No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see how this is a "compromise". It's actually giving the Big 12 a leg up on getting one of their teams into the playoff every year. Think about it. Why hand the big 12 the ability to automatically get their two highest ranked teams into a conf championship game??? The other conferences are not guaranteed to have their two highest ranked teams playing in their championship games......for example the ACC has Clemson & FSU in the same division, the Big 10 has Ohio State and Mich State in the same division, etc etc This makes no sense at all. Why the other P5 would just hand the big 12 an apparent advantage is a mystery

Comment

I'm with you. I don't see why the other P5 conferences would put up with this. They would basically be propping up the Big 12 which is not in the best interest of their respective conferences. I would think they want to the Big 12 to implode 1st, expand 2nd and stick with status quo 3rd IMO. There's no sense in them propping it up unless they know it's temporary.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Perhaps this allowance will change the composition of conference championship games in other leagues too?
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

That might be what we're about to see. Bowlsby seems to be pretty confident they're going to negotiate something that works for them which means unless OU can figure out how to wiggle out from the under the Grant of Rights before the TV contract expires, nothing's going to happen until 2026.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I agree. Something is going to be worked out and the Big 12 will have a CCG without expansion. Hopefully, there are some other expansion scenarios that will happen before 2026 but who knows.

Comment

I think we're officially headed for a P4 with 4 divisional pods per conference, a 2 week championship for each league and a 4 team CFP. I think we can thank Dr. Williams for the shortsighted buttfumble.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                That might be what we're about to see. Bowlsby seems to be pretty confident they're going to negotiate something that works for them which means unless OU can figure out how to wiggle out from the under the Grant of Rights before the TV contract expires, nothing's going to happen until 2026.
                Don't be too mad...Bowlsby has been confident several times before, only to come away disappointed. He was confident the Longhorn Network would be good for the Big 12. He was confident A&M wouldn't leave the conference. He was confident One True Champion would produce a playoff team every year. He is confident OU and Kansas are bluffing about leaving. His history of disappointments leave me confident he'll be disappointed again.

I also think something will happen before 2026 because the Group of 5 will crash the playoff a few times in the coming years, though this is only my opinion. Bowl performance more critical in this format because perception carries over year upon year. I still hold that undefeated Houston would've been in
                the Top 4 this year after winning the American CCG. Every year will present 2-3 legitimate chances to get a non P5 school into the playoff, including Noter Shame. Going undefeated in any conference is still going to be a rarity and add to it that some conferences are no longer scheduling the old Div II schools. This means a Group of Five school will also have more opportunities to get better strength of schedule when the pieces to an undefeated season occurs.

Comment

We'll I guess we're going to find out. Vote is scheduled for today. Some twitters follows in case I'm not around to post: @kbohls (Austin) @ChuckCarltonDMN (Dallas) @TimGriffinBIg12 (San Antonio) . The meeting is in San Antonio. There is already one rumor floating that deregulation will actually pass which makes everything moot.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Do you have any idea around what time the vote is going to take place? For clarity, could you post the times in central time zone since that's the local time?

Until then, let's pray, hope, zen or whatever applies to each of us to get an outcome favorable to UC being invited to join the Big 12 tomorrow or Friday

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    We'll I guess we're going to find out. Vote is scheduled for today. Some twitters follows in case I'm not around to post: @kbohls (Austin) @ChuckCarltonDMN (Dallas) @TimGriffinBIg12 (San Antonio) . The meeting is in San Antonio. There is already one rumor floating that deregulation will actually pass which makes everything moot.

Comment

I believe it has been decided that the B12 can have a championship game without divisions & only 10 teams.
                      This really really sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                        Do you have any idea around what time the vote is going to take place? For clarity, could you post the times in central time zone since that's the local time?

Until then, let's pray, hope, zen or whatever applies to each of us to get an outcome favorable to UC being invited to join the Big 12 tomorrow or Friday

I do not have a copy of the agenda at this time. Not that I'm not trying to grab one. The 3 guys I mentioned above are dead quiet which tells me that they are in the meeting and not allowed to report anything until the current session ends.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Second blog writer now stating that the Big 12 will stay with 10 and get it's CCG without divisions. Actual vote has not happened yet as far as I can figure out. Apparently the B1G is the culprit behind the no divisions thing.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

tO$U is probably pulling every string it can to make sure we DO NOT get an invite to a P5 conference....

Comment

This is somewhat helpful. https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...cussion-policy
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Bummer. This was best shot in short and near future 8-10 years.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X