X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bearcatbret
    replied
    I am not sure if the AAC teams would leave to form a new PAC (new AAC) because it seems that it would be $7m per year per school max and that is what the AAC is currently getting. Plus, those teams could not leave for 2 years minimum. Also, I sure hope that the Big 12 doesn't pick them up.

Leave a comment:

• Chewbacca2099
    replied
    ESPN reporting the ACC expansion plans are dead. We'll probably hear that ESPN is pushing the Big12 to pick them up again soon. Or they will make some sort of new AAC type of conference with the 4 leftovers plus whoever else is left. Think SMU, Memphis, CSU, SDSU types

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    If you thought my thoughts on realignment were kind of off, Chris Vannini goes even farther here ($)

https://theathletic.com/4750009/2023...nt-tv-revenue/

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Sounds like all Big 12 teams will get full revenue shares in 2024-25. So while UC/Houston/BYU/Houston won't this year, the new Pac 12 additions will come in the following year with full shares.
    From Justin Williams via "X": Statement from the Big 12 regarding media-rights revenue sharing and partial membership status for the four members joining this season: “The two-year revenue distribution phase-ins for BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF remain unchanged by the Big 12’s expansion to 16 members.”

In other words, UC will receive the $19M they agreed to for 2024-25, then get a full share once the new B12 media deal kicks in. The Four Corners schools each will receive $31.7M.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Sounds like all Big 12 teams will get full revenue shares in 2024-25. So while UC/Houston/BYU/Houston won't this year, the new Pac 12 additions will come in the following year with full shares.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcated View Post
    My snide comments aside. I think the Pac-12 is still possibly salvageable. Add SDSU (very good hoops, OK FB), Colorado St (arguably better than CO anyway), UNLV, Boise St (Idaho was in the original league so not a reach), Maybe Fresno St. Then go after Gonzaga and St Marys in hoops and they are back in business. 8 or 9 FB and 10 or 11 all sports. Not as good as before, but still plausible.
    This scenario is very unlikely to unfold. The PAC has no media contract after next June and is unlikely to get one. The other problem is that the MWC schools wouldn't be able to move to a reformulated PAC without paying $34M each in exit fees. The only way to avoid the fees would be for at least nine MWC members to vote for dissolution of the conference. If I'm the brass at those schools, why make what could best be called a lateral move?

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey is on records as saying that P5 status needs to be reevaluated. Any new PAC would be left out. The current MWC schools would be in no better shape than they are now.

So, in my opinion, the PAC is as dead as Forest Fair Mall.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Are they also vetting SDSU in case FSU does not leave? Do they want the Dallas/TX market more than the Southern California market? Does SMU meet their grades better than SDSU? I think that it is totally ridiculous that the ACC is looking at the PAC 4 to throw them a lifeline unless ESPN wants the west coast after dark market. A question for you, if the ACC expands, does that provide an escape path for FSU and Clemson?
    Having lived in both cities, I can pretty much you tell that Dallas is a pro sports city. No one watches SMU here. San Diego is a baseball and soccer city (Mexican National Team). SDSU doesn't move the needle much on TV out there either although things have gotten better with a new smaller stadium and the Chargers leaving town.
    Last edited by Lobot; 08-09-2023, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bearcated
    replied
    My snide comments aside. I think the Pac-12 is still possibly salvageable. Add SDSU (very good hoops, OK FB), Colorado St (arguably better than CO anyway), UNLV, Boise St (Idaho was in the original league so not a reach), Maybe Fresno St. Then go after Gonzaga and St Marys in hoops and they are back in business. 8 or 9 FB and 10 or 11 all sports. Not as good as before, but still plausible.

Leave a comment:

• bearcated
    replied
    Has Bill Walton been reached for comment ('Conference of Champions')?

Leave a comment:

• bearcated
    replied
    Oh man, I'm ticked! I just went and got Apple TV so I could watch the new Pac 12 package, and look what happened!

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    I kind of wished that I had kept the link. I believe that it may have been from the Athletic (not sure) but it did have a UK slant. The concept was that the Power Leagues would come down to 4 divisions of 8 teams each. UK did not make the list (neither did UC). The selection was more about legacy versus what have you done lately.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
    WHERE DOES IT END? HOW MUCH MONEY IS ENOUGH (Florida State, UCLA, and USC)? WHAT GOOD IS THE NCAA? Look at how the NCAA has let this conference realignment thing to get TOTALLY out of control.

<snip>

The NCAA should have put a stop to this CRAZY conference realignment years ago. However, the NCAA is composed of the very schools that feel as though they need more money. The real beauty of college sports is in its regional connections. I would much rather see a Michigan-Ohio State game than a Ohio State-UCLA game. Other fans may feel differently. Also, with conferences having more regional connections, the parents, friends, and fans of the athletes and the universities can attend games with greater ease and without spending thousands of dollars flying all over the %^$#@#% country to see their kid play. Additionally, TV money may also be driving these crazy college realignments. That is just my thought without any evidence to support that statement.

Maybe, just maybe, one day we can get back to college conferences that make sense for the athletes, families, friends, and fans.
    I feel you on this but one thing I wanted to point out here is that NCAA is toothless right now. They’re having a hard doing anything to member schools and athletes without ending up in court. When they get to court, they lose.

What we might see here is FBS football consolidating to 4 super leagues and ditching the NCAA as an oversight body completely. The remaining FBS schools in the MAC, AAC, CUSA, MWC and Sun Belt and maybe the even the PAC, will be playing for a different championship.

Greg Sankey yesterday called for reevaluation the CFP expansion framework because nothing is the same as it was when that agreement was reached.

It’s a damn good thing we made it to the Big XII before all this went down.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Jon Wilner just posted an article that said the PAC had invites out to SMU and SDSU and the whole thing collapsed on them due to Oregon and Washington leaving.

I’m seeing a lot of stuff about the PAC brand continuing by taking the existing 4 and adding SMU, SDSU, Fresno St and Boise St. first, and possibly UNLV and Colorado St. to get to 10.

Also saw some rumblings Re: Gonzaga in basketball + 1 more.

Someone stated earlier that ESPN does want late night inventory because they currently don’t have any games slotted there with the new B1G jumping ship on them.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Are they also vetting SDSU in case FSU does not leave? Do they want the Dallas/TX market more than the Southern California market? Does SMU meet their grades better than SDSU? I think that it is totally ridiculous that the ACC is looking at the PAC 4 to throw them a lifeline unless ESPN wants the west coast after dark market. A question for you, if the ACC expands, does that provide an escape path for FSU and Clemson?
    If they expand will they need to sign a new GoR and tv contract or just the new schools? I don't believe existing schools would get an opt out option or need to re-sign the GoR. If this does provide an out to FSU, many teams will follow FSU and Clemson. The past two weeks have been huge in shaping end game for realignment, but this could trigger a move to three 20 team conferences way sooner than expected.

P.S. - you are correct, ESPN would rather have the Pac4 in the ACC at "discounted" ACC contract rates than in the Big 12.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    ACC is vetting SMU as tag along for Stanford and Cal. I’m guessing they are assuming they’ll lose FSU?

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X