No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the whole B1G is against us being in a power conference. It's a turf war already with West Virginia sitting in their geographical footprint. From a business perspective why make it easier for your competition to enter the region? I'm beginning to think that we're not the school getting screwed over the worst. It's really WVU.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I think I could suffer the indignation that WVU must face given their tv revenue.

The Big 12 has other issues than whether or not they can be greedy and keep ten shares of the pie and add to the pie with CCG. The Big 12 has the smallest tv audiences/geography, the smallest market area, and the smallest number of teams limiting growth prospects. Deregulation is about giving their teams a 13th game to better position a team to get into the playoff consistently. These other issues will affect expansion, if and when the Longhorn Network forces a change to the current way of thinking.

Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

There will be no expansion. A compromise was reached. The AAC and ACC were the only no votes on deregulation. The Big 12 is not expanding at this time per Bowlsby's press conference this afternoon.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

and thus ends the glory years of UC football, I only see us going downhill from here

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
            and thus ends the glory years of UC football, I only see us going downhill from here
            I say we start rolling money into basketball and drastically scale back on football. We were always a basketball school anyway. What a waste of money renovating Nippert even though we didn't know it at the time. We could have taken that money plus what will be raised for 5/3 and had a really nice arena.

Comment

I have to say I have really mixed feelings about this, as I have had all along regarding potential membership in the Big 12. I have worried about the long term viability of the league, the geographical footprint compared to other potential options, and just what our role and position would be if and when we entered the Big 12 compared to the AAC.

Obviously I have thought as have many others that being admitted to the Big 12 would be a really good step up for our school and athletic program. However I have always worried about the stability of the Big 12, particularly because they refuse to speak with one voice and the apparent divisions between the schools, especially regarding the specialized treatment of Texas and the Longhorn network. The main reason for the demise of the big east was that it was impossible to get all the members to buy into the same vision as to what the conference should be, when the football schools desperately needed to make moves to stay relevant, the basketball schools took a could care less attitude and made no concessions to keep the conference relevant in football. For example, there was no good reason at all to invite DePaul and Marquette at the same time we were invited, the football brand was the side in trouble, so it was done so basketball only would maintain an equal number of votes in any league proceedings. If DePaul and Marquette had been replaced by football schools like Memphis and UCF the league may have survived. The same type of stuff seems to be going on with the Big 12, and I am still not convinced that the league is viable long term. You still see fan sites talking about adding Clemson and Florida State to the Big 12, that will never happen.

Geography is also a problem, but not really worse than were we are now. The ACC would have been the best fit for us, but on the other hand we managed to win NCAA basketball championships in the Missouri Vally which had roughly the same footprint as the current big 12 but with less concentration in Texas.

Finally if the vote had gone the other way, it does say something that the Big 12 went to such extraordinary measures to not have to invite us. So if they had invited us, what real benefit could we have expected with regards to scheduling, TV exposure, perception of the rest of the league? How much of the revenue split would we have had to give up and for how long?

In short, the Big 12 would be my least favorite P5 conference for us to join, but it seemed to be our only opportunity. If an invite does come somehow, we have to accept, but I would never be totally comfortable there because it's not the best fit for us and I would always be waiting for the next wave expansion to tear it apart.

Comment

Time for UC to move on and do what they can to help raise the profile of the AAC and maybe long term try to get into the ACC. The Big12 is toast......its really not a true "conference" anyway....its a collection of schools that can't stand each other.

Comment

OU President David Boren said the Big 12 is disadvantaged compared to other conferences because it does not have at least 12 members, a conference network and a conference championship game in a statement to The Daily Wednesday.

Comment

Well let's be the best team in the AAC year in & year out. We need to be the Boise State of the AAC. Backing off of football now would be a bad move. Let's support our coaches & players & make Nippert
                    a tough place to win games.

Comment

What will Boren really do if they are at a disadvantage? OU can't go independent - they're too smart to think they can do that. Kansas isn't much of a football power, but they are one of about 5-6 schools that can carry a conference in basketball. Would K-State and O-State join them?

The #1 thing I see is OU advocating expansion, but staying put. #2 could see them defecting to SEC or the B!G; however, #3 they could splinter the Big 12 and expand their footprint, while addressing these other issues. They won't budge any time soon; however, what would this conference line-up do as a Real - All American AAC with remnants of AAC, Big 12, and Mountain West

Boise State
                      BYU
                      OU
                      OSU
                      KU
                      KSU
                      WVU
                      Memphis
                      Houston
                      SMU
                      S. Fla
                      Cincinnati 12 teams
                      TCU or Baylor - both if they would separate from Texas to get to 14. If only one of them, then UConn or Central Fla or San Diego State

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                        Well let's be the best team in the AAC year in & year out. We need to be the Boise State of the AAC. Backing off of football now would be a bad move. Let's support our coaches & players & make Nippert
                        a tough place to win games.
                        Amen!!! Also pushing this to forefront as it's a better post than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                          I have to say I have really mixed feelings about this, as I have had all along regarding potential membership in the Big 12. I have worried about the long term viability of the league, the geographical footprint compared to other potential options, and just what our role and position would be if and when we entered the Big 12 compared to the AAC.

Obviously I have thought as have many others that being admitted to the Big 12 would be a really good step up for our school and athletic program. However I have always worried about the stability of the Big 12, particularly because they refuse to speak with one voice and the apparent divisions between the schools, especially regarding the specialized treatment of Texas and the Longhorn network. The main reason for the demise of the big east was that it was impossible to get all the members to buy into the same vision as to what the conference should be, when the football schools desperately needed to make moves to stay relevant, the basketball schools took a could care less attitude and made no concessions to keep the conference relevant in football. For example, there was no good reason at all to invite DePaul and Marquette at the same time we were invited, the football brand was the side in trouble, so it was done so basketball only would maintain an equal number of votes in any league proceedings. If DePaul and Marquette had been replaced by football schools like Memphis and UCF the league may have survived. The same type of stuff seems to be going on with the Big 12, and I am still not convinced that the league is viable long term. You still see fan sites talking about adding Clemson and Florida State to the Big 12, that will never happen.

Geography is also a problem, but not really worse than were we are now. The ACC would have been the best fit for us, but on the other hand we managed to win NCAA basketball championships in the Missouri Vally which had roughly the same footprint as the current big 12 but with less concentration in Texas.

Finally if the vote had gone the other way, it does say something that the Big 12 went to such extraordinary measures to not have to invite us. So if they had invited us, what real benefit could we have expected with regards to scheduling, TV exposure, perception of the rest of the league? How much of the revenue split would we have had to give up and for how long?

In short, the Big 12 would be my least favorite P5 conference for us to join, but it seemed to be our only opportunity. If an invite does come somehow, we have to accept, but I would never be totally comfortable there because it's not the best fit for us and I would always be waiting for the next wave expansion to tear it apart.

What he said!

Comment

I've pretty much given up on the Big 12 but since we're still talking about this here's the contract for LHN in PDF. Go to Page 23 number 14 and look at the termination clauses. I'll need the "official site attorneys" to slice and dice this better than I can. The contract runs all the way through 2031 but has a few outs for all of the contracted parties. I think the other Big 12 members could probably argue that Texas is not doing business with the conference in good faith and sue the school based on what the terms of this thing are. That might open the door to kick Texas out and expand.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byz...w?pref=2&pli=1
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

On that note: http://m.newsok.com/david-boren-woul...medium=twitter
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                                Boren for President!!

I like his call to expand and end the Longhorn Network. I don't like the analysis (not Boren's, the author's) that BYU and UConn would bring the most to the new conference network.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X