Peach Bowl 1/1 12:00 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

I agree about running the ball, but that had nothing to do with running a play with 15 seconds on the play clock. The game clock was not moving on time outs
    This is correct. The only clock management issue was not running the ball on 4th down which would have eaten up more time if we didn't make it or iced the game if we did. Having said that, a good pass on that play and we would have scored. Game was lost because Dez had a scared and horrible second half and for some reason they wouldn't run him. Our running game all year was predicated on Dez getting good read option yards and Doaks pounding. We had neither. Hudson's stupid play cost them the game. Metz had 4 penalties and gave up 4 sacks and was the biggest factor in the tale of two halfs. It was a real opportunity lost but it did validate that we could play with a team of this caliber talent wise so all is not lost.

Comment

When I heard Doakes was out, I thought for sure we’d see more called runs for Ridder. On that 3rd and 2, I’d certainly think that would be the call and we’d have a 90% chance he converts. Mind boggling, honestly. Hudson clearly altered the game, another simply inexplicable decision-your team makes a great first down play and you do that? All I could think about was Burfict from the Bungholes. These types of opportunities, program statement games, don’t come around all that often. We had this game and beat ourselves.

Comment

I was at the game, and honestly i'm not sure the coaches are not protecting their qb there with the post game comments. I guess it's always the qb's decision with the ball, but i really wonder if the play was not to hit the tight end screen if it was there and if not tuck it in and run it even if you can't get there to get the clock moving. Chucking that ball downfield on 3rd and 2 and stopping the clock made no sense at all. I just wonder if the qb didn't go to that on his own. Woulda, coulda shoulda.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
          I was at the game, and honestly i'm not sure the coaches are not protecting their qb there with the post game comments. I guess it's always the qb's decision with the ball, but i really wonder if the play was not to hit the tight end screen if it was there and if not tuck it in and run it even if you can't get there to get the clock moving. Chucking that ball downfield on 3rd and 2 and stopping the clock made no sense at all. I just wonder if the qb didn't go to that on his own. Woulda, coulda shoulda.
          Ridder, as good a runner as he is, is at best an average throwing QB, who has a history of making poor decisions. We shall never know if he improvised that play, which cost us the game. Still, 9-1. I remember lots of 2-9 seasons, playing horrible teams. Let's regroup for next year.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I'm more settled now and upon reflection I agree with Coach Fickell when he says we aren't quite there yet. We lost our starting center, starting running back and starting left tackle. We are just not quite strong enough to overcome that. Perhaps one or two more recruiting cycles and we will get there. As far as the 3rd down throw, how many times this year has Ridder completed that pass and looked like a hero. Oh well. We lost the game by not having any offense in the second half. Metz might have done a bit better by run blocking - it is so much easier than pass blocking. More running plays would have helped settle everyone down, especially the RPO that was so successful for us this year. Short quick passes to the tight ends and slot also would have been better choices than what we saw. On to next year.

Comment

It was a great year and I am happy for these kids and what they accomplished. And thank you Coach Fickell.

Comment

As much as I was disappointed at the loss yesterday, I still think we're in really good shape with lots more good to come. **** of a job by Coach Fickell and his staff. Congratulations on a great year, and I can't wait to get started again next season.

Comment

I do think Fickell and staff are doing an outstanding job with the program. I am a little disappointed in some of the coaching decisions in yesterday’s game. I think if UC had won that game, it would have paid big dividends in recruiting. It still may pay those dividends, but a win would have been much easier to sell to recruits. All in all, a terrific season for which we can be proud of the team and for which we can congratulate them. Go’Cats!!

Comment

I believe the 2021 schedule includes roadies at IU and ND. Lots to look forward to right there! I am a bit worried about RB, though. Ford, to me, hasn’t shown enough ability to create runs other than straight north runs through decent holes.

Comment

On the Ridder pass, I'm assuming the play call was an rpo with the intent to run but Ridder saw the receiver wide open and decided to pass. Unfortunately an underthrown ball along with a great recovery by the defensive back ends up with us losing the game. Quite a few plays that easily could have made a difference in the game including the blocked field goal. Can't make stupid mistakes and penalties like we did and still beat one of the best teams in the nation.

Comment

Just in case anyone wants to go back and watch the media stuff for the Peach Bowl, they've uploaded all interview videos and transcripts including some B-roll stuff to thePeach Bowl site.

https://chick-fil-apeachbowl.com/spo...downloads.aspx
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by MI Bearcat View Post
                          On the Ridder pass, I'm assuming the play call was an rpo with the intent to run but Ridder saw the receiver wide open and decided to pass. Unfortunately an underthrown ball along with a great recovery by the defensive back ends up with us losing the game. Quite a few plays that easily could have made a difference in the game including the blocked field goal. Can't make stupid mistakes and penalties like we did and still beat one of the best teams in the nation.
                          In the postgame comments, Tony Pike said that Ridder was looking for Whyle off an RPO, but a defender jumped the route and Ridder saw Young open, but underthrew it.

Comment

CBS Sports rated the 2021 Peach Bowl the second best bowl game!

2. Peach Bowl

No. 9 Georgia 24, No. 8 Cincinnati 21: Oh man, there were so many narratives flying at me on Twitter during this game. I couldn't keep track of whether Georgia cared and didn't want to be there or this game proved that the College Football Playoff Selection Committee was dumber than a box of rocks for not putting Cincinnati in the field. Remember when you could just watch bowl games and enjoy them?

Cincinnati declared that it was here to play early, taking a 7-0 lead late in the first quarter. Georgia quickly responded with a touchdown of its own, and after both defenses took turns issuing body blows, the Bulldogs took their first lead late in the second quarter. A lead that lasted just under four minutes before Desmond Ridder found Josh White for an 11-yard touchdown with six seconds left in the half. The Bearcats then opened the second half with a 79-yard touchdown run from Jerome Ford to make it 21-10.

We quickly learned that Georgia didn't want to be there again! Until the fourth quarter when it did. The Bulldogs battled their way back in the final frame, taking a 22-21 lead thanks to a booming 53-yard field goal from Jack Podlesny with three seconds left. Then, just in case the game hadn't been fun enough, we even got a safety on the final play. In the end, it turned out both Georgia and Cincinnati not only wanted to be there but deserved to be. Crazy! Pregame ranking: 4

Comment

Yesterday on WLW, former Bengal Tim McGee was discussing the Peach Bowl. He stated that he felt that awful play of passing on 3rd and 2, was the "worst play call in the history of UC Football." Still, he said that we need to look at the season as a whole, and how good UC FB has gotten under CLF.

B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                                Yesterday on WLW, former Bengal Tim McGee was discussing the Peach Bowl. He stated that he felt that awful play of passing on 3rd and 2, was the "worst play call in the history of UC Football." Still, he said that we need to look at the season as a whole, and how good UC FB has gotten under CLF.

B.C.
                                McGee didn't see Tim Murphy call yet another draw play on 3rd and long while he was tearing it up at ND.
                                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X