washington not happy and it makes their future look weak. Commentary: Why Ohio State’s cancellation of UW series is a bad sign for Pac-12 | The Spokesman-Review
                They probably want to play another MAC or FCS team!

Comment

I had to laugh that the author called it a weasel move by tosu. I have to agree with why would tosu want another coastal trip. I wonder if this means that the B1G 10 will add one more conference game to their schedules.

Comment

I think a lot of the chatter we are seeing about Gonzaga, Fresno St, even mention of the "Four Corners" schools is just part of the Big 12/Pac 12 chess match. I think every time a new rumor like these drops, another Pac 12 school calls the Big 12 to see where they stand. You can put out statements of unity all you want, but each school does not want to be left behind or surpassed by who they deem a lesser school down the street who is in the dirt sheets. I doubt that the the various Pac 12 schools, already mentioned or not, are going to let Fresno St go to a conference that by all accounts are more stable than the Pac 12 without some sort of discussion with the Big 12 themselves.

Comment

There really is nothing new here except a third of the conversation is about the ACC. It appears that half of the ACC wants to jump ship but it all returns to their GOR. College football realignment -- Latest chatter Pac-12 beyond (espn.co.uk)

Comment

This is downright funny for ESPN. This article is behind the ESPN+ paywall. In a nutshell the fix is in with ESPN and FOX. They're going to kill the PAC 12 and divvy up the pieces beween the Big 12 and the Big 10. The article doesn't staright out say that but that's the obvious agenda. The PAC 12 schools are placing the blame for this mess squarely on Larry Scott, the previous commish. ($)

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-pac-12-beyond
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          This is downright funny for ESPN. This article is behind the ESPN+ paywall. In a nutshell the fix is in with ESPN and FOX. They're going to kill the PAC 12 and divvy up the pieces beween the Big 12 and the Big 10. The article doesn't staright out say that but that's the obvious agenda. The PAC 12 schools are placing the blame for this mess squarely on Larry Scott, the previous commish. ($)

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-pac-12-beyond
                          This is very interesting, as it appears ESPN and Fox are willing to pay for certain athletic teams, but not all as a collective. The networks would love to see a minimum of 2 more schools to the Big Ten (Oregon and Washington) and 4-6 to the Big XII. I'm only going to speak on Big XII numbers. Somewhere in all this chatter we've had the Big XII say and I'm paraphrasing if the XII adds existing p5 schools the ESPN money will stay the same.(Not Fox $$, fox will budge tho) So lets say the Big XII adds 6 at 31 million each. That is 186 million a lot less than the 200-250 they would give the pac, and huge amount difference in what the Pac is asking for. This will allow the networks to have exactly which schools they want, and leftovers sorry about your luck. I'm thinking the Pac schools know their fate, and this will happen after the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Of course ESPN and Fox are behind all of this. It comes down to whether they want to save Cal, Stanford, Wash St, and Oregon St. I think that it is interesting that they keep stating as a fact that Oregon and Washington are on their way to the Big 10. The only way that happens is if they pay for it to happen. Last year, the Big 10 presidents said a loud no to those two schools.

Comment

Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post

This is very interesting, as it appears ESPN and Fox are willing to pay for certain athletic teams, but not all as a collective. The networks would love to see a minimum of 2 more schools to the Big Ten (Oregon and Washington) and 4-6 to the Big XII. I'm only going to speak on Big XII numbers. Somewhere in all this chatter we've had the Big XII say and I'm paraphrasing if the XII adds existing p5 schools the ESPN money will stay the same.(Not Fox $$, fox will budge tho) So lets say the Big XII adds 6 at 31 million each. That is 186 million a lot less than the 200-250 they would give the pac, and huge amount difference in what the Pac is asking for. This will allow the networks to have exactly which schools they want, and leftovers sorry about your luck. I'm thinking the Pac schools know their fate, and this will happen after the NCAA tournament.
                              If this is true, I’m against it, That’s a lot of travel costs for other sports without increasing the payout. There goes the $$$ to pay coaches and travel to see recruits. Not happy here. But then again, not the first time we would be screwed over by ESPN.

Comment

Originally posted by bba_1979 View Post

If this is true, I’m against it, That’s a lot of travel costs for other sports without increasing the payout. There goes the $$$ to pay coaches and travel to see recruits. Not happy here. But then again, not the first time we would be screwed over by ESPN.
                                No matter how many teams are in conference, we have same number of games. None of the Pac12 schools are harder to travel to than TCU. If networks drive Pac10 to dissolve, then that means the networks aren't working to dissolve Big 12. If there are going to be 4 superconferences, then bully for the Big 12 to be one of them. However; one thing I believe is the Big 10 is done going west. They are waiting for the ACC, which ESPN is protecting because they're cheap good content
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X