No announcement yet.

Big 12 in 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree. Until legitimate sports and news sites start reporting these rumors I won't get excited. Anyone can start a twitter account and say what their "sources" have told them.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

I think you meant @flugempire

Holding my breath.
      I did mean @flugempire. Thanks for fixing that
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Here's an article that we'll like and UConn will hate: http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/...ence-could-add

I think this article misses the mark on UConn because it doesn't seem to take into account UConn's academic side which is very good.

Re: twitter accounts, Yes it's absolutely true that anyone can set up a twitter and cite "sources". I've definitely seen that done and in one case it was a member of our own fan base trolling other fans. Some of these expansion related accounts are in it for the followers and attention. Some of them will straight block you if you call them out on something that's obviously false and that's a warning sign that they don't know what they're talking about. I've probably followed a good portion of them at one time or another and there's been a learning curve. It's probably not safe to hitch your wagon to any of them but if you're going to, I'd say @Flugempire is the best follow right now. He'll actually admit when he's wrong for starters and post something saying so. Seems to have the best eye for the Big 12. What's interesting is that he seems to have no stake in the league. He's a Minnesota fan. Most of these other accounts seems to be related to a school within the league which makes their viewpoint a little biased towards what going on with school such and such. Anyway, My $.02
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• "The Big 12 missed out on Louisville – an even better natural fit – and now it has a shot at a school destined for the ACC soon if it’s not locked up now."

If there was any evidence that this is true I would rather be in the ACC but I think it is just an opinion only so you can can't count on it.

Comment

• I would much rather be in the ACC too but if it is Big 12 versus this JV Conference for 10 more years I'll take Big 12 NOW!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Judion View Post
              I would much rather be in the ACC too but if it is Big 12 versus this JV Conference for 10 more years I'll take Big 12 NOW!!!!!
              You mean the JV conference that our football team finished 4-4 in 2015? Just sayin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

You mean the JV conference that our football team finished 4-4 in 2015? Just sayin'.
                I take it to mean the JV conference that has ZERO chance of getting a team into the Playoff, ZERO chance of any significant TV money, and Zero chance of getting big time programs into the Nip, regardless of performance.
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I do. That is why we are a better fit for the ACC -- because we can compete in both bball and football more so than the big 12. That being said, I don't know that we couldn't have won four games in the big 12 (iowa state, kansas, kansas state, and wvu). That is of course if our head football coach wasn't already semi retired.

College sports is heading towards a split for Division 1 teams. The haves in power conferences with big boy tv money and the rest. Right now the biggest impact is football (it's killing our recruiting), but when does the athletic budget disparities start impacting our bball team too? I don't want to be on the inside looking out when musical chairs is over. You name the conference and there are doormats in them already that are FAR worse than what we would be in the Big 12.

Comment

• I took the comment to mean that the AAC is beneath UC, when nothing could be further from the truth. Before we go and talk about how the AAC is holding us back, UC needs to win its conference each year, or at least do better than .500 with little or no hope of improvement for next year. I think UC's performance on the field matters just as much as all the factors that President Ono sold UC on - alumni support, endowments, etc. While UC has the potential to do some good things in a power 5 league, it remains to be seen if we can really accomplish a whole lot more on the field/court than what we have now. It's all speculation at this point.

Comment

• i wonder if maryland or rutgers regret going to the big 10?

big12 > aac

Comment

• Originally posted by nolte50uc View Post
                        i wonder if maryland or rutgers regret going to the big 10?

big12 > aac
                        These are words of wisdom. It is obvious that performance on the football field is not what propelled Maryland and Rutgers into the Big 10. But you need a seat at the table to have a shot at the big time, not to mention vastly increased revenue. The two newest members of the BIG are bottom feeders in football currently but I doubt that they wish they were back in their old conferences. Performance on the field appears to be a relatively minor consideration when deciding conference invites. What Dr. Ono is doing is the key.
                        ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

• Originally posted by Judion View Post

I do. That is why we are a better fit for the ACC -- because we can compete in both bball and football more so than the big 12. That being said, I don't know that we couldn't have won four games in the big 12 (iowa state, kansas, kansas state, and wvu). That is of course if our head football coach wasn't already semi retired.

College sports is heading towards a split for Division 1 teams. The haves in power conferences with big boy tv money and the rest. Right now the biggest impact is football (it's killing our recruiting), but when does the athletic budget disparities start impacting our bball team too? I don't want to be on the inside looking out when musical chairs is over. You name the conference and there are doormats in them already that are FAR worse than what we would be in the Big 12.
                          You have made the argument why staying in the AAC is not an alternative. Unfortunately, you can't really be choosy about what p5 you get into. The reality is that if the b12 did not survive, you will have an escape not unlike what happened in the big east with the buyouts compensating those teams remaining. Although you may not be as competitive as you like early on, it's the investment that needs to be made to improve down the road.

Comment

• And the followup from the Enquirer from yesterday http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...g-12/80405222/

Sorry for not posting this earlier. I had a hard drive go south on me yesterday morning.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Also from yesterday:

http://www.frogsowar.com/2016/2/15/1...source=twitter
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• No, I will not post PDoc's horrible short sighted opinion column but if you'd like to read it it's also from yesterday's Enquirer. Ono publicly threw shade at Daugherty, the column was so bad. That's really not like Ono to do that sort of thing in public.

Also it's appears the academia faction is coming out against using general fund money to expand the stadium again if we do get into the Big12 which was something that came up in the article. Anyone who's been around through the late 80s program swoon will recognize this as a repeat tactic. I personally have no problem with a Professor's collective bargaining union arguing in favor of academics or the in the interest of its' members. It's what they should be doing really but a public comment was made by the union head that was probably poorly handled.

Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X