2023-24 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    One spot short is in the schollies. Hensley entering the portal gives us a third open spot to fill rather than two ( JD / LN. Ideally in my mind I would like another "tweener" a tall guard / wing jmo. At 6"6 I had my hopes high on Simas L.
    I only listed 12 and we have one more to get to 13. Did I miss something?
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I only listed 12 and we have one more to get to 13. Did I miss something?
      No, that's where we are. 1 open scholly pending medical stuff for Newman.
      Last edited by Lobot; 04-25-2023, 12:20 PM.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Where things stand as of now (with my best guess of eligibility left, in parenthesis)

1. Rayvon Griffith (4 years)
        2. Jizzle James (4 years)
        3. Sage Tolentino (3 years left, but 4 if he gets a medical RS)
        4. Dan Skillings (3 years)
        5. Josh Reed (3 years)
        6. Viktor Lakhin (3 years, assuming he can get a COVID year for the season he was hurt)
        7. DaVeon Thomas (2 years)
        8. Jamille Reynolds (2 years)
        9. CJ Fredrick (2 years)
        10. Mika Adams-Woods (1 year/last year of eligibility)
        11. Ody Oguama (1 year/last year of eligibility)
        12. John Newman (1 year/last year of eligibility - if he gets medical RS)
        13. TBD???

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
          Where things stand as of now (with my best guess of eligibility left, in parenthesis)

5. Josh Reed (3 years)
          6. Viktor Lakhin (3 years, assuming he can get a COVID year for the season he was hurt)
          9. CJ Fredrick (2 years)
          13. TBD???
          NIce work. Nailed it.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

5. Josh Reed (3 years)
            9. CJ Fredrick (2 years)
            13. TBD???
            13: Flory Bidunga. Don't really care if we need a 6' 6-7" wing. If Flory reclassifies, you take hime. No heartbeats, no hesitation.

Comment

5. Josh Reed (3 years)
              9. CJ Fredrick (2 years)
              13. TBD???
              I am almost positive Lakhin only has 2 years remaining. The year he was hurt doesn't count (either medical RS or Covid, but can't be both). But he has played two years that do count. Everything else looks correct. I'd probably note that Reynolds needs a waiver to play next season and not have to sit a year.

Comment

Originally posted by zykarious View Post

I am almost positive Lakhin only has 2 years remaining. The year he was hurt doesn't count (either medical RS or Covid, but can't be both). But he has played two years that do count. Everything else looks correct. I'd probably note that Reynolds needs a waiver to play next season and not have to sit a year.
                You might be right, but I'm not so sure.

CJ Fredrick has already been in college five years (including two seasons missed due to injury) and he apparently has two years of eligibility. The point of the COVID year was to reward people who had to play through the crappy 2020-21 season with all the protocols and games canceled. I don't think that should preclude someone who was hurt from also getting a bonus season. So CJ Fredrick gets an extra year b/c he played in 2020-21 but Vik doesn't because he had surgery and was rehabbing?

Also, on a related note, Vik has been at UC for three seasons and apparently is graduating. So who is to say he even sticks around after next year? If at this time next year he will have been here four years, has an undergrad degree, and can't get NIL deals ... good chance he could try to play professionally. But let's save that for the future "2024-25 roster" thread.

Comment

You might be right, but I'm not so sure.
                  He is right.

You get an extra season for 20/21 and any medical redshirt season before or after 20/21 gives you another season as well.

There's no double dipping for 20/21.

CJ has 2 seasons left and so does Vik.

Simple as.

Comment

So if this was November, what would the starting lineup look like as of today ?

PG: James (DaVeon Thomas 1st off the Bench)
                    SG: Griffith (CJ Fredrick 1st off the Bench)
                    SG: Skillings (Reed 1st off the Bench)
                    PF: Reynolds ( Oguama 1st off the Bench)
                    C: Lakhin ( Tolentino 1st off the Bench)

The question heading into the Big 12, do you go with Experience or Potential Talent ? Personally I've enough seen of MAW in any starting role next year... I would use him off the bench at PG/SG when needed...

We still have one spot currently open, unless someone else decides to transfer ?
                    Last edited by BearKatz; 04-26-2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I think you go with Thomas starting as He's got two years experience above high school ( Juco) and CJ starting also, with James and Griffith alternating with them both . Skillings would start but you have Newman to spell him for defensive purposes and then Reed if his game has developed. And let's not forget about Simas if he signs. I 'm hoping we snag him. That's how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                        So if this was November, what would the starting lineup look like as of today ?

PG: James (DaVeon Thomas 1st off the Bench)
                        SG: Griffith (CJ Fredrick 1st off the Bench)
                        SG: Skillings (Reed 1st off the Bench)
                        PF: Reynolds ( Oguama 1st off the Bench)
                        C: Lakhin ( Tolentino 1st off the Bench)

The question heading into the Big 12, do you go with Experience or Potential Talent ? Personally I've enough of MAW in any starting role next year... I would use him off the bench at PG/SG when needed...

We still have one spot currently open, unless someone else decides to transfer ?
                        I don't see many scenarios where MAW is not your starting PG. I think Daveon will be most ready to push MAW, but not a fan of counting on freshmen to start when they haven't been in our practices yet. They will need to learn defense (or show they know it) and will work on conditioning/strength for the next level. Fredrick is your SG starter.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I don't see many scenarios where MAW is not your starting PG. I think Daveon will be most ready to push MAW, but not a fan of counting on freshmen to start when they haven't been in our practices yet. They will need to learn defense (or show they know it) and will work on conditioning/strength for the next level. Fredrick is your SG starter.

Well Brother, in this case I hope you're wrong.. If MAW is our starting PG going into the Big 12, we stand little to no chance of competing.. I have nothing against the young man, but he was Avg at best in the AAC..

Worst case scenario, MAW starts in Nov and by Mid Dec James or Thomas takes over.. I have a gut feeling James/Thomas will both be well ahead of the curve for starting rolls next season, same with Griffith. Skillings? what he showed at the end of last year, it's his starting job to lose..

Comment

Realistically, you aren't going 12/13 deep on a regular basis. It'll be interesting to see what CWM comes up with to balance getting freshman playing time, and keeping the vets happy. Who becomes the odd man/men out?

Comment

quote "I don't see many scenarios where MAW is not your starting PG. I think Daveon will be most ready to push MAW, but not a fan of counting on freshmen to start when they haven't been in our practices yet " unquote.

​​​​​​Thomas is a 2 time juco second teamer. When he committed it for all intents and purposes guaranteed MAW's playing would be greatly reduced. He is not a freshmen in the true sense but his field of vision, decisions with the ball, and "generaling" on the court has been mentioned as attributes that CWM has been seeking. Plus he can score. Between he, James and Griffith getting rapid development I think it's its going to be a rare occasion for MAW to see the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                                I think it's its going to be a rare occasion for MAW to see the floor.

Mika Adams-Woods averaged 29.9 minutes per game last year -- third on the team behind Landers Nolley (gone) and David DeJulius (gone) and ahead of Jeremiah Davenport (gone).

MAW also started all 36 games this past year, and 68 of 69 games in the Wes Miller era.

MAW is graduating and could transfer to any program and be immediately eligible. But he has chosen to stay. He wants to be here and play for the Bearcats. Wes Miller wants him to be here and play for the Bearcats.

If anyone wants to suggest he shouldn't start and cares to speculate that DaVeon Thomas (or Jizzle James) would be better-suited for that role, I can entertain that argument/discussion.

Suggesting that MAW is going to stay a fifth year, on the heels of starting 100% of the games and playing 30 mins/game, and barely play? Doesn't make much sense to me.
                                Last edited by GoBearcats31; 04-26-2023, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X