More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
    There is no link. TCU was definitely bashed and dropped from third in the polls to sixth after they beat Iowa State 55-3. I contend that if the Big 12 would have had a 13th game and TCU beat a Baylor team or even Kansas State that they would have never dropped out of the top four. If any team got jobbed, it was TCU.
    Florida St. at 13-0 and the defending national champs would have had to be included despite their iffy performance all year, Alabama, everyone's #1 also included, as would have been Oregon, the Ducks being everyone's #2. Which means it would have been OSU, despite its performance in the BIG championship game, out in the cold. How ironic would it be if OSU wins it all? Perhaps the Buckeyes should send flowers and chocolates to all the BIG 12 Presidents and ADs.

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      If the Big 12 gets to 14 teams, then one of two things will happen:
      1. either the ACC will aggressively woo two Big-12 teams or
      2. the ACC will vote to dissolve, thus ending the GOR and freeing top
      teams to pursue SEC, B!G or Big 12 membership.
      How does a conference vote to disband work? Is it a simple majority...or 2/3....or 3/4?
      Reason I ask is there's no way Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, Boston College, UNC, NC State, Duke, and Wake Forest are voting to disband.......they're toast without the existing GOR in the ACC.

Comment

• There may not be enough value left to continue if the ACC is raided. In that scenario, they would either add lesser teams and not be P5 conference or fold the conference and each school is on their own to negotiate their new direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackattack View Post
          How does a conference vote to disband work? Is it a simple majority...or 2/3....or 3/4?...
          I don't know the answer to that question. I have read various reports that the B!G is interested in North Carolina and possibly Virginia to keep the conference in contiguous states and get to 16.

The Big 12 (not good for Bearcats) would be very interested in Loserville, Fla State, Miami, Va Tech, and Clemson - leaving only one slot for us as they go to 16. However, the SEC would also be after one of the Florida schools or North Carolina or Virginia.

I am hoping the ACC strikes first in race to 16 and picks UC because I'd like to believe we are a decent fit for ACC, but at the same time, I'd jump at a Big 12 invite.

Can you imagine a consortium of four super conferences say they won't send any teams to the NCAA Tourney and sell their all 64 team Tourney to either Fox or ESPN/ABC? Autonomy is bad for the student athlete concept, but is only good for fans of autonomous schools.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
            They are not getting their waiver. The PAC12, B1G and SEC will never approve it and surely the G-5 conferences won't go for it.

They can either stay at 10 and push for an 8 team playoff, expand or possibly continue to get shut out of the 4 team playoff. I don't believe a word he says.
            I am not an expert on NCAA rules - although I believe the 12-school mandate for a championship game is a misconception. Or better stated...a condensed way to look at the rule in place.

I believe the rule is written to allow a championship game provided that their are at least two divisions of at least six schools in each division.

This is why the ACC angle is so interesting... they want to see deregulation (not a waiver) to remove this requirement. This would allow them to move to 3 divisions of 5 schools each (or possibly four with 4 some day) - which ultimately gives them more flexibility with scheduling.

AD's can be rather sympathetic with each other when it comes so scheduling because they know it can get complicated. I am not sure that there would be a lot of opposition to the ACC's request if it wasn't for the Big 12 jumping on the coat tails of the request.

This might get very interesting...

Comment

• My take on any conference disbanding would be that major changes would have to take place. The bottom feeders are not going to go quietly because chances are they would not be picked up by any of the so called power4 and they would lose their cash cow TV revenue. With GOR in place and TV contracts in place through 2020 or so, here will not be any dissolved conferences. All of the P5 conferences have perennial basement teams but many times those teams are the higher academic schools in the leagues so the conferences probably do not want to cut them loose either. UC's best chance right now is if the Big12 decides to add teams. I still would prefer the ACC because of the reasons so many have stated.

Comment

• President Ono just tweeted a pic of him and the VP of Oklahoma on TCU's campus

Comment

• With UC's luck, Ono will be the next prez at TCU!
                  JDBearcat
                  RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

• Originally posted by cinmike View Post
                    President Ono just tweeted a pic of him and the VP of Oklahoma on TCU's campus
                    What was the purpose of his visit? Was he there last weekend for the WVU game or is he there now for another function?

Comment

• Big 12 to Discuss Championship Game

Not too much new here, but the author seems to think that they have yet to apply for the waiver, but it will be easily approved if they do.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...al-title-game/

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                        Not too much new here, but the author seems to think that they have yet to apply for the waiver, but it will be easily approved if they do.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...al-title-game/
                        I find that funny. They applied for the CG waiver last year and as of the end of the season, the NCAA had a 6 month window left to decide it. That leaves us with 4 1/2 months roughly. I also don't think it's a sure thing. The other conferences have a say in this and there's nothing they would like to do more than weaken the smallest league, realign again and get down to 4 power conferences IMO.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          I find that funny. They applied for the CG waiver last year and as of the end of the season, the NCAA had a 6 month window left to decide it. That leaves us with 4 1/2 months roughly. I also don't think it's a sure thing. The other conferences have a say in this and there's nothing they would like to do more than weaken the smallest league, realign again and get down to 4 power conferences IMO.
                          Why are they the weakest league? Geography. They have Texas covered, but after that it is Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. Nothin wrong with that, but they are all pretty small population states, adding Ohio and Florida would enhance the national footprint and more than double the non Texas population.
                          Last edited by longtimefan; 01-12-2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• something to keep the thread going..... http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-near-future/

Comment

• Would you be willing to take a partnership with the Big 12 similar to the one Noter Shame has with the ACC? I ask because it's unlikely the Big 12 only adds BYU to such an arrangement and it could be a possibility to get them to 12 football teams for championship.

Comment

• Interesting that ESPN listed us as one of the 5 top jobs outside the P5. We were in the group with BYU and Houston. BYU wants in and so do we. Do it.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X