No announcement yet.

2023-24 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there is no set time line established by the NCAA to determine these cases but I would think a decision would be coming soon right?. Do they give the coaches any kind of heads up prior to rendering their decision public?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
      I know there is no set time line established by the NCAA to determine these cases but I would think a decision would be coming soon right?. Do they give the coaches any kind of heads up prior to rendering their decision public?
      It's the NCAA, they move at a glacial pace in general.

To my knowledge the NCAA does not give a heads up to coaches although they may to administrators. Sometimes the stuff leaks out but you basically have look at previous similar cases to figure out what they're doing. Colorado had a football player ruled ineligible for the year this week on a mental health transfer waiver which is definitely what Bandaogo is claiming. I think Reynolds may be in the same boat as well.

This is all trending in a bad direction for UC right now to be honest. I do think there is an appeal process in place for the players or they can grab a lawyer and sue the NCAA.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

This is all trending in a bad direction for UC right now to be honest. I do think there is an appeal process in place for the players or they can grab a lawyer and sue the NCAA.
        Yeah, every school gambled more than they probably should've this last round of playing in the transfer portal. However, I believe this is trending in the right direction for college athletes and college athletics. Sitting a year when you have close family medical issues or your own mental health issue is good for the student-athlete. They are still on the team, in practice, and forming a new support network; not having game stress isn't that bad. For the kids claiming these serious issues to get a better NIL deal, maybe considering their present situation or knowing they will have to sit means they fake the issue less, allowing real help to reach the young adults in need.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Looks like UNC had a football player denied as well although this is more of a move back home thing than a mental health waiver.

https://abc11.com/tez-walker-unc-foo...date/13690213/
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Still no update on the status of Reynolds, Bandaogo but NCAA just put out a statement regarding transfer waivers including mention of apparently "violent -- and possibly criminal -- threats" made against committee members following the UNC football player decision posted about above https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/9/12/...r-waivers.aspx

Comment

• Wow! "There are 21,685 student-athletes who entered the transfer portal this year. "

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                Still no update on the status of Reynolds, Bandaogo but NCAA just put out a statement regarding transfer waivers including mention of apparently "violent -- and possibly criminal -- threats" made against committee members following the UNC football player decision posted about above https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/9/12/...r-waivers.aspx
                That's ridiculous on people's part and I certainly don't condone that crap. I hope no one in our fanbase does that if/when they rule against Aziz and Jamille. However, making a logical sound decision in Walker's case was within reach for the NCAA and it appears that they utterly failed to do that. Walker's case will end up in a lawsuit which the NCAA will likely lose.

Walker's case vs. Aziz and Jamille's issues are not apples to apples. I just want to make that clear. Walker was not seeking a mental health conditional waiver.

red_n_black_attack is right. We're probably going to get screwed over by the NCAA here but the NCAA is trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube and if it's successful, the transfer portal will be less of an issue for everyone involved.

If we reach the point where lawyers get involved, I'd be wary on where this ends up. I keep bringing up James Wiseman at Memphis in this regard. The situation was totally different but the amount of money and energy expended on multiple ends to try and sort that mess out in the courts, and later with NCAA Infractions, was probably not worth it in the end for Memphis.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                  Wow! "There are 21,685 student-athletes who entered the transfer portal this year. "
                  I wonder how many person hours each waiver request takes? The vast majority are first time transfers or graduate transfers, and only 3% are multiple transfers requesting a waiver. That is still around 650 kids. It could take a while to learn the decision for basketball players if they are still issuing fall sports decisions.

As the football transfers who entered the portal prior to this guidance being issued, I understand the frustration. It is not fair to the student or the school; however, threatening committee members with violence is simply unacceptable.
                  Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• This sets precedent for multi time non graduate transfers. We should be prepared for Bandaogo and Reynolds to sit a year or graduate/leave.

https://247sports.com/college/oklaho...cu--216054928/
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• It's sure looking like it's going to go that way doesn't it.

Comment

• Given the NCAA and the way it does things, you guys are probably right about Aziz and Reynolds. However, if Lakhin continues to improve, he is going to be very difficult to deal with. Also, I saw some tape on Tolentino and he seems able to hit threes. If Tolentino can bring that element consistently to live game action, the team may have something in him. Of course, he will have to score around the rim, rebound, and play defense in the paint. I am very interested to see how well Tolentino plays. He really is a big mystery. Then there is Oguama. He had some break-through games last season. If Oguama can continue to improve upon last season, he is going to be a handful for other teams to handle. If Aziz and Reynolds are not eligible for the upcoming season, Miller will be forced to use either or both of Lukosius and Reed for that fourth big man spot. However, Miller could elect to go with a three-man rotation in the paint. Both Reed and Lukosius perhaps are big enough to play in the paints for short periods. Either way, with Aziz and Reynolds or without them, if Cincy can play good solid defense, rebound, and continue to hit shots, they will be alright. I like this team's chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
                          Given the NCAA and the way it does things, you guys are probably right about Aziz and Reynolds. However, if Lakhin continues to improve, he is going to be very difficult to deal with. Also, I saw some tape on Tolentino and he seems able to hit threes. If Tolentino can bring that element consistently to live game action, the team may have something in him. Of course, he will have to score around the rim, rebound, and play defense in the paint. I am very interested to see how well Tolentino plays. He really is a big mystery. Then there is Oguama. He had some break-through games last season. If Oguama can continue to improve upon last season, he is going to be a handful for other teams to handle. If Aziz and Reynolds are not eligible for the upcoming season, Miller will be forced to use either or both of Lukosius and Reed for that fourth big man spot. However, Miller could elect to go with a three-man rotation in the paint. Both Reed and Lukosius perhaps are big enough to play in the paints for short periods. Either way, with Aziz and Reynolds or without them, if Cincy can play good solid defense, rebound, and continue to hit shots, they will be alright. I like this team's chances.
                          I like your optimism but I think we needed either Aziz or Reynolds to have a realistic chance to bang with the big bodies in the Big 12. With both of them it would have been a whole lot of fun.

Comment

New grad transfer walk-on via Ohio Northern via Mason High School - Landen Long
                            https://gobearcats.com/sports/mens-b...den-long/11985
                            https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/9/2...ll-roster.aspx

The Cincinnati men's basketball program finalized its 2023-24 roster this fall with Ohio Northern grad transfer guard Landen Long.

The Mason native returns home to Cincinnati following a stellar four-year career. The 6-foot guard started 76 games of 84 played over his time in Ada for the Polar Bears, averaging 10.6 ppg. He earned Academic All-OAC honors multiple times and had 15 double-figure scoring games as a senior, shooting a career-best 38.8 percent from deep.

Long earned his degree from ONU in finance and with a minor in applied statistics. He is pursuing his MBA at Cincinnati. Long also has a Summer 2022 internship with Charles Schwab under his belt.

Comment

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/9/2...ll-roster.aspx

The Cincinnati men's basketball program finalized its 2023-24 roster this fall with Ohio Northern grad transfer guard Landen Long.

The Mason native returns home to Cincinnati following a stellar four-year career. The 6-foot guard started 76 games of 84 played over his time in Ada for the Polar Bears, averaging 10.6 ppg. He earned Academic All-OAC honors multiple times and had 15 double-figure scoring games as a senior, shooting a career-best 38.8 percent from deep.

Long earned his degree from ONU in finance and with a minor in applied statistics. He is pursuing his MBA at Cincinnati. Long also has a Summer 2022 internship with Charles Schwab under his belt.
                              Is he a player or a warm body for practice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Is he a player or a warm body for practice?

I mean he's a graduate walk on so he's mostly a practice player. Based on the playing time of CJ Anthony, he's not going to see the floor much.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X