2023-24 Roster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Rothstein's twitter

Source: Wright State's Tanner Holden has received a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible for the 2023-24 season. Holden is a two-time transfer who started his career at Wright State and spent last season at Ohio State. Averaged 20.1 PPG during the 21-22 season at Wright State.

Comment

• Originally posted by coach View Post
      From Rothstein's twitter

Source: Wright State's Tanner Holden has received a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible for the 2023-24 season. Holden is a two-time transfer who started his career at Wright State and spent last season at Ohio State. Averaged 20.1 PPG during the 21-22 season at Wright State.
      So he left Wright State for greener pastures at OSU, averaged 3.6 points per game at the top level, and transferred back to Wright State. I hope there is more to his story for getting a waiver or at least the NCAA just going all in and allowing everyone immediate eligibility.

UPDATE -- may be a grad transfer ...
      Last edited by GoBearcats31; 10-12-2023, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Is it possible some of the waiver decisions won't come until after the season starts?

Comment

• "I hope there is more to his story for getting a waiver or at least the NCAA just going all in and allowing everyone immediate eligibility".

With over a thousand kids waiting on an answer you would hope that one or two decisions a week ain't gonna get it done. Best case scenario would have been having a decision before bball practice even started.

Comment

• I saw from someone who spoke to an insider donor that both waivers were denied and there's a strong possibility that UC will approach the Ohio AG for assistance. Per Chad Brendel, tomorrow should be an interesting day at Big 12 media day.

Comment

• I sensed something was amiss by we not hearing anything. It just seemed like a lot a feet dragging going on. Plus as we are not of the elite programs it's not surprising that this would be the outcome.

Comment

• If we were North Carolina our players would be given waivers & allowed to play!

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                  If we were North Carolina our players would be given waivers & allowed to play!
                  The UNC brass trotted out their attorneys first.

Comment

• Complain about the NCAA all you want. They announced back in January they were going to crack down on 2nd time transfers (see below).

When's the last time that UC got a favorable ruling from the NCAA? I can't think of one.

I blame this on Miller. There's a reason these guys were available. I can see maybe rolling the dice on the Utah kid. He's a big time player. Now they are down 2 roster spots and the the season hasn't even started yet.

You can maybe get away with this to some extent in the American, or whatever fart-knocker league Miller was in a couple years ago. In the B-12 there's no way.

https://www.al.com/sports/2023/01/nc...transfers.html

Comment

• I threw this in a different thread but I'll repost it here since it pertains to both discussions.

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

It was not standard protocol until this year when UNC went that route with their transfer waiver for a football player and was successful. The NCAA did a really quick about face when hit with a court challenge.

If I were the NCAA, I'd run and hide and on these things and grant the waivers for this season only. They're getting absolutely crushed in court on nearly everything thrown at them right now. If they wanted to lock down the waiver process, that's fine. I get that it needs to have some rules to it. You can't change course in the middle of the season and leave a bunch of athletes hanging who thought it would be ok to transfer because of the prior rules in place. Most of the players trapped in the process were advised by various parties to take the angles for a transfer waiver that they chose.

Now do I think every mental health waiver request is legit ? No, but if you blanket deny them like what the NCAA seems to want to do this year and the NCAA as an organization has also publicly advocated for mental health iniatives in sports, you're about to have a really bad optics problem. The NCAA is talking out of both sides of their mouth on this.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcated View Post
                        Complain about the NCAA all you want. They announced back in January they were going to crack down on 2nd time transfers (see below).

When's the last time that UC got a favorable ruling from the NCAA? I can't think of one.

I blame this on Miller. There's a reason these guys were available. I can see maybe rolling the dice on the Utah kid. He's a big time player. Now they are down 2 roster spots and the the season hasn't even started yet.

You can maybe get away with this to some extent in the American, or whatever fart-knocker league Miller was in a couple years ago. In the B-12 there's no way.

I don't remember the specifics, but Landers Nolley just last year was eligible when I am not certain that was a sure thing when he transferred in. Obviously, as you point out, the NCAA made it clear things would be different this year.

There was certainly risk involved taking on not one but two 2-time non-grad transfers. So they definitely assumed that risk and had to know this was possible. At the same time, they are going to go to bat for them and maybe with Wes' connections at UNC they can leverage what happened with the UNC wide receiver and make things happen.

As you note, being down two roster spots is no bueno. Having one eligible and the other redshirting and being around an extra year wouldn't be terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcated View Post
                          Complain about the NCAA all you want. They announced back in January they were going to crack down on 2nd time transfers (see below).

You're not wrong about January. The problem I have with it is they did it in season. Basketball players that went into the portal before the change got approved to play this year and athletes who stuck it out until the end of the season before hitting the portal did not. That kind of bothers me. They should have waited until the summer break to change the rule for the next season.

That's one thing about the UNC case is that it was not a mental health waiver case. The guy had a family medical issue and moved home. He also filed to transfer right before the NCAA rule change happened.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I've said it before, if they were going to change the rules, fine. But a rule change like that should require at least a year notice. They should have announced the change the day after the 2022 tournament ended, effective July 1, 2023. Nobody would be complaining now, and players would have had enough advance notice to plan their futures. What they did just seems arbitrary, and perhaps just another nail in the coffin of the NCAA. As far as going to the Ohio AG, don't count on it, we're not O$U, which is all they care about.

Comment

• In an interview, Wes says appeals must be filed by Friday, and he expects about two weeks to get a decision.

Comment

• Here’s the full statement from Wes via Justin Williams.

https://x.com/williams_justin/status...204293828?s=46
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X