Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAC12 has agreed to terms on a Grant of Rights per Stew Mandel but nothing has been signed and won’t be until the media deal is known.

I’m also seeing that Arizona is leaving the door open to a move in addition to Colorado. This all in the event the PAC12 media deal stinks.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Supposedly from a couple of sources in the west, the PAC 12 media rights deal is expected in 2 weeks. Every other attempt at guessing the time line here has been wrong
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        PAC12 has agreed to terms on a Grant of Rights per Stew Mandel but nothing has been signed and won’t be until the media deal is known.

I’m also seeing that Arizona is leaving the door open to a move in addition to Colorado. This all in the event the PAC12 media deal stinks.
        When they find out the media deal sucks... it will unfold quickly. I think it's clear AZ, ASU, and CU will jump at a Big 12 offer. The wild card is will UW/Oregon get that golden Big10 invite.

Nothing will include ACC this round. Their GoR will eventually fall apart when the next tv contracts leave ACC team even further behind.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• It appears that the PAC expects that their media deal will be the same as their last one and similar to the Big 12. Pac-12 could have media rights deal by end of June, Washington State president says - The Athletic

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
            It appears that the PAC expects that their media deal will be the same as their last one and similar to the Big 12. Pac-12 could have media rights deal by end of June, Washington State president says - The Athletic
            This would confirm what I thought all along: Pac 12 schools won't be leaving and joining the Big 12. The deal would have to be for substantially less before they would begrudgingly come to the Big 12. They all along wanted to stay in the Pac 12. Yormark did alot of talking, and I believe he tried, but ends up looking a little foolish to me. Now once Oregon, Washington, Stanford or Cal leave for the Big Ten then we will have the wild west of expansion again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

This would confirm what I thought all along: Pac 12 schools won't be leaving and joining the Big 12. The deal would have to be for substantially less before they would begrudgingly come to the Big 12. They all along wanted to stay in the Pac 12. Yormark did alot of talking, and I believe he tried, but ends up looking a little foolish to me. Now once Oregon, Washington, Stanford or Cal leave for the Big Ten then we will have the wild west of expansion again.
              I am not sure that the Big Ten is eyeing Washington and Oregon right now. Remember that this is about TV markets. I have read that the Big Ten may wait out the ACC's grant of rights and get a foothold in the southeast. But then again, in the mid 2030's, there may be two leagues modelled after the NFL. I just hope that UC is invited to that dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

I am not sure that the Big Ten is eyeing Washington and Oregon right now. Remember that this is about TV markets. I have read that the Big Ten may wait out the ACC's grant of rights and get a foothold in the southeast. But then again, in the mid 2030's, there may be two leagues modelled after the NFL. I just hope that UC is invited to that dance.
                I don't know how much markets matter now. It used to be about markets because conferences were selling their conference networks to cable providers but I think it will be about streaming soon which means the whole world would potentially be in your market. I agree with you that once the dust has settled I hope we are with the big boys.
                Last edited by Bearcats1232002; 06-11-2023, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• As Lord Peter Wimsey would say, “the only one who knows for sure is the corpse, and he ain’t sayin.” All the speculation from whatever media or “insider” source is worthless. I’ll wait to see.

Comment

• Thamel on Colorado. ESPN+ Article ($)

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-12-big-12-acc
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The Thamel article is a welcome summary. I'm getting a bit tired of writers supposing what will happen or making predictions. This summarizes most of the events/possibilities over the past 5/6 months and what is possible in the future.
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• From Berry Tramel in The Oklahoman, first of 3 parts on UC entering the Big 12.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/spor...l/70312806007/

Comment

• Sources: San Diego St. tells Mountain West it plans to exit

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...est-plans-exit

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            Sources: San Diego St. tells Mountain West it plans to exit

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...est-plans-exit
                            As the article states, the Aztecs are just "asking for an extension", not officially leaving ... yet. There's no doubt they're poised to eject from the MWC, but they're hoping the MWC will give them a break on the exit fees. Rotsa ruck.

It's generally assumed that SDSU will wind up in whatever's left of the PAC, but if they fail to exit formally by 6/30/23, the fee doubles to about $34M. Hence, the plea for an extension, in case the PAC can't respond to their application with an invite.

Comment

• This is a mess. There’s been like 3 letters back and forth. One of which was “don’t withhold our distribution please”
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Here is more speculation after the San Diego State news. Pac-12 media rights deal takes center stage after San Diego State movement (yahoo.com)

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X