Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Oregon the preferred team of the BIG 10 over UCLA? Did Fox squash that in order to have the LA market completely tied up? Will the BIG 10 come back for Oregon? This rumor has to have the rest of the PAC (and their media suitors) worried. Pac-12 President Reveals Big Ten Preferred Another School Over UCLA (msn.com)

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
      Was Oregon the preferred team of the BIG 10 over UCLA? Did Fox squash that in order to have the LA market completely tied up? Will the BIG 10 come back for Oregon? This rumor has to have the rest of the PAC (and their media suitors) worried. Pac-12 President Reveals Big Ten Preferred Another School Over UCLA (msn.com)
      I don't think it is likely that Robbins knew of any initial talks between Big 10 and USC, much less that Oregon was a preferred choice over UCLA. Everyone was stunned when this news broke and it only broke with announcement of USC and UCLA. Robbins' speculation may be true, and it is brilliant if Fox wanted to tie up the entire LA market in one fell swoop, but no one saw that coming.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I don't think it is likely that Robbins knew of any initial talks between Big 10 and USC, much less that Oregon was a preferred choice over UCLA. Everyone was stunned when this news broke and it only broke with announcement of USC and UCLA. Robbins' speculation may be true, and it is brilliant if Fox wanted to tie up the entire LA market in one fell swoop, but no one saw that coming.
        I agree with you. My point was that with rumors about the Big 10 having even more interest in Oregon cannot be good news for the other members or the media companies trying to negotiate a deal.

In other news, Forbes is reporting that a streaming service for the PAC 12 media rights would be a great fit because of the relationship between the PAC and tech valley. There is even a silicon forest in Oregon. Is this a way to soften the news that the primary account will be with Amazon or Apple?

Comment

I agree with you. My point was that with rumors about the Big 10 having even more interest in Oregon cannot be good news for the other members or the media companies trying to negotiate a deal.

In other news, Forbes is reporting that a streaming service for the PAC 12 media rights would be a great fit because of the relationship between the PAC and tech valley. There is even a silicon forest in Oregon. Is this a way to soften the news that the primary account will be with Amazon or Apple?
          A lot of folks in media have stated that Amazon only wants game of the week stuff from the PAC and Apple doesn’t seem to be interested. Makes you wonder who’s bluffing.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

A lot of folks in media have stated that Amazon only wants game of the week stuff from the PAC and Apple doesn’t seem to be interested. Makes you wonder who’s bluffing.
            This states that the deal is close to being finalized including ESPN, Amazon and Apple. It also says that nobody really knows. There is a Zoom meeting with the presidents this week. Future of Pac-12 at stake for George Kliavkoff as media-rights saga nears conclusion | The Seattle Times If ESPN is not involved, there will be no highlights, no mention, no coverage of the conference on TV.

Comment

If ESPN is not involved, there will be no highlights, no mention, no coverage of the conference on TV.
              Are you sure about that? SportsCenter has shown SEC highlights from CBS and Noter Shame highlights from NBC and other Fox games. I'd guess ESPN pays a small fee for each of those as part of the production cost, or has a negatiated fee to show no more than X amount of time for each game. The games on ESPN/ABC get much more playing time, but the others still get a mention. I'd hope Apple/Amazon would do the same thing to help maximize exposure. If not, you are correct, streaming will nearly kill Pac 10 viewership.

Comment

Are you sure about that? SportsCenter has shown SEC highlights from CBS and Noter Shame highlights from NBC and other Fox games. I'd guess ESPN pays a small fee for each of those as part of the production cost, or has a negatiated fee to show no more than X amount of time for each game. The games on ESPN/ABC get much more playing time, but the others still get a mention. I'd hope Apple/Amazon would do the same thing to help maximize exposure. If not, you are correct, streaming will nearly kill Pac 10 viewership.
                Just for comparison's sake, they're have been plenty of NFL highlights shown on ESPN that were pulled from the Amazon Thursday NIght football streaming broadcasts.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Fresno State confirms big 12 contact

https://247sports.com/Article/Confer...ogs-207287554/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• I am not doubting the contact between the Big 12 and Fresno but I suspect that it may be a warning to certain PAC 12 schools that if they do not join soon, then there will not be an opening or opportunity for them later. If contacting Fresno were true, I would say that the Big 12 should go after SDU first and steal them from the PAC and make the PAC go after Fresno. I will not believe anything until a media rights deal has been announced. There are stories that Amazon is going after soccer and if they do, the PAC may be out of any good deal with Amazon. With all of the layoffs and cutbacks in media and big-tech, the PAC may be having troubles landing that media rights deal that they all think that they will get. If no deal for the PAC is announced by mid-April, I think then, you will see some heavy rumors about defections. Like some have said, there are companies out there looking for pennies on the dollar deal with the PAC.

Comment

• Greg Swaim claiming Big 12 is talking durectly or thru intermediary with all four corners schools, probably others. He is also reporting ESPN bid is $90 million/year for whole conference for 1 game on network and one game on streaming plus per week. That's barely MWC and AAC value.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...smc9QhKCA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...YPMxv8KMQ&s=19

Comment

Greg Swaim claiming Big 12 is talking durectly or thru intermediary with all four corners schools, probably others. He is also reporting ESPN bid is $90 million/year for whole conference for 1 game on network and one game on streaming plus per week. That's barely MWC and AAC value.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...smc9QhKCA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/16...YPMxv8KMQ&s=19
                        A. I'm confused at the 90M. Did you mean PAC 12 there?
                        B. Greg Swaim is not credible in my opinion. He's a talk radio guy. Anything for ratings. I called him on his BS years ago and he blocked me.
                        Last edited by Lobot; 03-28-2023, 06:18 PM.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

A. I'm confused at the 90M. Did you mean PAC 12 there?
                          B. Greg Swaim is not credible in my opinion. He's a talk radio guy. Anything for ratings. I called him on his BS years ago and he blocked me.
                          Yes 90 million offer to Pac10 for whole conference

Comment

• Meanwhile, the talking heads at the off media market are talking about how the PAC needs to be creative with their streaming services. Pac-12 needs to bring Amazon and Apple into original football time-slotting (yahoo.com) I somewhat believe that ESPN offered that. Everyone has been talking about pennies on the dollar and streaming services would be the last best hope.

Comment

• Nick Khan weighs in on several topics including the PAC 12. Not looking good.
                              WWE CEO Nick Khan offers insight on upcoming Pac-12, NBA, and WWE media deals (awfulannouncing.com)

Comment

• Could the Big 10 poach the ACC Commissioner? How the Big Ten’s search for next commish could impact the ACC | The Clemson Insider

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X