Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also to consider is that schools such as San Diego has to give notice prior to July 1 to get out by 2024. That is if the PAC offers them membership. SMU may have a longer wait.

Comment

• Here is a shocker, a local U may add football to increase enrollment. Here’s what Xavier AD says is the key to adding football - Cincinnati Business Courier (bizjournals.com)

Comment

• Per Jason Scheer, the AZ "Chad Brendel", reported that Colorado brass and B12 brass will meet next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
          Only $20 million to build a stadium? Either they left off a zero or they are expanding enough to put in a field, sidelines, goal posts, and a few tv crew perches.

Also, no mention of Title IX. Will they need to add more women's sports or drop some men's teams?
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Also, no mention of Title IX. Will they need to add more women's sports or drop some men's teams?
            In 2023, there are ways around Title IX requirements.

Comment

Only $20 million to build a stadium? Either they left off a zero or they are expanding enough to put in a field, sidelines, goal posts, and a few tv crew perches.

As I recall, football was exempted from the rules surrounding the comparative number of male and female scholarship athletes at a school. As the article states, XU has a 57-43 ratio of women to men matriculated, and they want to rebalance to some extent.

Comment

I believe that the article said non-scholarship players. That would mean it has no effect on women's sports. Also, I cannot see them having over a couple thousand people in the stands. They may be building a high school stadium with sideline bleachers. I think that they should play in the Greater Cincinnati Catholic League where they would be in the bottom half of the standings.

Comment

• San Diego State says that they will be joining either the PAC or the Big 12. They are the best option in the west. What happens to the PAC if the BIG 12 takes SDSU first? This is just for discussion because I really do not want SDSU in UC's conference. San Diego State' AD confirms the school will join the Pac-12 or Big 12 eventually (msn.com)

Comment

San Diego State says that they will be joining either the PAC or the Big 12. They are the best option in the west. What happens to the PAC if the BIG 12 takes SDSU first? This is just for discussion because I really do not want SDSU in UC's conference. San Diego State' AD confirms the school will join the Pac-12 or Big 12 eventually (msn.com)
                    SD State is a non-starter for Big 12 unless they accept considerably less than other members, but even then I don't like it because all members should be on equal playing field in short span, and SD St hasn't done what is needed to earn a bid. This is similar to the Big 10 chatter that they can add Oregon and Washington for long-term partial shares. I call the BullShoot on this for two reasons. A. They do deserve to be on equal footing in a power conference and have earned it. B If the Big 10 wanted them, they should've added them with UckLa and USC.

Given the moves Yormark has made in his first year, I give him full benefits of the doubt. I have confidence in what he is doing to make the Big 12 as strong as possible. SD State doens't make the Big 12 stronger. The four corners schools do not make the Big 12 stronger. There are only two Pac 10 teams that add value, and those Pacific NW schools are only just now starting to pick up the phone and listen when 3rd party intermediaries call on Yormark's behalf. I hope Yormark is offering both a full tv revenue share beginning July 1, 2024 and an acceptable buyout should the Big 10 come calling later. Neither Oregon or Washington should sign a GoR with the Big 12 or the Pac 10. However, I do believe if they join the Big 12 it will last into the next media deal and past the ACC breakup.

Comment

• With everyone focused on the PAC, I did notice some ACC GoR related chatter that may have been missed. Doing a search for 'ACC media deal' on youtube, I found some online sport commentators talking about various scenarios where the ACC GoR might get challenged soon.

The first scenario would be the ACC being sued outright over the GoR. It is mentioned that this would have the best chance of success as the number of schools suing goes up and that a single school suing is a non-starter.

The second scenario would be one where the top 4 schools (Clemson and Florida St are mentioned more often than most with #3 and #4 being various schools) who feel that they have the best chance or getting into the Big Ten and/or SEC will try to partner with 4 other schools to pay a portion in revenue lost between their ACC deal and a post ACC deal through the period the GoR would have went through. Once the consortium of 8 schools is made, they will use the majority to dissolve the conference freeing them from the GoR. It is mentioned that the only thing holding this back is the ability to find partner schools.

I don't know if any of this would be successful, but it is interesting to hear it discussed.

Comment

• Illuminerdski, it has been said that the best way for the GOR of the ACC to be broken is that the majority of the teams vote to dissolve it. If over half of the teams feel that they will be picked up by either the BIG 10 or the SEC, it may just happen. So, let's try to figure out just who the SEC or BIG10 might be interested in. These teams would be FSU, Clemson, Miami, and then who?

Comment

• This is just one talking head that believes that the PAC can only get 7 votes on their media rights deal. They need to get to 8. Pac-12 Death Blow? Broadcast Expert Williams Breaks Down Apple Media Rights Offer for Pac-12 Content - Bing video
                          I doubt if he knows anything about what the current deals look like.

Comment

Illuminerdski, it has been said that the best way for the GOR of the ACC to be broken is that the majority of the teams vote to dissolve it. If over half of the teams feel that they will be picked up by either the BIG 10 or the SEC, it may just happen. So, let's try to figure out just who the SEC or BIG10 might be interested in. These teams would be FSU, Clemson, Miami, and then who?
                            FSU and Clemson could go either Big10 or SEC
                            Big10 also would like Virginia and North Carolina, per various sources,
                            SEC would also like Miami

That's only five. Some others may think SEC or Big10 would take them or there are unsabstantiated rumors, like BC to Big, Duke and N Carolina as package deals, but those five are the only "locks" and conferences don't like to expand to uneven numbers so it will be a fight between SEC and Big10 who gets two or four. Honestly, I think Big10 can cherry pick since they control more money and are not on ESPN, which owns current ACC deal and would try to stop ACC breakup since they are losing money. For sake of argument, let's assume SEC and Big 10 takes the top six between them, then maybe another 4 find a home in the Big 12

Big Ten - N Carolina, Clemson, FSU, and Miami would be the homerun, but some could go to SEC or Big 10, including Virginia and Duke, so these six are gone in heartbeat for either conference. Just imagine an SEC basketball tourney with UK, UNC, and Duke...plus the other rising SEC teams. sorry got on a sidebar, and even with football being realignment king, Duke basketball might be enough, even though Kansas basketball isn't.

Big 12 easily has interest in Pitt, Loserville,

Do any of these float your boat to the Big 12: Va Tech, Ga Tech, NC State, BC, Cuse, or Wake?

Net - 8 teams easily have a new home. minimum two others will be taken just so a conference doesn't get left behind.

P.S. If Big ten takes the top four ACC teams, that is a nightmare for the Pac10 and could open up Big 12 expansion to add higher profile Pac 10 teams than four corners.

Comment

• This is an interesting read about how much each Big 10 football team is worth and it mixes in USC and UCLA. Which are richest and poorest football programs in Big Ten? (And where do the new L.A. schools fit in?) | Jones | Basketball | lancasteronline.com
                              It is no wonder why many universities just cannot compete with the upper third of that conference.

Comment

• It appears that Amazon is out of the PAC deal and all others are looking to get basement bargain rates. Pac-12 media rights negotiations: Potential partner 'unlikely' to make a deal with conference (msn.com)

This references a source that Colorado and Arizona will be leaving the PAC after Memorial Day. Pac-12 TV negotiations reaching critical stage as mood, atmosphere grow more stressful (msn.com)
                                Last edited by bearcatbret; 05-12-2023, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X