No announcement yet.

NIL Things - All Sports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was in an AP article I read this morning - Wichita State fired AD Darron Boatright on Wednesday because of criticism over the university's inability to compete in the new market of NIL.

This quote was interesting - "Where we erred was focusing on educating our athletes about NIL and not just collecting cash and paying kids to come to Wichita State," Boatright said in a previous interview. "We were told all along this was not pay-for-play, but now it appears the NCAA has no problems with that, so why not?"

Wichita State fires its athletic director Boatright | AP News

Comment

This is not going to end well for anyone....

Comment

There are rumblings about the NCAA putting down guidelines concerning the NIL. There are rumblings by some big players (ND) that the NCAA is obsolete in this new era. I don't need to go out on a limb to see who wins this battle.

Comment

There will be lawsuits.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Or stupidity : https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...new-guidelines
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It is hard to take something away after one already has it. I would say it is harder with the big monied folks used to buying whatever they want.

Comment

This is a good aspect of NIL. The foundation at tOSU is giving 6k to the student athletes who meet the required academic standards they have set. Yes that should be done due to the scholarship and perhaps this is a ruse to give out more money, but it sounds good. Another thing, how is the NCAA going to crack down on the abuses when the leader of the NCAA is weak and liked his position of prestige and his salary.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                  This is a good aspect of NIL. The foundation at tOSU is giving 6k to the student athletes who meet the required academic standards they have set. Yes that should be done due to the scholarship and perhaps this is a ruse to give out more money, but it sounds good. Another thing, how is the NCAA going to crack down on the abuses when the leader of the NCAA is weak and liked his position of prestige and his salary.
                  What leader of the NCAA? He's a lame duck at this point.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think any action taken to set boundaries will have to come from the Federal government, and that thought frightens me because I don't think our "leaders" could pour water out of a boot with the directions on the heel.

But, who else can fix it? The NCAA can't because, among many reasons, they're afraid of an eventual breakaway by "power" schools.

States could legislate a correction, but then there would be 50 different sets of rules. And some states are very happy with the current state of affairs; other states could end up hamstringing their state's colleges.

What we need is a 21st century Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I was reading something from Darren Heitner, a sports lawyer from Florida ($) yesterday that said that the NCAA is going to crackdown on booster collectives and set rules for NIL and then deal with the legal fallout later. School punishments are coming supposedly.

I kind of agree with this tactic. They've got to rein it in at least a little.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Would we be agreeing with the supposed regulations ( remains to be seen) in fairness for all or because UC is not a player. So far all I have seen is talk and as we are finding out once again, it is money which talks. Is all this used for a breakaway by the money schools. Sports is a big time business and amusement.

Comment

There's a rumor floating that Texas' NIL Collective has offered one of our players a 3M deal to leave UC and transfer. Doesn't name the player. Stuff like this where the player is not in the portal and straight up tampering is going on needs to get kicked to the curb immediately.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Would we be agreeing with the supposed regulations ( remains to be seen) in fairness for all or because UC is not a player. So far all I have seen is talk and as we are finding out once again, it is money which talks. Is all this used for a breakaway by the money schools. Sports is a big time business and amusement.
                            I'm agreeing because it will ruin the sport if we don't get some guardrails in place quickly. You've got guys out there with bigger NIL deals than the NFL rookie salary at their position.

I have not personally addressed any of this with AD/UCATS but I'm guessing there's two type of schools out there. Those that when all in immediately on NIL and big money collectives, ex: Texas, LSU, tOSU, A&M, and those that knew the hammer was eventually coming and chose not to get on the wrong side of it. I'm seeing things about program level punishments coming as soon as next week from the NCAA. I know everyone including myself was wondering where the UC collective was but the fact that's it's not out there in public and we've relied on traditional UCATS fundraising to this point might have been a really prescient choice. Looks like we'll find out soon.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Will ESPN, Fox Sports, Amazon etc. welcome a super league of schools leaving the NCAA? There are more players involved than schools. Regardless of if you are in the NCAA or not, the ratings of a Saturday Night super card will be a be quite an incentive for these networks. We are already paying for the right to see the games (Sunday Ticket, Cable, Streaming etc.). I can only imagine what a hard push back will do especially when the schools have already decided to pay the players. I am saying it is hard to go back. The restrictions may last for a short while, but I wonder what effect they will have in the long run. Even the lesser monied schools might side with the large NIL ones, due to money they get for showing up on Saturdays. This has been coming for years. I can see some moderation, but...... I will be honest. IF UC paid for the #1 ranked player in Basketball, I would be happy. I guess that is how winning has changed our culture. I would be happy if they got 3 out of the top 5 too and beat X by 35 every year. Would I like to see a return to the earlier days, yes, but recruiting has always been a little questionable. I try to be honest and fair, but I would like to see some championship banners newly hung. AS you said, we may find out something soon, but I doubt if we will see the end of the push by some regulating. People like something to celebrate in the locker room and at the alumni parties. It is a new culture or at least a more in the open culture.
                              Last edited by leo from jersey; 05-07-2022, 03:09 PM.

Comment

..... I will be honest. IF UC paid for the #1 ranked player in Basketball, I would be happy. I guess that is how winning has changed our culture. .....
                                Culture has always been this way, but now you've changed.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X