More proof the Big 12 needs to add us!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coach View Post
    That could happen but at least u are a p5 member at that point. Remnants greater than current aac and payout as well.
    Agreed. It would be nice to find a permanent home in the P5, and hopefully it would be the last time we have to change conferences.

Comment

• http://sportige.com/college-football...in-12-09-2014/

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...expansion.html

A couple of articles that I have not seen posted here yet. The second one is selling ESPN as a reason for BYU to join the Big12.

And one from a Memphis slant... http://memphisport.com/2014/12/5-rea...ty-of-memphis/
      Last edited by bearcatbret; 12-11-2014, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• @ChuckCarltonDMN
        On returning to Dallas from NY, Bob Bowlsby confirms that if Big 12 is to add a FB title game, it will come through NCAA legislation.

@ChuckCarltonDMN
        Bowlsby on expansion talk: "I don’t think our position has changed one iota. ... We're going to stay at the 10 for the foreseeable future."

Comment

• 1) What if they don't get a waiver

2) Define foreseeable future

This is, after everything had started to settle down, what I expected to come out. I still don't think that the foreseeable future goes past 2018 when their TV contract expires. The schools are being stubborn and think they can get a waiver. If they don't, maybe this position changes. We'll know in 6 months when the NCAA's decision is due.

A conditional, expiring waiver would be great. Would give them X number of years to expand.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• As predicted. You get the distinct impression from the Big12 that they will expand only when they have exhausted every other option available to them.
            Time for us to move on and make the best of it in the AAC

Comment

• I read one blog last night where Kansas hopes that the Big12 dissolves and they get an invite to the BIG. There is actually a lot of talk of the Big12 folding. I will see if I can not find the article.

This is not it but interesting in the bias.... "the conference may look at expanding with – gasp – Cincinnati and Memphis. As if adding mid-major schools that aren’t even the most popular programs in their own cities is what the league needs to battle the SEC, Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12". http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-go-from-here/

About Kansas but still not the article about going to the BIG. http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2014/12...yoffs-may-have
              Last edited by bearcatbret; 12-11-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Expanding playoffs not conferences

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...to-eight-teams

Everyone seems to have their own opinions on the fallout of the Big 12 being left out of the first playoff.

There are only four slots and five "Power Conferences". What would the talk be if one of the other conferences got left out? A loss in the conference championship game by any of the other top four and the conversation would be about how the Big 12 got it right with it's one true champion motto.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...to-eight-teams

Everyone seems to have their own opinions on the fallout of the Big 12 being left out of the first playoff.

There are only four slots and five "Power Conferences". What would the talk be if one of the other conferences got left out? A loss in the conference championship game by any of the other top four and the conversation would be about how the Big 12 got it right with it's one true champion motto.
                  Exactly. This will all blow over in a few short months.
                  Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
                    Exactly. This will all blow over in a few short months.
                    The money won't blow over. The SEC and ACC are receiving about $20 million more than the other conferences this year!

Being in the Rose or Sugar Bowl as part of the playoff nets the conference $6 million for each participant, plus another $2 million goes directly to the school to cover travel costs.

The Cotton Bowl pays the conference for each team $4 million.

Conferences receive $27.5 million for each team in the Orange Bowl!! Miss St and Ga Tech

On years when the playoffs are not in the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, their payouts go back to normal and the Orange Bowl payout is only $6 million per conference when they host a playoff.

There is no additional money given to conference or team for winning the playoff game and playing in the championship game.

I did not get the payout for the Fiesta Bowl, but I'll guess it's more than $6 but less than $27.5 million.

As I recall, UC said it nearly lost money when the Big east was given $17 million for our Orange Bowl appearance.

Thus, if the Big 12 had a conference championship this year and sent one of those teams to the playoff, the conference would've been able to split $2 million twelve ways (if we had expansion), plus however much the conference would've received for having the conference championship.

NET - follow the money, not the heart in any talk of expansion. TV ratings and renegotiated deals will rule any expansion decision making. This is one reason I give a lot of credit to Lobot when he says expansion won't happen for 3-5 years, because that's when the Big 12 tv contract ends and that's probably when the playoff will expand to eight teams.
                    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• There might not be a big 12 by then.

Comment

• Then why do we have so many people on this board that wants us to be in the Big12? I could see a scenario just like the Big East when the Big 12 gets raided and UC on the outside looking in again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Otto View Post
                          Then why do we have so many people on this board that wants us to be in the Big12? I could see a scenario just like the Big East when the Big 12 gets raided and UC on the outside looking in again.
                          Because there are also several positive outcomes too. Perhaps the B12 doesn't implode in which case being the B12 is any form is much better than the AAC. Secondly, there is the possibility that it does implode, but after a duration in which UC football again achieves national rankings and recognition. Perhaps, this time around, UC could capitalize on its success and move to one of the remaining conferences.

I really don't see any alternatives. We aren't going to the SEC, PAC12 or BIG. The ACC seems pretty settled at this point. The only conference which may require an expansion is the B12.

The only other option is to remain a "mid-major" (as a few journalists called us recently) forever.

--Gary

Comment

• Gary - I agree totally. The revenue from one year would be the equivalent of what, 10 years in the AAC? If the Big12 does expand, I believe that they remain solvent and relevant. If they do not expand, it may be a signal that they are ready to dissolve and have their members move onto other p5 conferences which would then be p4. Kansas and Iowa State to the BIG, TX and OK to the SEC. Not sure where their two stars from this year end up (Baylor, TCU). However, if the choose expansion, that is a signal that they want to remain the Big12.

Just read the GoBearcats.com article about the upcoming Nebraska bball game. This stood out - "Cincinnati is the only FBS school in the nation to currently own conference titles in basketball and football. "
                            Last edited by bearcatbret; 12-12-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Kansas and Kansas state have to move together. The state wants them together in whatever conference they go to.

Anytime in spent in the big 12 is better than time spent in the American. More money, more visibility - more experience playing with the big boys.

If 12 implodes then at least it was better to have all that if even for a short while over those who didn't. At least it puts us in line again before many others.
                              Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

• ^An article/blog that I read written by a Kansas fan/writer (I have lost track of everything that I have read), said that KState and Kansas were not rivals but Kansas lost their true rival when Mizzu left the Big12. I am not sure that KState and Kansas will move together. I believe that it will be like all else if the Big12 folds, all universities for themselves.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X