Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former WVU interim coach Josh Eilert is joining the staff at Utah

Comment

• Olivia Ray from WLWT just reported on Twitter that Covington Catholic is targeting Jake Thelen to be their next head basketball coach. Thelen is a Cov Cath alum.

Seems like a backwards move to me but I don't know anything about his family situation/personal motivations so a high school job may be more attractive in some ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
        Olivia Ray from WLWT just reported on Twitter that Covington Catholic is targeting Jake Thelen to be their next head basketball coach. Thelen is a Cov Cath alum.

Seems like a backwards move to me but I don't know anything about his family situation/personal motivations so a high school job may be more attractive in some ways.
        Me neither but seems like it would fall into the personal category if he took the job. Jake was a All-American D-II player at Bellarmine after graduating HS.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Me neither but seems like it would fall into the personal category if he took the job. Jake was a All-American D-II player at Bellarmine after graduating HS.
          Thielen has been announced as the HC at Cov Cath. UC also is losing Matt Miller, the basketball Director of Operations, who handled the daily behind-the-scenes stuff (travel planning, etc.).

Thielen handled the big men, so CWM will target someone with that experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Thielen has been announced as the HC at Cov Cath. UC also is losing Matt Miller, the basketball Director of Operations, who handled the daily behind-the-scenes stuff (travel planning, etc.).

Thielen handled the big men, so CWM will target someone with that experience.
            Where is Matt Miller going?

Also, the season before last Thelen was the ops guy (before rules changed and allowed more bench coaches). So if he "handled the big men," it is not like he was a seasoned veteran assistant coach/big man guru or anything.
            Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-07-2024, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• This all sounds a bit like July 1 fiscal year contract turnover.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I am just guessing here so bear with me. Coaches are getting rich in the college and pro ranks. Also, the college sports world is being turned upside down as noted on several threads in the forum. If I were a coach (that had a good bank account), that wanted to slow things down and get out of the rat race, the high school scene is where I would go. I moved to Ohio Amish Country to work taking a much lower salary just to slow my life down. Of course, I only stayed 6 years because of personal ties to Cincinnati but I can see that type of thinking being applied in athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
                  Olivia Ray from WLWT just reported on Twitter that Covington Catholic is targeting Jake Thelen to be their next head basketball coach. Thelen is a Cov Cath alum.

This is now a done deal for Thelen. Good luck going forward for him.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Lots of fanbase noise to bring Dermarr home right now.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                      Hurley will stay at UConn.

I am happy about this -- I was not prepared for the domino effect of him leaving and this job opening in mid-June.

Comment

• It appears that this entire thing might have been leaked to Woj by Hurley's agent. Turns out he was in contract talks for an extension and raise at UConn during this entire process. Woj has written a book on Dan Sr.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Oh the injustice of it all, another imagined underpaid coach using an apparent promotion and substantial pay upgrade to leverage a sweeter deal with his PO resent employer.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X