No announcement yet.

NIL Things - All Sports

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matr Brown in his ($) newsletter Extra Points makes the point that some of these NIL collectives are LLCs and some are 501c3. Those that are operating as a 501 might not be exempt in the end depending on how they spend their money. The article focus is on OSU.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/nil-co...hio-state-irs/
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Associated twitter thread for the above:

https://twitter.com/MattBrownEP/stat...30198686801924
      Last edited by Lobot; 04-26-2022, 03:53 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Associated twitter thread fot the above:

https://twitter.com/MattBrownEP/stat...30198686801924
        This whole NIL thing is turning into a major disaster - let's say if you're going to pay someone $50-100,000/year to play college sports that might be as much as they could make in a minor league scenario - to me that's not amateurs - that's professional - and at the very least they should be ineligible for college scholarships. I understand that the Alabama's of the world will just pay them more - but at some point there has to be some rationale for playing football/basketball with a college name on the jersey instead of the Green Bay Packers or NY Knicks. And I can't believe that the female college athletes won't be in court arguing that the men are being compensated while they are, for the most part, not, and that has to be a violation of some law or other.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

This whole NIL thing is turning into a major disaster - let's say if you're going to pay someone $50-100,000/year to play college sports that might be as much as they could make in a minor league scenario - to me that's not amateurs - that's professional - and at the very least they should be ineligible for college scholarships. I understand that the Alabama's of the world will just pay them more - but at some point there has to be some rationale for playing football/basketball with a college name on the jersey instead of the Green Bay Packers or NY Knicks. And I can't believe that the female college athletes won't be in court arguing that the men are being compensated while they are, for the most part, not, and that has to be a violation of some law or other.
          many schools are paying both. ADs often get large bonuses for championships.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post

I agree it’s a mess. Relatedly, if FBS football somehow breaks off into a semi pro league, it means that the NCAA Title IX competitive balance would probably not be an issue ever again. I’m all for and in support of women’s’ sports at the college level but the reality is some women’s teams at schools exist to balance the numbers of men’s football. With football, there is no other sport on any campus with such a large roster and support staff.

If football jumped ship into say a school affiliated LLC, a lot of the smaller non profitable sports would likely get cut on both sides of the gender fence just due to lack of funding. The NCAA status quo before NIL was legally untenable but NIL may end up making everything worse for everyone unless they clean it up soon.

Right now you’ve got booster collectives setting market values for players. That what broke up the old SWC and got SMU the death penalty.

Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

With the University of Penn of the world, women's sports may die anyway. So sad.

Comment

Here we go - a U of Miami basketball player is threating to enter the transfer portal if his NIL amount isn't increased. I guess he was happy until an incoming transfer received an NIL agreement that included $800,000 plus a car for the next two years.

I'm happy that the introduction of NIL compensation has fixed all that was wrong with college sports.

Link - NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased (espn.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Geaux Juan View Post
                  Here we go - a U of Miami basketball player is threating to enter the transfer portal if his NIL amount isn't increased. I guess he was happy until an incoming transfer received an NIL agreement that included $800,000 plus a car for the next two years.

I'm happy that the introduction of NIL compensation has fixed all that was wrong with college sports.

Link - NIL agent says Miami hoops star Isaiah Wong will enter transfer portal if NIL compensation isn't increased (espn.com)
                  This situation should get him declared ineligible in my book. He's represented by an agent in this and as far as I'm concerned that makes him a pro. I'd let him hit the portal and get blackballed. Very few programs want a guy who's jumping from program to program for money whether under the previous NCAA regulations or current. If I'm a coach I'd have to have questionable ethics to want this guy. (Watch X take him. Lol)
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Turns out it’s not just him and the agents are being slimy as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ted-nil-issue/
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

And just as UC is getting ready to play with the big boys. Anyone think we can match NIL payments? This "fix" goes too far.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

This situation should get him declared ineligible in my book. He's represented by an agent in this and as far as I'm concerned that makes him a pro. I'd let him hit the portal and get blackballed. Very few programs want a guy who's jumping from program to program for money whether under the previous NCAA regulations or current. If I'm a coach I'd have to have questionable ethics to want this guy. (Watch X take him. Lol)
                        There is now such a thing as an "NCAA-approved" agent now, so the agent thing won't make him ineligible since his agent is "NCAA-approved". It does seem slimy, but with the money that's flowing I guess there is some good in having some "adult" supervision.

I am waiting for when the taxman cometh; I hope these players are putting something aside for the IRS and are keeping good records. That is how they took down Al Capone.

Comment

There is now such a thing as an "NCAA-approved" agent now, so the agent thing won't make him ineligible since his agent is "NCAA-approved". It does seem slimy, but with the money that's flowing I guess there is some good in having some "adult" supervision.

I am waiting for when the taxman cometh; I hope these players are putting something aside for the IRS and are keeping good records. That is how they took down Al Capone.
                          One more thing; I have the same distain for this situation as I do the coaches' salaries. I laugh when I hear a coach complain about the NIL situation; I've yet to hear one of them give back any of their absurd salaries (save the poor Tulsa coaches, but I don't think that was voluntary).

So, a pox on both of their houses.

Comment

I hope that players are getting tax ramification advice from someone. If it’s not the agents then the school because this stands to get ugly quickly if the players don’t understand what’s up. I’d hate to see players (or the parents) get whomped with with an audit because no one was advising them.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don’t suppose anyone has a subscription to this ($)?

https://www.sportico.com/law/analysi...os-1234674386/
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

It is sad where this has gone in just a short time. I remember back in the 70's, I won a road race that was sponsored by a running store. The winner was supposed to win a pair of running shoes of their choice. I had to accept a certificate instead because I was a sophomore and by accepting a pair of shoes would have cancelled my amateur status. The store did not anticipate that a high school kid would win the race. Back then, it was probably $35 for a pair of shoes. Look how far this crazy thing has come since then.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X