Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything to the reports that the Big 10 has vetted Oregon and UDub?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...brett-mcmurphy
    Last edited by red_n_black_attack; 05-14-2023, 04:46 PM.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
      Is there anything to the reports that the Big 10 has vetted Oregon and UDub?
      I do not believe anything that I read. That being said, I am fascinated with all of the predictions and rumors because they all seem to contradict each other. I suspect that the PAC is sweating bullets right now and are scared to death of becoming irrelevant. Given their pompous attitude and inflated egos, they have to be besides themselves because they have become a comedian's dream. I have read where the BIG 10 does not want Oregon and Washington because studies have shown that they do not bring TV revenue. I have also read that the Big 10 is waiting to pick off the ACC.

Now the McMurphy article says that Oregon and W have admitted to being vetted. I wonder if that is true. Here are a few things that race through my 2-dimensional mind. First, Oregon and Washington have said this and it is so they can control the PAC media distribution. Second, it was not Oregon or Washington but some other force that has the desire to undermine the PAC. This could be a TV outlet or another conference. Third, maybe the BIG 10 has vetted them and the news leaked out so that part of the four corner schools' bolts. This is because the Big 10 does not want to be the ones who collapsed the PAC.

Again, I find this very interesting because it kind of reminds me of the old Big East where it became every school for themselves, and the leftovers had to become the AAC. Everything may be okay with the PAC but the longer this drags on and with more news like this one coming out daily, it has to make the existing teams of the PAC worried and it may make potential new teams stay away such as it happened with the old Big East. Remember that one article stated that Colorado and Arizona were going to announce after Memorial Day that they are moving to the Big 12.

Comment

• Lane change.

The FSU AD is not happy with the fact the UCF has a better TV deal than FSU has. He's out here again not being shy about FSU getting a uneven distribution from the ACC. Sounds like Clemson and Miami aren't particularly happy either based on his phrasing. The ACC summer meetings will be fun.
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I saw that article about FSU and thought it was like whining. Here is the article - FSU AD Michael Alford: Idea that UCF could have better media deal ‘just not acceptable to us’ (msn.com)

Here is an interesting read about the state of the Power 5. Expansion, realignment and what’s next for ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 - Sports Illustrated
          Last edited by bearcatbret; 05-15-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
            I saw that article about FSU and thought it was like whining. Here is the article - FSU AD Michael Alford: Idea that UCF could have better media deal ‘just not acceptable to us’ (msn.com)
            i think the ACC will be above / at the B12's payout, until the B12's next deal, in 2031. That's when the B12 will pass the ACC, as the ACC is locked in, until 2026. I think FSU knows it will take a while to get out of the ACC, assuming they even can, and is looking at that 2031 date as armageddon - when the riff raff (ucf, uc, etc) makes more. he's got some time, but he wants to get 'er done well before then.

Comment

• Originally posted by D.A.H. View Post

i think the ACC will be above / at the B12's payout, until the B12's next deal, in 2031. That's when the B12 will pass the ACC, as the ACC is locked in, until 2026. I think FSU knows it will take a while to get out of the ACC, assuming they even can, and is looking at that 2031 date as armageddon - when the riff raff (ucf, uc, etc) makes more. he's got some time, but he wants to get 'er done well before then.
              The ACC is locked into a deal that pays 16-17 million/team per year through 2036. Florida State is popping blood vessels at the prospect that UCF will make nearly twice as much money from the Big 12 than they make in the ACC, and UCF will likely make even more in our next Big 12 media deal. This is why there is speculation the ACC may vote to dissolve. 4-6 ACC teams would easily land in Big 10 or SEC and almost immediately make 6-8 times more per year, with another at least 4 ACC teams finding a home in the Big 12 "only making twice" their current revenue. If 9 ACC teams vote to dissolve the conference, then the ACC GoR is dissolved and teams can move conferences. I see the ACC imploding within a matter of months (9-15 months or less). The ACC is not waiting until 2031.

Comment

• https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/1...-5-conferences

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy
                Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools, sources told
                @ActionNetworkHQ
                . These schools,
                @RossDellenger
                reported, have met in past several months, w/lawyers examining grant-of-rights to determine just how unbreakable it is. ACC deal runs thru 2036

Get ready to hold on folks! Two big credible journalists dropping nukes on conference realignment. Dellenger's article talks about how the Big XII is gunning for the 4 corner schools, but has a list of G5 that include UNLV and Memphis if the 4C plan doesn't work. Also speaks on the 7, who McMurphy outs in his tweet. Heard SDSU exit fees triple June 30th so something may happen before then.
                Last edited by True Bearcat; 05-15-2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by True Bearcat View Post
                  https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/1...-5-conferences

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy
                  Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools, sources told
                  @ActionNetworkHQ
                  . These schools,
                  @RossDellenger
                  reported, have met in past several months, w/lawyers examining grant-of-rights to determine just how unbreakable it is. ACC deal runs thru 2036

Get ready to hold on folks! Two big credible journalists dropping nukes on conference realignment. Dellenger's article talks about how the Big XII is gunning for the 4 corner schools, but has a list of G5 that include UNLV and Memphis if the 4C plan doesn't work. Also speaks on the 7, who McMurphy outs in his tweet. Heard SDSU exit fees triple June 30th so something may happen before then.
                  If ACC implodes, Big 12 would go east before Pac10 or G5. Imagine likes of Ga Tech, NC St, Va Tech, Pitt, or Loserville in the Big 12. Any are better than 4 corners.

Comment

• If the ACC implodes, would we prefer to be in a reformed ACC with our more traditional (and closer) rival schools if the money is about the same? I'd prefer to be playing Pitt and UL than Texas Tech & Iowa State. Easy away games to drive to as well. The other obvious option is the Big12 takes 4-6 teams (Wake Forest & Boston College move to AAC), but if they expand now with PAC teams that might make us TOO big
                    Last edited by Chewbacca2099; 05-16-2023, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• I have been reading the replies to the embedded tweet. They are all calculating where each school from the AAC goes. It is parallel to replies to the PAC tweets. Just interesting to see the east coast take on the importance of each school and where they think those schools belong. However, if I were Washington or Oregon, I would be worried about being left out.

New Report Reveals Seven Schools Actively Exploring Circumventing ACC's Grant of Rights (msn.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
                        If the ACC implodes, would we prefer to be in a reformed ACC with our more traditional (and closer) rival schools if the money is about the same? I'd prefer to be playing Pitt and UL than Texas Tech & Iowa State. Easy away games to drive to as well. The other obvious option is the Big12 takes 4-6 teams (Wake Forest & Boston College move to AAC), but if they expand now with PAC teams that might make us TOO big
                        According to reports, Brent Yormark is aware of and monitoring the situation. I like your obvious choice to add more ACC teams to Big 12, but it also depends on who blinks first.
                        My dream scenario is both ACC and PAC10 implode with the Big 10 taking three ACC schools plus Noter Shame. and the SEC taking two ACC schools. Assume Clemson, FSU, UNC, Virginia, and Miami are off the board and no Pac10 schools go to the big two. Then the Big 12 adds Oregon, Washington, Pitt, Va Tech, NC State and one of these three Ga Tech or Duke or Arizona to get to 18 teams, I doubt 20 teams is in Networks interest, but could be wrong.

Comment

• Red_n_Black, do you leave Louisville intentionally? Why not bring them into the Big 12?

Since reading some of the replies to McMurphy's tweet, I started down memory lane. Fans from some schools who now look down on schools like UC seem to forget that VTech, Louisville, FSU and S. Carolina were in the same conference (the Metro) as UC until the late 80's. That was a heck of a basketball conference. Yes, I know all of those schools were football independent. It is interesting too that fans think that all of the ACC teams would go to other Power Conferences if the ACC falls apart. They seem to forget about the collapse of the Big East football. Also, FSU says that they cannot compete with the paltry TV money that they are getting. Yes, there is a big drop from the Big10/SEC to the other Power 5 conferences but then there is a significant drop down to the AAC and MW then there is next to nothing after that. All that said, I suspect that starting in the 2030's, there will be a huge shift in realignment, kind of a NFL arrangement.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                            Red_n_Black, do you leave Louisville intentionally? Why not bring them into the Big 12?

Since reading some of the replies to McMurphy's tweet, I started down memory lane. Fans from some schools who now look down on schools like UC seem to forget that VTech, Louisville, FSU and S. Carolina were in the same conference (the Metro) as UC until the late 80's. That was a heck of a basketball conference. Yes, I know all of those schools were football independent. It is interesting too that fans think that all of the ACC teams would go to other Power Conferences if the ACC falls apart. They seem to forget about the collapse of the Big East football. Also, FSU says that they cannot compete with the paltry TV money that they are getting. Yes, there is a big drop from the Big10/SEC to the other Power 5 conferences but then there is a significant drop down to the AAC and MW then there is next to nothing after that. All that said, I suspect that starting in the 2030's, there will be a huge shift in realignment, kind of a NFL arrangement.
                            I forgot Loserville on accident, but at this point, I am good with them being relegated to the AAC or Sunbelt. Their athletic department is in a shambles after Jurich, bleeding money and I'm okay if they wither on the vine. I only see 8, maybe 9 ACC teams landing in Big 10, SEC, or Big 12. At one point, Loserville was near top of my wish list due to proximity, long/storied rivalries, and they were a top notch get. Now, I think they are in a battle for the 9th spot.

Comment

• And here we go .... Loserville added to the “Magnificent Seven” to challenge the ACC Grant of Rights.

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Loserville

Comment

• https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...458116096?s=20

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X