Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackattack View Post

Agree. IF we get in, we're going to have to be patient getting up to speed.
    Brent, does the vote within the Big12 have to be unanimous in order to accept new members? If so, I'm still worried that UT holds sway and could veto expansion by themselves.
    I don't believe it has to be unanimous.

I was talking Texas a little with some locals and they have started to accept the fact that the President and AD are not holding the same political stance their predecessors were 2 years ago. You also have a regent trying to swing the whole school out of the stone ages as far as its policies and procedures go. He's ruffling a lot of feathers as he goes but he's slowly changing the tone there. Texas is at worst an ole' boys club and there are people in those positions now that want them out of that line of thinking.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I wonder how the AAC is going to vote. I also wonder what happens if both the B12/ACC legislation and the B10 legislation passes. Then it seems the B12 can hold the CCG but would then have to set up two 5-team divisions. Would the B12 be stubborn enough to go with the 5-team divisions instead of expanding?

Comment

We've been through this so many times that I won't hold my breath. (Still hopeful, though.) As far as competitiveness is concerned, should this play out to UC's favor, I also recall people who felt we should stay out of the BE so that we wouldn't be embarrassed weekly in football and routinely in basketball.

It certainly didn't turn out that way. Moving up changes the dynamics of recruiting. TT and Mick now can offer games to recruits against UConn (no slouch on the court), ECU and SMU, or Baylor, Kansas (lousy football, but historically dominant basketball) and Oklahoma. Set low goal, get low results. Set high goals, opportunities abound.

If offered, Santa Ono immediately should cancel all other plans and get on a plane to Dallas, pen in-hand.
        Last edited by swilsonsp4; 01-04-2016, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
          We've been through this so many times that I won't hold my breath. (Still hopeful, though.).
          i was just about to post the exact same thing (and now I am). this certainly seems like it's the strongest chance of getting in of all the other rumors that have been going around for years. even with that, my gut just doesn't let me get excited.

i just see the scenario playing out with them choosing to expand and inviting BYU and UConn...or Houston and UCF...or USF and Memphis. even though UC has ALWAYS been one of the two mentioned, i almost expect that to happen - haha.

i've obviously been around cincinnati sports too long - lol

Comment

Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post

i was just about to post the exact same thing (and now I am). this certainly seems like it's the strongest chance of getting in of all the other rumors that have been going around for years. even with that, my gut just doesn't let me get excited.

i just see the scenario playing out with them choosing to expand and inviting BYU and UConn...or Houston and UCF...or USF and Memphis. even though UC has ALWAYS been one of the two mentioned, i almost expect that to happen - haha.

i've obviously been around cincinnati sports too long - lol
            I agree. I have always felt that somehow we will get screwed in this whole thing. Maybe I am just a pessimist or don't want to get my hopes up only to be let down.

Comment

I thought I read that in order for the Big 12 Deregulation Proposal to fail, 85% of the conferences would have to vote against it. That means of the 15 votes that will be cast, 13 would have to be against it. I think that's a long shot. Just don't see that happening. For that reason I think the status quo will prevail.
              And don't forget.....this is the Big 12 we're talking about.......they're not operating in the same world as the rest of college football. Last year they got shut out of the playoffs. This year they sat and watched as Mich State jumped over Oklahoma into the #3 spot on the strength of MSU's Conference Championship win over Iowa. All that....and Bowlsby and Co are STILL lobbying to prevent having a championship game. They don't get it and they never will.
              Oklahoma's president David Boren has already put the Big 12 on notice about the need to make changes but it doesn't appear to be working. If status quo prevails, I look for Oklahoma and Kansas to get out as soon as they can (probably to the SEC or B1G ).

Comment

I agree. My math tells me the numbers aren't there. The Big12 and ACC will vote for deregulation and you have to assume that the AAC will vote for deregulation as well because they will be poached if there is realignment. That is only 10/15 for 67%.

Comment

If the proposal gets 85% of the votes (13 out of 15), the decision is final.

If the proposal gets between 8 to 12 votes, it will pass but will be subjected to a 60-day trial period in which schools can request to rescind.

If it gets less than 8 votes, it obviously fails.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post

If the proposal gets between 8 to 12 votes, it will pass but will be subjected to a 60-day trial period in which schools can request to rescind.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I feel a little better. Even if it does eventually fail I think Okla or Kansas will get peeved and leave which will start the next round of realignment anyway.

Comment

i just read the cliff notes on the process and everything above is true (no doubts) but one thing that i read that was interesting was that the P5 conferences votes count twice, while the other conferences (AAC) only count once. maybe slightly better percentages given that...

Comment

Two points of conversation:

1. There have been debates for years that teams that play in their conference title games are able to stay in a rhythm because they don't have the long lay-off. O$U is an example where the long layoff used to hurt them and playing in first weekend of December has "given me the impression" they are a better bowl team now. Big 12 teams on the other hand have seemed to regress in bowl performance since they no longer have a conference title game. Does anyone else seem to get this impression.

2. If deregulation passes and OU/KU leave the Big 12, how far could the trickle down effect go? Both the PAC and the B!G would be interested, and the B!G would seem to be able to offer the best incentives and also makes best fit with Nebraska. Would the B!G go to 16 teams? Could they shed any original members in an attempt to expand tv footprint? One team per state seems to be their goal as they consider expansion candidates, could they take an internal look with this philosophy, i.e. Purdue and Northwestern
                        What could be other landing spots? SEC, ACC - I think Big 12 is best chance for UC to get into a P5 conference; however, the ACC is a better fit though those chance are fairly slim.

I am really hoping the Big 12 remains viable, intact, and a top tier football conference, because it gives UC the best chance to get into a P5 conference (either Big 12 or ACC). If the Big 12 implodes, I'd see the ACC snapping up some Texas schools not named Texas and possibly Ok State. The B!G will never take UC because of the Columbus team. Although probably one of the top 64 schools (when considering academics and all athletics), I see UC not making into the Super 64 because of traditional allegiances.
                        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post

OK thanks for the clarification. So that gives me some hope....albeit very small.

Comment

Fun with bad tables:
                            Big XII Expansion
                            In favor Against Unknown
                            Oklahoma X
                            Oklahoma St X
                            TCU X
                            Baylor X
                            West Virginia X
                            Texas Tech X
                            Texas X
                            Kansas St X
                            Iowa St X
                            Kansas X
                            Table is in order of last year's football final standings. If anyone else has an idea where the unknowns are leaning let me know. I personally think that Tech leans In Favor of expansion but haven't really heard anything for sure. I need to get out and find some locals for Baylor, TCU and Tech to talk to.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Why is Iowa Stat against expansion? I don't see them being picked up by another P-5 conference if the conference falls apart. Is it just the money?

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              Fun with bad tables:
                              Big XII Expansion
                              In favor Against Unknown
                              Oklahoma X
                              Oklahoma St X
                              TCU X
                              Baylor X
                              West Virginia X
                              Texas Tech X
                              Texas X
                              Kansas St X
                              Iowa St X
                              Kansas X
                              Table is in order of last year's football final standings. If anyone else has an idea where the unknowns are leaning let me know. I personally think that Tech leans In Favor of expansion but haven't really heard anything for sure. I need to get out and find some locals for Baylor, TCU and Tech to talk to.

Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Why is Iowa Stat against expansion? I don't see them being picked up by another P-5 conference if the conference falls apart. Is it just the money?

It's the money. They're sitting at the bottom of the football pile raking in dough for being terrible. AD's against it for money reasons and I believe the President came out against it also. Iowa St is sitting on a cash cow. They know they can stink it up and still drag in all that TV money without expending any effort.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X