Big 12 talk is back thanks to Texas.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    I feel bad for UCONN, but... as our other past conference mates have done... CYA! I'd be happy with us and UCF or USF... I'll still miss the louisville rivalry though.
    I was really hoping that however this ends up we could stick with UConn but maybe that is just not in the cards. The B12 would be a lot of travel for us, but no worse than now. For UConn it would be a major travel factor. If the B12 added both, think of the BB. UC, UConn, Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Oklohoma, K-State.....not bad at all.

Comment

I'm not sure why this keeps getting brought up time-and-again. Let it die people, it ain't gonna happen.
      Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Warning rumor mill:

Two prominent twitter accounts associated with WVU have Oliver Luck headed to Texas as AD. This supposedly sets in motion dominoes that bring in UC, UCF and USF into the Big 12. One of the accounts is semi respected and one is generally not.

Personally as much crap as I give Chip Brown at Orangebloods he was right on Dodds and I'm frankly waiting for him to say something on the Oliver Luck front.

The Oliver Luck angle has been a popular one.
        I have long held the belief that the Big 12 is best fit for Cincinnati's athletic affiliation, but why does Oliver Luck being in Texas help the BEarcats?

I understand proximity to WV is enticing from a travel perspective; however two things:

1. UC and WVU do not have a "long" history together. A few years in the BEast and sharing a basketball coach or two over the last 35-40 years.

2. Even if WVU wants a geographical partner, why would Oliver care once he is in Texas? In my opinion, he will be trying to do things that satisfy his employer not benefit his former employer.

I personally hope that Fla State and Memphis are included in Big 12 expansion along with the Bearcats. At least those schools have former conference ties to UC with the Metro and Great Midwest/Conference USA respectively.

It will be an interesting offseason for the future of BEarcat athletics.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
          I have long held the belief that the Big 12 is best fit for Cincinnati's athletic affiliation, but why does Oliver Luck being in Texas help the BEarcats?
          Thank you. I have been wondering this same thing. Is it just that there might be renewed interest in expanding the conference with a new philosophy in the AD's office at the Big 12's power center or is there something else?
          McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

IMO anyone other than DeLoss Dodds in the Texas AD office helps UC. It doesn't have to be Oliver Luck.

If Oliver Luck gets the job then we would at least have someone very familiar with our program in a position of influence at Texas but even if he stays at WVU we still have someone of influence in the BIG 12 just less influence than if he were at Texas. Texas is the big blockage in the artery that is Big 12 expansion.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
              I'm not sure why this keeps getting brought up time-and-again. Let it die people, it ain't gonna happen.
              Don't be a Debbie Downer

Optimism is the right of every fan, while I know it is a done deal that we are going, I do not believe it is a done deal we are not going. I don't believe you know that for a fact either.

The Big 12 makes a lot of sense for UC in terms of academics, student enrollment, number of sports in which we compete and the caliber of play in those sports. Add in a new TV territory and untapped potential growth in large metropolitan area with a huge and dare I say hungry alumni fan-base. If the crowds at the Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl are any indication of potenital, we are at least in the conversation!
              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I don't know if Big 12 expansion will come true but I believe it is a possibility. The Big 12 will not stay at 10 members. They will expand at some point...next year...ten years? From the rumors circulating about Fox pushing for expansion that will not reduce payouts for the members is very promising. I'm not a media rights expert but this does sound feasible. You want to expand your brand because ultimately the money will follow and a strong brand is protection against being obsolete. The Big 12 was more reactive to grabbing teams and didn't do a much better job than the Big East in expansion. The Big East was doomed because the ACC had them in their sights.

I think new leadership at the school with the most influence is good for expansion and possibly for UC. I think Luck is a proponent of expansion but he has little influence at WVU.

Comment

Quandry!

I am at a quandary. I will be criticized after this posts, but cannot wait any longer for UC to get into a major conference, like the Big 12. I know that I will be giving up 25 years of UCAT points and my seats, but I am at an age that prohibits me from just limping along and having UC begging and pleading to be accepted in an established football conference. If the Big 12 becomes a reality, I hope it happens sooner rather than later, at least for my sake! I'm afraid I am going to kiss goodbye to something I have enjoyed.

Comment

That seems like an extreme reaction. If you are older then at your age you saw UC through decent to mediocre conferences and should have the wisdom and perspective to appreciate this current era. If you are young, then it just comes off as spoiled and gets too close to a UK or Buckeye fan. UC is not in a bad situation this year, and will be in a better situation in the future.
                    In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                    Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

I'm always amazed by the conference affiliation bug. True fans support their school and go for the love of both the school and the game. Honestly, the competition we saw in the big east before it imploded was not that strong. Sometimes you have to support things with the hope that you are helping to elevate the program. I got news for you, we haven't been playing in the sec for the past 6 or 7 years, so let's quite over dramatizing the schedule issues. Somehow if they get into the big 12, sec or whatever, and finish middle of the pack, then their will be complaints as well. You cannot win for losing.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                        I'm always amazed by the conference affiliation bug. True fans support their school and go for the love of both the school and the game. Honestly, the competition we saw in the big east before it imploded was not that strong. Sometimes you have to support things with the hope that you are helping to elevate the program. I got news for you, we haven't been playing in the sec for the past 6 or 7 years, so let's quite over dramatizing the schedule issues. Somehow if they get into the big 12, sec or whatever, and finish middle of the pack, then their will be complaints as well. You cannot win for losing.
                        I agree in part. Go support your school. It is fun to go down to the game and tailgate, see friends, create memories for your family...it is even more fun when they win! It is even more fun when they win and you play in a good conference! It is even more fun when you win and play in a good conference and get ranked and get on ESPN and are able to recruit really good players over and over again. So...conference affiliation counts. In the meantime, go support your team.

Comment

If Luck takes the Texas job, and by all accounts he is the front runner, does Whit leave for WVU? I know Mountianeer fans love him!

Comment

Originally posted by Cordon View Post
                            If Luck takes the Texas job, and by all accounts he is the front runner, does Whit leave for WVU? I know Mountianeer fans love him!
                            Based on some of his previous comments towards WVU's education system, I would say that the money would have to be really good.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Ok to visit morgantown but would not want to live there.

Comment

One of the reasons the WVU fans want Whit:

A native of Harrisonburg, Va., Babcock came to Mizzou in August of 2007 following a five-year stint as the Assistant Athletics Director and Executive Director of Development for West Virginia University.
                                During his tenure at WVU, private giving increased by more than 200 percent to a total of $14 million annually. Babcock also led the fundraising efforts associated with a $35 million athletics facility enhancement campaign while serving on the senior staff.

And what the WVU sports world is writing:

www.bluegoldsports.com/who-would-it-be

I think it is going to get interesting, and WVU can and will shell out the bucks.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X