2023-24 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    quote "I don't see many scenarios where MAW is not your starting PG. I think Daveon will be most ready to push MAW, but not a fan of counting on freshmen to start when they haven't been in our practices yet " unquote.

​​​​​​Thomas is a 2 time juco second teamer. When he committed it for all intents and purposes guaranteed MAW's playing would be greatly reduced. He is not a freshmen in the true sense but his field of vision, decisions with the ball, and "generaling" on the court has been mentioned as attributes that CWM has been seeking. Plus he can score. Between he, James and Griffith getting rapid development I think it's its going to be a rare occasion for MAW to see the floor.
    Agreed 100% on Daveon, which is why I stated he would push MAW for a lot of PT.

Disagree 100% on freshmen, not Jizzle in particular. James may come in lights out, earn "some PT" like SKillings, or ride the bench a lot like Reed. All I'm saying is we shouldn't count on any freshman to take that role from a two year starter.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Mika Adams-Woods averaged 29.9 minutes per game last year -- third on the team behind Landers Nolley (gone) and David DeJulius (gone) and ahead of Jeremiah Davenport (gone).

MAW also started all 36 games this past year, and 68 of 69 games in the Wes Miller era.

MAW is graduating and could transfer to any program and be immediately eligible. But he has chosen to stay. He wants to be here and play for the Bearcats. Wes Miller wants him to be here and play for the Bearcats.

If anyone wants to suggest he shouldn't start and cares to speculate that DaVeon Thomas (or Jizzle James) would be better-suited for that role, I can entertain that argument/discussion.

Suggesting that MAW is going to stay a fifth year, on the heels of starting 100% of the games and playing 30 mins/game, and barely play? Doesn't make much sense to me.
      I agree.
      I can see the new guys coming in and try to earn (take) minutes from MAW. I can't see MAW having to fight to earn minutes from the new guys. MAW is a seasoned veteran with a lot of experience on the court.
      I can't see his role changing too much.

Comment

" Thomas is a 2 time juco second teamer. When he committed it for all intents and purposes guaranteed MAW's playing would be greatly reduced "

Everyone has made great points... But?? We've seen a ton of Juco's over the years, that rarely/barely contribute their first year.. For every Rueben Patterson & D'Juan Baker, we've had the likes of Rashawn Fredericks who came in with huge numbers, but could barely contribute.

I hope that's not the case, but I look forward to James contributing immediately..

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
          " Thomas is a 2 time juco second teamer. When he committed it for all intents and purposes guaranteed MAW's playing would be greatly reduced "

Everyone has made great points... But?? We've seen a ton of Juco's over the years, that rarely/barely contribute their first year.. For every Rueben Patterson & D'Juan Baker, we've had the likes of Rashawn Fredericks who came in with huge numbers, but could barely contribute.

I hope that's not the case, but I look forward to James contributing immediately..
          Yeah, statistically the odds that a 4 star freshmen will be a significant contributor are down around 10% and the odds for a Juco I'm guessing aren't much better. Last years top Juco's were not major contributors.

I expect MAW to start for the entire season. DaVeon and James are more likely to be around 20 minutes per game combined, than they are to play 20+ minutes individually. Development takes time and a veteran, experienced PG is not going to be easy to unseat.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
            We’re now in the Big 12. As of now, our scholarship roster looks like

Victor Lakhin
            Ody Oguama
            Dan Skillings
            Josh Reed
            Jizzle James
            Rayvon Griffith
            Sage Tolentino
            Jarrett Hensley
            Landers Nolley
            DaVeon Thomas
            John Newman
            Mika Adams-Woods
            Jeremiah Davenport

It seems obvious that roster is just not ready. I’ll assume for now that CWM won’t force anybody out, but I see guys on that list who will rearely see the floor. Who will transfer out, anybody?
            So here is the roster for 2023-24, assuming no more departures. Not top of the Big 12, but probably enough to make the NCAA Tournament.
            Mika Adams-Woods
            CJ Anthony*
            CJ Frederick
            Rayvon Griffith
            Jizzle James
            Chase Kirkwood*
            Viktor Lakhin
            Simas Lukosius
            John Newman
            Ody Oguama
            Josh Reed
            Jamille Reynolds
            Dan Skillings
            DaVeon Thomas
            Sage Tolentino
            *Walkons

Comment

Barring something surprising, the only thing above that may change here is Newman's medical red shirt not going through. Otherwise we're set with no open scholarships
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                Barring something surprising, the only thing above that may change here is Newman's medical red shirt not going through. Otherwise we're set with no open scholarships
                when will Newman find out? how much doubt, if any, is there he'll get it

Comment

I can't imagine he won't get it but it's the NCAA so who knows.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

So here is the roster for 2023-24, assuming no more departures. Not top of the Big 12, but probably enough to make the NCAA Tournament.
                    Mika Adams-Woods
                    CJ Anthony*
                    CJ Frederick
                    Rayvon Griffith
                    Jizzle James
                    Chase Kirkwood*
                    Viktor Lakhin
                    Simas Lukosius
                    John Newman
                    Ody Oguama
                    Josh Reed
                    Jamille Reynolds
                    Dan Skillings
                    DaVeon Thomas
                    Sage Tolentino
                    *Walkons
                    Does anyone know how many walk-ons are average in Big 12? I guess walk-on players can get NIL if player managers can
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Via Justin Williams ($) - Assessing Cincinnati basketball’s offseason additions, what could come next
                      https://theathletic.com/4478213/2023...4&redirected=1

Comment

Mika Adams-Woods
                        CJ Anthony*
                        CJ Frederick
                        Rayvon Griffith
                        Jizzle James
                        Chase Kirkwood*
                        Viktor Lakhin
                        Simas Lukosius
                        John Newman
                        Ody Oguama
                        Josh Reed
                        Jamille Reynolds
                        Dan Skillings
                        DaVeon Thomas
                        Sage Tolentino
                        *Walkons
                        - Mika
                        + Aziz

This is one long / tall roster

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

- Mika
                          + Aziz

This is one long / tall roster
                          Imagine adding Bidunga to this front court.

Comment

We all were concerned about being guard heavy awhile back now the pendulum has swung the other way. Now we have a dearth of experience of D1 @ point guard. Some of our SGs are going to have to spell @ the point. At least until DT & JJ gain confidence and experience

Comment

Hope the NCAA feels like granting waivers this year. We've got three guys that probably need one.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Hope the NCAA feels like granting waivers this year. We've got three guys that probably need one.
                                Aziz and Reynolds are definitely up in the air. Who's the 3rd guy with questionable eligibility status? I thought everyone else was covered for next season.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X