No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SEC commish just announced they will not support deregulation. So add them to the B1G and PAC 12 and that's 6 votes against deregulation.

Just to be clear there are two things going on here. There's the deregulation vote on the 15th and the subsequent invitation process from the Big 12 if deregulation fails.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Ok, this is what I'm seeing. The P5 is a known quantity at this point but it's the G5 that are important. The way I'm seeing it most if not all of the G5 conference should vote against deregulation. This keeps them from getting raided by the conference above them when the dominoes fall. I don't know for sure whether they will actually vote that way.

Conference For Against Leaning For Leaning against Unknown
      American 1
      ACC 2
      Big 12 2
      Big 10 2
      CUSA 1
      MAC 1
      MWC 1
      Pac 12 2
      SEC 2
      Sun Belt 1
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Maybe I don't get it, but it seems to me that the G5 would want to vote for deregulation allowing the Big 12 to hold a championship game with their current 10 members. Hence no need for expansion and no raiding of the G5.
        ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Maybe I don't get it. I think the AAC would definitely vote as you're saying because they're the raidee. I'm just not sure the AAC has taken a public stance and I could be wrong about that.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I don't have a great feeling about this either way. It sounds like the P5 are going to work really hard on some sort of a compromise. If the legislation does fail and the Big 12 expands, I'm sure UC has a great chance. But even if they do add UC, the bottom line is that they do not want us. Maybe I've still got a hang over from the Bengals game.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDog View Post
              I don't have a great feeling about this either way. It sounds like the P5 are going to work really hard on some sort of a compromise. If the legislation does fail and the Big 12 expands, I'm sure UC has a great chance. But even if they do add UC, the bottom line is that they do not want us. Maybe I've still got a hang over from the Bengals game.
              I think you're right. See the story below from the Dallas Morning News yesterday about Bowlsby and company working on a compromise agreement to allow the Big12 to have a Championship Game without having separate divisions. That would probably kill any chance for expansion.
              Bowlsby and the boys at Texas are determined to get their way even if it means destroying the long term viability of the Big 12. Unfortunately this probably isn't going to end well for UC unless the ACC decides to expand.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...romise-options
              Last edited by blackattack; 01-11-2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

I really don't get Bowlsby. The guy is just incredibly closed-minded and lacks vision. It's not even about UC. It's like he's got blinders on.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                  I really don't get Bowlsby. The guy is just incredibly closed-minded and lacks vision. It's not even about UC. It's like he's got blinders on.
                  Don't you think that Bowlsby is just a puppet in this? He's getting his strings pulled from somewhere and I have to assume it's Austin.
                  Anyway all the buildup and chatter about expansion will probably be all about nothing.

Comment

[QUOTE=. If the legislation does fail and the Big 12 expands, I'm sure UC has a great chance. But even if they do add UC, the bottom line is that they do not want us. [/QUOTE]

Yep the article below also makes your point. That the Big12 doesn't really see any viable candidates for expansion. So if the Big12 were somehow forced to expand and take us, we would essentially be the red headed step child.

Comment

SEC Commissioner stated over the weekend that the SEC is not in support of the Big12 Amendment/request... So you have Big10, Pac12, SEC all voting against the Big12 request to pick any 2 teams for a CC game.. they only need two G5 conferences to vote against it and the measure fails and Big12 will be left with the option of sitting at 10 teams or expanding to 12. I would say it is safe to assume that the Big12s bid to have their cake and eat it too, is going to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by 98bearcat View Post
                        SEC Commissioner stated over the weekend that the SEC is not in support of the Big12 Amendment/request... So you have Big10, Pac12, SEC all voting against the Big12 request to pick any 2 teams for a CC game.. they only need two G5 conferences to vote against it and the measure fails and Big12 will be left with the option of sitting at 10 teams or expanding to 12. I would say it is safe to assume that the Big12s bid to have their cake and eat it too, is going to fail.
                        Story below makes it sound like the Big 12 is working behind the scenes for a compromise. So I don't know if that means the vote is meaningless?

Comment

Bowlsby/Big 12 is trying to maneuver their way into not expanding. Which means some things.

1) We're not really wanted but we're the best option if they have to expand.
                          2)They(read Texas) are apparently satisfied with the major possibility of conference implosion.

If they do not expand. OU and Kansas are gone. Red River game be damned, Texas is going to burn yet another bridge because their ego is too damn big. Sad but oh, so Texas.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Here's your list of curmudgeons: The people with expiring terms in 2021 are too new to gauge. The only one I have any faith in from my perch down here is Wallace Hall Jr.

https://www.utsystem.edu/board-of-re...urrent-regents
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

How can they get this agreement without their amendment passing? Is this an agreement to get the votes they need? If it is, wouldn't the proposal have to be re-written and submitted?

The below is quoted from http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...romise-options

"I do not think full deregulation will be accepted but it seems we might have a compromise that might work," Bowlsby said in a text message.

He declined to offer specific details but added that if the Big 12 "could get a situation where we are not forced to play divisions and are not forced [to] expand, we will be OK."

One possibility would be for the Big 12 to guarantee that any championship game with just 10 teams would match its No. 1 and 2 seeded teams.
                              Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

I always thought that the failing of deregulation will not be the saving grace we hoped for. Maybe Okla. or Kansas gets ticked and starts another re-alignment musical chairs. Even then we could end up in a crappy version of the Big 12 based on what would be left. If the dust settles for good and we are on the outside looking in then I feel we should start focusing our money on basketball. We can keep football just for the fun of Saturday afternoons but a heck of a basketball conference could be had from the leftovers of the AAC and Big 12. It would be sorta like the new Big East model of trying to be the best basketball conference you can be except we would still have football.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X